Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drums 2 - the solo.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Syphor

Yeah mate

I'd be definately into seeing that ,i need some help after buying a helix 18 firewire board, the thing is still sitting in it's box i'v tryed to use it 3 times to record drums and read the manual twice and still can't get any joy so any tutoring in any recording style on any desk would be great, your bound to learn something

cheers
    jay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hamester

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Pull a sickie ya Lightweight!

Here's some of the people Rupert has worked with ....

http://www.mezzrow.co.uk/Logictoolbox/Logicnamedrop.html

I'm not a lightweight, I'm a professional!!! Something many people in the Irish music industry could learn from!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Syphor

yeah absolutely

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

I'd defo be up for this. Sounds like it'd be well worth the time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

So that's 12 might attend and 3 Pricks ....

I'm not sure that's enough to warrant the effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Aw, don't throw in the towel yet Paul... looks like there is some genuine interest (me included!)

Do you need a minimum number of attendees for it to be viable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

This was mentioned on the Irish Drumming forums, of which DaDumTish is a mod (I think) so there might be some interest there??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

You didn't count me and I am a total prickkobal_prick460.jpg

Telepaul... that was me who posted the link on the drummingireland forum... 46 views of the thread, but no responses yet

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭fitz

I haven't voted, but if this were on a weekend I'd be interested in attending also...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I'll show you how to get a good drum sound in Westland!;)

Don't bother with the dead room, move the piano and set up there instead. Apart from being a bugger to get near a kit in there, it's never used for drums the line of sight into the main room is poor. I started working there in '96 I've seen it used for drums once.

The drum sound in the main room is very much governed by where you put the screens, the room is quite neutral but there's very little hi end in the reflections. You'll usually end up with more ambience on the kik then on the snare. More whoop than boosh!!!

Hi Studiorat... these are probably stupid questions, so apologies in advance... when you talk about screens in the drum room, what do you mean? Are they partitions/movable walls? Do they absorb the sound or reflect it?

My home setup is a c.10x10ft room… it’s pretty dead at this stage. I’ve placed Rockwool in loose bags/cushion covers around the room to deaden the room sound, which is pretty gank. The kit is on a wooden floor, but aside from that, the surfaces are either loose carpet or Rockwool in bags.

Are there any benefits of trying to use these screen in a dead room like mine?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

sounds great, if i can get away, depending on the day, id definitely pay for this

studiorat wrote: »
    I'll show you how to get a good drum sound in Westland!;)

Please do!

It's a pity one side of those screens isn't hard, we could liven up the room a bit then.

I'm sure between yourself, Rupert and hopefully Tweeky, youse can show a heap o lads good stuff in very little time.

I hope I'll have the NS10,000s ready by then too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Telepaul... that was me who posted the link on the drummingireland forum... 46 views of the thread, but no responses yet

Cool cool so.

Saturday November 8th may be a runner.

It looks like Rupert and the Studio is available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Hi Studiorat... these are probably stupid questions, so apologies in advance... when you talk about screens in the drum room, what do you mean? Are they partitions/movable walls? Do they absorb the sound or reflect it?
    They absorb and reflect, they also allow you to change the size of the room.

My home setup is a c.10x10ft room… it’s pretty dead at this stage. I’ve placed Rockwool in loose bags/cushion covers around the room to deaden the room sound, which is pretty gank. The kit is on a wooden floor, but aside from that, the surfaces are either loose carpet or Rockwool in bags.

Are there any benefits of trying to use these screen in a dead room like mine?

The screens or baffles, are movable and are absorbant on the bottom half and have perspex windows on the top half so you can see through. They are on wheels so you can move them around.

I'd say 2 or 3 screens could be handy in a room like yours for vocals and acoustic guitars etc. They let you change the shape of the room aswell as set up areas for a couple of musicians to play together and not have too much spill.

You could store them along the wall if when not in use so they don't take up too much room.

Here's a link to a forum where some guys are talking about how to build them http://www.3daudioinc.com/3db/showthread.php?t=6537

Saturday November 8th may be a runner.

It looks like Rupert and the Studio is available.

Sat 8th it won't be!

Advertisement