Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVC Window Guarantees - Help / Advice Please

Options
  • 02-10-2008 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi Guys,

I hope this is the right forum to ask for help. I ususlly hang around the renewable energy sections - lurking and hopefully learning.

The PVC windows in our property ( installed as a new private build about 6 years ago ) are leaking at the seams wind and rainwater is coming through the seams. These are REHAU Oak PVC windows but the company that originally installed them has gone bust ( about 6 times ) since then.

We did not build the property but bought it from thr original owner.

Question is do we have any comeback or guarantee directly with REHAU. Or is it the case that as the installer is no longer in business we have no protection.

Without sounding obnoctious I am looking here for someone who actually knows the answer - not someone to guess - I can do that.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,108 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to consumer issues

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Legally I believe the statute of limitations does not allow you to sue outside of 6 years.

Is the water coming through the actual windows themselves or as a result of how they were fitted? When did this problem first show up? Did any manufacturer guarentee come with the windows at the time? Have you contacted REHAU?

The only way you are going to get "someone who actually knows the answer - not someone to guess" is to contact a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Rehau windows shouldn't be too bad generally. It could be an issue with installation. I would write to rehau, tell them your windows leak, include some photographs, and ask them what they propose you do to get it resolved.

They might just fix it.

It will be very difficult to get legal comeback. Buying a house isn't like buying a consumer good. It's generally sold on an as-is basis.

Even if you did have comeback, it would probably be with the person who sold you the house, not with rehau directly.

Sometimes homebond can have a role to play, but I doubt they would really help much.

Anyway, I would talk to rehau before anything else. They may do you a good deal or at least put you on the right track. Resolving this is probably going to cost you something though.

Advertisement