Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub 31:35

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

christeb wrote: »
    Official word from Mr. Hooper is that it's on Sun 25th Jan. I was hoping for the week after too, think I'll be away for it :mad:
    Was hoping the same myself.

Ok today was my 800m reps. Went down to the park at 9 but felt really bad after a poor night sleep, So went home and slept for a few hour then back down.

1 mile warm up , warm down followed by 4 X 800m with 2.5 mins recovery.

1. 3:38
    2. 3:29
    3. 3:30
    4. 3:36

Was totally shattered at the end of the session today, Its far far better then a few week ago well over 20 seconds quicker with 30 seconds less recovery.

3rd rep I felt good but was working hard for the last 400m and the 4th rep was really hard. Was happy with the time as it felt slower. Warm down was very very slow. Best session so far this year and it felt like I was running. More of a flow and form was so much better. I guess training work...

Nice 6 miles early today all on grass as usual. Both pairs of runners are now soaked and covered in mud. Will have to wash them down. Felt good today but ran too fast over the first 3 miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

shels4ever wrote: »
    Ok today was my 800m reps. Went down to the park at 9 but felt really bad after a poor night sleep, So went home and slept for a few hour then back down.

1 mile warm up , warm down followed by 4 X 800m with 2.5 mins recovery.

1. 3:38
    2. 3:29
    3. 3:30
    4. 3:36

Was totally shattered at the end of the session today, Its far far better then a few week ago well over 20 seconds quicker with 30 seconds less recovery.

3rd rep I felt good but was working hard for the last 400m and the 4th rep was really hard. Was happy with the time as it felt slower. Warm down was very very slow. Best session so far this year and it felt like I was running. More of a flow and form was so much better. I guess training work...

Good stuff, keep it up.

cfitz wrote: »
    Good stuff, keep it up.

Thanks I know doing 10 of these back to back is a big ask, but I still have 10 week and I know its a hardish 800m that i'm doing these session on with two sharp hill over the first 550-600 m and a down hill to finish.
    If I can get down to 3:10 by january i'll be happy,

Thanks I know doing 10 of these back to back is a big ask, but I still have 10 week and I know its a hardish 800m that i'm doing these session on with two sharp hill over the first 550-600 m and a down hill to finish.
    If I can get down to 3:10 by january i'll be happy,

When I'm doing sessions, my coach always gets me to change them after a few weeks - it's to do with your body learning to cope with a particular session so that you improve on the session rather than your fitness. But I think staying with the one session can help early in your training because you can easily judge how hard your going on the session etc coz it's so familiar to you. Probably a good idea to keep bringing down the recovery every few weeks though or add a rep, that way at least there will be some change.

Thanks for the info , i will keep changing this for the next 8 weeks anyway, as i'm improving and need to keep pushing myself.

Legs were tired after 5 days in a row so rested. Feeling great today now cant wait to get out.

5.5 miles today with about 4.5 at tempo. On the road for the first time this year.

I did go a bit mad and planned to run hard for 2 sets of 15 mins. But after first 15 mins I was feeling really good, Strong very relaxed so decided to keep going to see how far I could manage.

In the end ran a shade under 4.5 miles in under 35 mins. So happen enough with 7.7 miles :) with out been fill out, was maybe at 90-95%.

Did 1 mile warm down after.

I know 7.7 miles aren't a big deal for most but its 10 years since i've been anywhere close to this so totally over the moon with the progress over the last few week .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Good man - you can't beat the feeling after a great run like that. Keep it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Fair play, you are seeing some massive improvements. I need to get out there but I must be patient.

Thanks, Still too big a gap between a good run and a bad run for me, I want to reduce this over the next few week.

Don't rush back, coming back too soon and you could be out for more, keep ticking over on the bike or in the pool and you wont be long getting back, Once you do give me a shout maybe pop out for a few miles in pheonix park ..

5.5 miles today with about 4.5 at tempo. On the road for the first time this year.

I did go a bit mad and planned to run hard for 2 sets of 15 mins. But after first 15 mins I was feeling really good, Strong very relaxed so decided to keep going to see how far I could manage.

In the end ran a shade under 4.5 miles in under 35 mins. So happen enough with 7.7 miles :) with out been fill out, was maybe at 90-95%.

Did 1 mile warm down after.

I know 7.7 miles aren't a big deal for most but its 10 years since i've been anywhere close to this so totally over the moon with the progress over the last few week .

That looks like a bit of a breakthrough. If you can do that in a training session, you must be looking forward to your upcoming races.

cfitz wrote: »
    That looks like a bit of a breakthrough. If you can do that in a training session, you must be looking forward to your upcoming races.
    I think a lot of it is in the head now, Beofre the distance was always a factor but its getting less and less an issue.

What I was more happy with last night was the form, I was running very relaxed for 3 miles and only working hard after 26 mins.

You know the feeling when your running hard but know that if it was a race you had another gear there .

I still have a long long way to go but still expect to have some bad days..

This log is great as it really sets you up for a big fall if it doesnt go well on race day..:)

6 miles today easy at lunch time, Was a nice even pace apart from the section where some guy was running about 20 m behind me for .5 of a mile.

Nice even and slow, legs arent too tired at all today, and the ground wasn't as muddy.

4 miles today at lunch with a guy from work. 6 months ago I couldnt keep with him for a mile neevr mind 4. Was a bit faster then I had planned but I think i'll run once a week with him, the more faster runs i do the better.

Zero training today , Rest days has come at the right time as I need the rest as i'm feeling tired today.

Fogot that this was a planned easy(ish) week. Sio have run harder then planned over the first few day. Not sure if I should keep going and do my easy week next week. Feel like I havent run in ages and i've only taken 1 day off.

Nice 5 miles at lunch time, didnt feel great leaving the office but once I had 2 miles down, it was all worth it, felt really good for the alst 3 miles, put in a fastish last mile but nothing too mad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Nice 5 miles at lunch time, didnt feel great leaving the office but once I had 2 miles down, it was all worth it, felt really good for the alst 3 miles, put in a fastish last mile but nothing too mad.

Hey Shels were you drinking the rum from a flask or a normal water bottle;)?

Good use of a lunchbreak. The lads I lunch with think I'm nuts when I decide on a session over tea+roll+natter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

keep it up shels. will stalk your progress! ah no im doing something similar want to breakk 44 for 10k in the next 3-4 months or so. sometime i think its going well then other days i feel like im going backwards. 1ok at xmas so would be happy with sub 46 will see.

MCOS wrote: »
    Hey Shels were you drinking the rum from a flask or a normal water bottle;)?

Good use of a lunchbreak. The lads I lunch with think I'm nuts when I decide on a session over tea+roll+natter

Yep need to get out at lunch duirng the winter as I dont want to train too much on the road, and park is too dark by 5:15 these days, so work starts at 6:30 2-3 days a week now ..

Rest day today as only plan on 5 days training this week. But feel like going out for a few miles. I will prob just go for a swim and then do an 9-10 mile tun tomorrow.

keep it up shels. will stalk your progress! ah no im doing something similar want to breakk 44 for 10k in the next 3-4 months or so. sometime i think its going well then other days i feel like im going backwards. 1ok at xmas so would be happy with sub 46 will see.
    Do you have any 10k planned for that time? I know the feeling but they way I know i'm improving is that my bad days are getting better.. Everuone can have good days but if you can improve your bad days or reduce them :)

Was working until 2 am last night, came home and set the alarm for 7:30 to get my run in, but totally shattered and couldnt get up. Now that i'm up back to work now for another long day, I will try to get out this evening if possible but I can see another 2 am finish. The pains of starting a business... But should calm down after monday. I've had a good weeks training so the 2 days rest might do me good.

• Advertisement

Didn't think I'd get out for a run today, but managed to get out for 4.5 miles this evening, was cold but happy I got out. Havent eaten all day and ran terrible , tired hungry and felt all over the place, but enjoyed it too..

Going to eat now then back to work.,

Any Boards AC people around D9 tomorrow afternoon are welcome to pop into our New Restraunt will be some free grub. Just PM me for details if you want to pop by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭chatoon

Well done on keeping up your training; it's really motivating to read (especially for a novice runner like me!),...and very best of luck with the restaurant!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

+1. Best of luck with the restaurant opening. I hope it's really healthy running food (or really tasty unhealthy food :)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

+1. Best of luck with the restaurant opening. I hope it's really healthy running food (or really tasty unhealthy food :)).
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Hey shels missed that entry in the log - best of luck with the restaurant, busy times for you. Helped out a mate of mine years ago when he was opening his restuarant hell of a lot of work involved - best of luck again.

• Advertisement

Very best of luck with the new venture Shels.

Hi all ,
    Thanks for hte good wishes, lucky for me my wife will be doing a lot of the work :). But I can see some busy days. I can see lot's more lunch time runs in my other job. Will still try to get out 6 days a week and my goals have not changed..Easy week this week with 27 mile :)

Do you have any 10k planned for that time? I know the feeling but they way I know i'm improving is that my bad days are getting better.. Everuone can have good days but if you can improve your bad days or reduce them :)

athenry in co galway as are organising a decent 10km for st stephens day 11am. nice course and usually well organised. entry could be up to 800 or so. might be too far to travel if u not from way down west.

shels, are you Gordon R. in disguise? ya know he runs, and opens restaurants ?

I wish, maybeI should try and beat his marathon time next year... and get my own TV show..

as long as thats all you do ! ps if you really are GR then i like your training log/blog alibi ;)

Missed my first planned training day yesterday in almost 2 months. Can't wait to get out today feel like I havent run in ages now..

Well missed my planned run yeaterday and rest day on monday. so first run in 3 days.

5 mile with 2 X 2 miles at tempo.
    Started well at about 8 min mile pace for the first tempo but after a mile felt strong so put the boot down a little and ran a fast mile @ about 7 min pace. Then 6 mins at recovery pace followed by another 15 mins at tempo I found this hard and was working at 10-12 mins to keep going.

Finished with a mile warm down.

Nice lunch break ...

Not sure whats going on today, Cramps in my leg after today run, i've kicked my desk a few times.. think i need to do some more stretches..

4.5 mile this morning up at back home by 7:20 nice start to the day. Was a terrible run no enegry , tired and legs didn't feel good.

Havent been eating well the past few days no junk food but just not enough food full stop, i'll put it down to lack of fule, will make sure to eat in future.

Strange pain in my shin now after the run today, doesnt feel like shin splints no point of pain and not the same as a few months ago, have had ice on it for the last hour and its gone now..Will keep an eye on this over the next few day.

Just a quick update for the Plan for the next year. My main aim is to get as close to 35 mins for 5 miles in Rahney in january and then in the Sportsworld .

After the 35 min runs. Once that is out of the way I was playing with the idea of running the Belfast marathon but after reading some posts on another thread and some online and book reading i've decided not to do this.

I will insted focus on my basic speed and try to improve my 1 mile 3k and 5 k times . I have target times that i'm thinking of something like this

1 mile - 5:30/45
    2 mile -11:45 /12:00
    5k -Sub 20

I'm planning on racing more below the 5k distance in mid to late summer with some track also. It's going to take a lot more work over the coming months but if i want to get anywhere near my pb in 2010 I will need to be able to run these if not faster.

Just wondering if these targets are a bit too much with my current levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

1 mile - 5:30/45
    2 mile -11:45 /12:00
    5k -Sub 20

Just wondering if these targets are a bit too much with my current levels.

Shels,

I have set myself similar goals as above -also decided that the marathon is not for 2009. Like yourself only been back running about a year and want to see how fast I can go before I start to slow down.

I am at about 34mins for the 5 mile and hope to go close to a sub 20 5k before end of this year, 5:45 for the mile should then be achieveable. The 2 mile times will be more of a stretch. Based on McMillan calculators, which work for me, a 20min 5K should give 5:46 for the mile and 12:19 for 2 miles.

Best of luck, I will be comparing as we go along.

Thanks dna_leri, your a buit ahead of me at the moment . The good thing for me is that there are 5 2 mile races to run during the summer so I will have 5 cracks at it, the mile will be harder as I can only think of one race to do.

I ran an 800m back in March in 3:03 and that was with no training and about 2 stone extra on me, So I would expect that I'd run a 2:45 now without too many problems. So I think there is some type of speed in me I jsut need to bring it back out.

I'll have to keep an eye on you too maybe set up a lmid summer race ;)

5 miles today easy pace nice run, zero pain in my shin, not srue what ahppend yesterday my banged it somewhere and didnt notice. Feeling a little sluggish this week so might take a few easy days , planned 800's for sunday but will see how i feel after tomorrows run.

Feeling wrecked today, just going to have a beer or two then get to bed. plan to run tomorrow morning but will call it then.

4 miles this morning in a frosty park. Didn't feel good at all was very slow and jsut got around, enegry levels are really low the last few days.

But still enjoyed getting out started at -2 oC but didnt feel that cold.

Fair play Shels. I a taking the weekend off as I just don't want to rush things. Next year we will have plenty of time for a few morning runs.

Went out today jsut to see how i felt, no energy again but felt a little bettre just did 3 miles but signs are that i'm starting to feel better. Hope to get back to propper training ovre the coming day.

I think the lag in form at the moment is due to poor diet last week , Didn have much time to eat and some days didnt have a propper meal .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi shels just wondering if your taking any supplements etc
    could make a difference , i know there is no substitute to a balanced diet but sometimes we dont always manage this

Havent been taking much at all, diet seemed to be good enough for that in hte past. But have picked up some mulit vitimas and Vit C today when out shopping . So will start to take them from now on , migh pick up a tonic or something too .

What are you taking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

just the usual stuff shels
    i take a multi vit with calcium and odourless garlic.

glucosamine and chrondroitin for my joints.

and before dublin i tried a running vitamin/supplement pack called PR1PAK not convinced about this one though it sounds great if everthing they say about it is true but i have my doubts .
    anyway i tred it for a while, hard to tell if its any benefit or not so i think i will stick to multi vit and G&C

Advertisement