Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin Sat-Nav 48 euro tesco

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

One stand at the Ideal Homes Exhibition was selling the GPS system's, saw the Garmin 200W for the bargain price of .................€199.00! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭kindalen

is the tom tom at €80 worth getting?i know its only uk and roi,how easy is it to load euro maps?would i need another sd card?

will be in uk next week and can get a garmin nuvi 250 for £70 in carphonewarehouse either...

which would be my best option?

ta muchly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ You'd probably have to pay for the Europe maps? Check that the CPW 250 has them before you buy it.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

will be in uk next week and can get a garmin nuvi 250 for £70 in carphonewarehouse either...

Considering similar. Details here: http://shop.carphonewarehouse.com/accessories/garmin-nuvi-/250-black/

Doesn't explicitly say it's Euro maps but Garmin site seems to say it will have Euro maps and Nuvi 200 has the UK/IE maps.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Interesting. Will that price be applicable in their stores as well as online? Girlfriend is heading to Omagh on Monday, might ask her to pick one up, at about €90, it's not a bad price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

I got one of these and when I registered to get my map update, I wasn't offered any downloads, however it said it updated it. After checking the map version on the unit, I confirmed that the maps were not updated. It must have just updated the software.

Logged onto garmin and saw that my unit had its first satellite acquisition in 2007! WTF. Mailed garmin support and they said it can happen in the factory so forward my receipt (scanned it in) and they'll send me the update. So I got the Europe Maps 2009 NT download. About 2.5 GB in size.

Now this app would not let me copy any maps to an SD card only my unit. But after a bit of reading I found that if you used MapSource, that would allow you to copy them to an SD. So see this link on details of how to get this. So Europe for free... eventually.

So if you got one of these units (or any unit lately)
    1) Check that the first satellite acquisition date is after you purchased.
    2) If you do get 2009 Europe NT, use MapSource and a space 2GB SD to get Europe maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

bazwaldo wrote: »
    I got one of these and when I registered to get my map update, I wasn't offered any downloads, however it said it updated it. After checking the map version on the unit, I confirmed that the maps were not updated. It must have just updated the software.

Logged onto garmin and saw that my unit had its first satellite acquisition in 2007! WTF. Mailed garmin support and they said it can happen in the factory so forward my receipt (scanned it in) and they'll send me the update. So I got the Europe Maps 2009 NT download. About 2.5 GB in size.

Now this app would not let me copy any maps to an SD card only my unit. But after a bit of reading I found that if you used MapSource, that would allow you to copy them to an SD. So see this link on details of how to get this. So Europe for free... eventually.

2) If you do get 2009 Europe NT, use MapSource and a space 2GB SD to get Europe maps.

Did you get the 250 or the 200w ?

I got the 200w. Doesn't the 250 come with full europe maps, so the 2009 update should work for that without the mapsource hack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I have the 250W and when I "obtained" the 2009 Europe maps from a source not to be posted here they will not fit o the unit (according to Mapsource) - I had to select and untick a few area such as Finland, Europe east of Poland etc to get it to fit. Never did find a good use for the SD cards - must try harder...

• Advertisement

Plug your SD card into a reader and not the garmin. Mapsource has a 'write to device' or something like that which allows you to select which drive to write to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Stupid question time:

How do you find the first satellite acquisition?
    Was there CD with it? I can't remember if there was. The website says you need a code on the back of the disc to unlock, and I can't find anythign with a code on it.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Stupid question time:

How do you find the first satellite acquisition?
    Register on Garmin and add your garmin product to myProducts. The details will be laisted for it there.
    Was there CD with it? I can't remember if there was.
    Not with the 200W.
    The website says you need a code on the back of the disc to unlock, and I can't find anythign with a code on it.
    They gave me the code with the download. Its listed when I log into garmin and select mymaps or something like that.

You are eligible for the download when you register within 60 days on purchase or first satellite acquisition, which ever is latest. If your acquisition date is earlier than purchase date, then you'll send to contact then with your receipt.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Register on Garmin and add your garmin product to myProducts. The details will be laisted for it there.

Not with the 200W.

They gave me the code with the download. Its listed when I log into garmin and select mymaps or something like that.

You are eligible for the download when you register within 60 days on purchase or first satellite acquisition, which ever is latest. If your acquisition date is earlier than purchase date, then you'll send to contact then with your receipt.

It doesn't say first acquisition date, it shows purchased date and registered date, which are 29th April.

Here is the the mail I received from Garmin:
    Thank you for contacting Garmin(Europe)Ltd.

All Garmin products come preloaded with the most current and relevant
    mapping for that device. We would guarantee that if you didn't have the
    latest mapping of the time then if you contact within 60 days of the
    purchase we would activate this in your account if it hasn't appeared
    automatically.

When you purchased or registered your unit, it had the latest mapping of
    the time for both the US and and Europe.The version of the US mapping
    you have is the most current available, the version of Europe you have
    has only been recently superseded by the 2009 versions released on the
    15th October 2008.

For further information about our mapping policies either click the link
    here or copy and paste it into your web browser; https://my.garmin.com/maps/nuMaps.htm

If you require the Europe 2009 update you will need to purchase it.

To find the link to purchase the European update, log in to your
    "MyGarmin" account and go to "MyMaps", "ManageMaps" and here you will
    see the link to buy either the download or the DVD.

15th October - 29th April > 60 days. So you would not be eligible for an update from Garmin.

15th October - 29th April > 60 days. So you would not be eligible for an update from Garmin.

Yes, I eventually managed to figure it out. I thought you got your first upgrade free. Oh well, struggle on with the one I have. May invest the money in mypois.ie instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

kindalen wrote: »
    is the tom tom at €80 worth getting?i know its only uk and roi,how easy is it to load euro maps?would i need another sd card?

which would be my best option?

ta muchly.

Beware buying a UK and ROI Tom Tom. They dont have enough memory (and NO SD slot) to hold the entire European map so you have to buy country by country and the cost of this is rediculous compared to the entire European map. Stay away IMO.

Advertisement