Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub 31:35

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Rest day today. Feeling a little better and even stuck the gear in the car but think i'll rest today .

Popped a load or pills this morning , so will keep taking them during the winter and eat well . fingers crossed i'll be back by the end of the week.

Eaten really well today , finished work early and went to bed. Woke up feeling a lot better but will get a very early night tonight and then get out for a few miles tomorrow. Hope to get a 5-6 mile doen but will call it in the morning.

5 miles this morning nothing too mad, nice and easy starting to feel a little better now and evern though about doing an extra few miles but talked myself out of it...
    Was a great morning for running cold but nice.

Scary feeling that I didnt put my runners into the car today.Won't get a chance to check untill lunch run time.

I know my spikes are in there maybe i'll do a few miles with them.. Are there any problems in doing this? .......

5 miles or there abouts today. first day i've felt good in about a week. Ran in my spikes as I left my runners at home,

Was a super day for a run, Put in a few bursts during the course just to see how i felt. Nearly back to where I was last week.

Bumped into TheRoadRunner in the car park after,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

shels4ever wrote: »
    5 miles or there abouts today. first day i've felt good in about a week. Ran in my spikes as I left my runners at home,

Was a super day for a run, Put in a few bursts during the course just to see how i felt. Nearly back to where I was last week.

Bumped into TheRoadRunner in the car park after,

yes indeed nice meeting you.

• Advertisement

Yep nice to meet you too. Had a feeling it was you when i seen you in the car park but wasnt sure.

5.5 miles this morning. Nice and easy still not 100% but a lot better. Ground was very wet underfoot and ended up shin hight in water. Feet were frozen by the end of the run..

Other then that a nice run.

Planned to take today of to get ready for a crack at a 5k on sunday. But have the day off work today so might sneek out for a few miles tonight. Will see what happens.

Going to keep the miles low for the next 2 week until after the Ward Xc on the 13th. Won't go over 30 miles. After this I should be back to normal and start to build my miles into the 40's .

Will decide in the next week if i'll run a marathon in the Spring.,

Ended up going for a run had too much time on my hands today. Did 70 mins of easy running, but was really relaxed and felt great, havent felt this good in ages.
    Actually though what if i don't stop and do a 15... but i didnt.....

i'd say close to 8 miles.....

Will prob only do 3 mile tomorrow but will call that then,

Feel great today but took it eay jsut a 2 mile jog.. wasnt even warmed up when i finished.. will give the 5 k a lash tomorrow fingers crossed

• Advertisement

Today was the Marley Park 5k .

Didnt feel great in the morning but when the race started I had decided to run hard , It turned out to be a good plan with the narrow path I was able to get away from the crowd. Went through the first km in 4:14 which was too fast but felt ok. Slowed after that to about the 4:30, 3 k was 13:30 ish and 4 in about 18:10 ( around this). Managed to run around 4:20 for the last KM but was passed by a few people over the last 400m :(.

Finish time 22:30 :) thats down from 25:30 in August and 24:50 in Sept. So some progress there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Great stuff shels ...great feeling when you are setting new records for yourself.

Sosa wrote: »
    Great stuff shels ...great feeling when you are setting new records for yourself.

Cheers still a long way to go, Actually thinking about it now, thats a PB today as I don't think I raced any 5k races years ago.. ;) Would have ran faster in 5 mile races but i'm going to call it a pb;)

To right its a PB ...any excuse ...im always at it.
    I never ran a 5k ...would like to give it a lash.
    I like the 4m races for some reason ...have one next Sunday,im looking forward to that.

To right its a PB ...any excuse ...im always at it.
    I never ran a 5k ...would like to give it a lash.
    I like the 4m races for some reason ...have one next Sunday,im looking forward to that.

I like the 5 k distance , its run at a high tempo once i start to go over 5-6 k i start to suffer, need to jsut do somemore miles over the comingmonths and will be under 20 mins by next summer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

good stuff shels

Maybe a bit of over analysis but going on my 1 and 2 k times today I think i ran my first sub 7 min mile of the year.. Felt good and buzzing now. I still have a long way to go and think my target for ranhen is out of reach but i'm not going to change it.. will give 35 mins a lash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

God shels4ever you are a real inspiration. Did you really start off at a 63 min 10k? I am so impressed by your rapid improvements in time. I would love to be able to improve like that too. Im back to my old ways of being very inconsistent with my running but seeing your log and realising that it is possible to improve so much I think I will also set an aim like rainbow kirby to get a sub 1 hr 10k in 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Finish time 22:30 :) thats down from 25:30 in August and 24:50 in Sept. So some progress there.

Hey shels great run. That is some improvement. In percentage terms you have knocked more than 10% off your pb in a short space of time. That's great going

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Great stuff on the time. That is around the time I was hoping for at jingle bells. cant wait to get back hearing about all these wins and PBs.

• Advertisement

Hey shels great run. That is some improvement. In percentage terms you have knocked more than 10% off your pb in a short space of time. That's great going
    Thanks, I'm happy now as there are more people in the 22 zone compared to the 25 which is nice .. more of a race. Was a bit unhappy with the last 400 as I though i'd have more of a kick but when I went to move nothing really happened. Will need to work more on that or push from 800m out next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Well done Shels. Excellent progress!

Thanks, Still a lot of work to do in the next 5 week to get close to my target. I think I'll be outside 35 mins but will try to get as close as possible. Would be happy missing a hard target then just setting an easy one.

Taking today as a rest day after race yesterday, Just did some weights nothing too mad, will do a 6 -7 tomorrow and jsut keep ticking over this week with the last race of 2008 this weekend. Once this is out of the way back to serious training for 5 weeks.

After rest day yesterday i'm itching to get out. I find that after a rest day I feel like i've been lazy , Will get down to the park at lunch for an hours run.. Can't wait to get out today.

6 miles all on grass today, nice run good conditions, felt good but didnt run too hard at all. Will get the race on sat out of the way and back into hard training for 5 weeks after that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Fantastic. The consistency of the last few months is really starting to pay off now. and the tough sessions like the 800 intervals you were doing really pay off on the road. Good man.

By the way, was the course long, looking at some of the times, I get the impression it might have been 20-30secs too long? Any word on this?

I know the course was changed jsut before the race but I think it was very close to 5k , Think woddle had it at 3.09+ miles I think. There were a few sharp turns that may have slowed people a little .

If it was a bit long then i'd be extra happy.

The 800's seemed to really pay off over the second half of the run, didnt fade as much . Will be back into them next week :)

Didn't have much time today to get out for myu run so only managed 3.5 mile . Plan was to do 2X 15 mins at tempo but ran way too fast from the start and ended up doing 25 mins at tempo .

Felt really really good starting and hammered out a very relaxed first mile, not sure of times but I would guess it was around 7 mins.

Run was too short to really count as a session but starting to get used to running at a faster pace again.

• Advertisement

After lots of "I will" , "I won't" for the last few week and some conflicting reports on how marathon running will reduce my speed.

I've decided that I WILL run a spring marathon. I'm not going to go far just up the road to belfast to face the host of relay runners.

I am going to include lots of speedwork and fartlek into my training .I will be only doing a 14 week build up to the marathon but going on most 18 week programs my current training would have me at about week 4-5. Next 5 weeks my longest run will not go over 13 miles and once Rahney is out of the way Marathon trainign will start.

Won't be setting any planned times for this marathon and I'm really only using this to improve my base fittness. Changes to the way I will be working next year will give me more free time monday/tuesday mornings to get some good sessions done :)

So i've just registered now :), So this is when the fun will start....

Great Stuff Shels. I am sure it will pay off for you in terms of base building. I may go as far as a half in 2009 but will wait and see how recovery progresses. Sub-45 10k first and then new goals from there.

Good stuff shels,i myself am still mulling over doing the connemarathon or not.It would be my first ...maybe not an ideal first...when i think connemara ...i think mountains and hills :eek:

Good stuff shels,i myself am still mulling over doing the connemarathon or not.It would be my first ...maybe not an ideal first...when i think connemara ...i think mountains and hills :eek:
    Would be a hard enough first marathon i'm sure, but from what i've heard not impossible. :)

Only 4 miles today but was a bit of a mess, had a meeting moved to my usually training time (work jsut gets in the way) so was out a bit early . Food was still in my stomach from this morning and didnt feel great.. but legs were full of enegry .

Will do an easy 4-5 tomorrow then race on sat..

Was feeling tired today, didnt sleep too well last night. Only went out for 3 miles today to keep the legs ticking over .

Sat down to plan what i'm going to do for the next 6 week until the 5 mile race. The plan i've come up with is here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Not sure if you want feedback, but I wouldn't bother with the fartlek session on the last Thursday before the race. An easy run would do me. Also, why all the 400s if you are doing a 5mile race? You might be better off varying it a bit, having a few longer intervals like 800s and maybe only the odd 400-600 session for speed. Speed endurance rather than speed will possible be your limiting factor in a 5 mile. For me doing much the same thing week in with out would lead to a bit of staleness after 3 weeks or so, but maybe that's just me. In any case, good consistent 6 days a week running will stand you in great stead for the race. Best of luck with it.

I've changed it around a bit now, Have put in 1 session of 1,200 just because there is a measured 1,200 close to me and want to try that for some fun.

Idea with the 400's was try to increase my speed, I feel better running faster and the last few week I can feel there is more there in the legs, and the aerobic fittness is almost there to keep it up.

I may do a XC race 2 week prior to the race but If i do this will only be a hard tempo run and not 100% .

I've changed the schedule now, will prob change week 3-4 as its christmas and will have a 10 mile over howth to do then so will have to fit that in too.

I think i'll be a little outside my target time but will do everything possible to get close... Not planning on too much drinking this christmas at all,

Well 6 k today in a mud bath with a river to cross on each of the 3 laps...

Hardest run of the year today, ran way too fast on the first 2k and paid for that, for some reason I run harder in XC then road races... and do compete more with other runners rather then running my own race, prob because I grew up running XC.

Anway that my last race for 2008 out of the way and another team win for Boards AC..(managed to score today too).

BHAA have gone to town on my grade in the last 6 week dropping from 21 to 15, from the 28 I was on back in june... But some guy has beaten me in each race and is on 17 don't understand this...

http://bhaa.ie/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20081213164900811

After a hard week with 2 races I'm resting today, Just as well my right calf is very stiff today and might take a day or 2 to recover.
    Legs feel like i've run 10 miles yesterday very tired compared to most races/runs all that mud ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good luck with your training Shels. A spring marathon is a great way to start the year... something to focus on in the winter months.

• Advertisement

Fingers cross , should set up well for the rest of the year. Confirmation mail came today so have my number,., now to get back running.

Will get out today for a few miles, only 2-3 as the calfs are sore from the XC this weekend, not sure if its a slight strain or if they were cramping up ..

6.5 miles today all on grass, ran with a smile today as this felt so easy , maybe a little too fast as i was at aout 8:30-9 min miles when i should have been at 9;15+ .

anyway nice run , calf is at 90% not slight pain but nothing major.

Be careful with that calf muscle. I am really struggling to get mine back to normal after the tear I got. You are doing great guns at the moment and I cant wait to get out again and see how much catching up I have to do. Biggest disappointment this year for me was not getting to put down an official 5k time, but hey there is always next year.

Rested today , Calf is very stiff and had a sligh cramp last night . Have my skins on under my jeans today . Would be able to run but going to rest to make sure its 100%. If i dont run tomorrow I'll swim insted.

stmochtas wrote: »
    Be careful with that calf muscle. I am really struggling to get mine back to normal after the tear I got. You are doing great guns at the moment and I cant wait to get out again and see how much catching up I have to do. Biggest disappointment this year for me was not getting to put down an official 5k time, but hey there is always next year.

Yes a could of days rest will do me, i don't think there is any tear i've had this before in my football days and 2-3 days and i'll be 100% again.

Leg feeling better today but not going to run with only 6 week to the race i want to make sure i dont lose too much training so better to rest now and get my hard stuff done next week.

Did an 800m swim in its place to keep some sort of training going. My swimming was so bad today lasy year i was doing 1500m before work but that was swimming a few days a week. Think i'll stick in one swim a week again.

Was nearly stupid and was about to run today, but talked myself into going to the gym for some cardio, Cycle , Cross and some rowing . Then a few hundred meters in the pool. felt good today have far too much enegry.

Leg is feeling good now i'll be running tomorrow or sunday.

Feeling a bit like acaged Lion here today, havent run for 3 days and it feel like an age, I'm not sure wha tI used to do with myself before i started training ...

Christmas holidays have started for me, so will prob start to do some gym work / Swimming too as i'm going to have time on my hands..

Have spent the past hour on the mcmillan site trying to gage what a propper target would be for Belfast i'd love to go sub 3:40 but as I've not done a marathon in 10 year i'm not sure if this is a propper goal, maybe I should jsut aim for 4:00 and see how it goes..

Getting my gear ready now.. but cant find my runners.. hope i didnt leave them in the park when i took the off the other day.. Was getting a new pair next week but still i liked them.. Will have to did out my second pair for this week.

Last few days has been my worst trainingin 3 months. Friday1 horu cardio, Sat i swam 1k very very slow stopped ever 100m for 5-10 secs.
    Sunday about 2 miles run very slow stopped to stretch ever 400m. Calf was not 100%

Today 3 mile jog all on grass with zero pain felt great . looks like i'll be back running propper tomorrow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement