Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub 31:35

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Yep it what I get for running too hard over the last 200m... At least I caugh hte people I was after before it happend and managed to hop across the line...

Just a bit annoyed as i would like to compare my Rahney time to the one of last year.. but there will be many more races...

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Sorry to hear this Shels. I will be interested to hear the Physio diagnosis. As you know I had something similar happen a few BHAA races ago. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

it might not be as bad as you think shels
    well done in the race though
    as peckham said however long your enforced break is it will just make you more determined to come back fitter and faster

best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Peckham wrote: »
    As someone pointed out to me - it's the times of injury that make you appreciate the good days!

+1 to this. Jesus Peckham I think I just follow you around on these boards agreeing with you :)

Hope the calf clears up Shels

Cheers, have lots of ice on it now, it prob a bad sign that i alway keep an ice pack just in case. Fair bit of pain from it too so will see. Call physio os first thing monday i'll be down there.

Well swelling has gone down a little now, still very sore have it well strapped up now, i think a few physio session will be needed.

Training plan for the next few week is going to be swim swim swim, maybe some cross trainer later in the week all going well. Was very annoyed with this last night as i've really been planning on rahney since last March so its a bit of a set back I can only begin to think what it must be like to miss a big even such as an olympics with injury....

Well Physio booked for today so will be going in later this morning. Having spent the last 2 days with the leg up following the whole RICE thing.. The swelling has gone down a lot.

First though when it when it happened was I will be out for ages but a little more hopeful now, Will see what the physio says.. I have a feeling this is going to be a very sore session.

send me a pm after you visit the physio to let me know who you saw and what you thought of them. I'd be interested to hear what you think of them

Will do, going to head down now so fingers crossed they work some magic.

Well just back from the physio and fairly happy so far, had some light work done on the calf today and my initial feeling my have been wrong . I might be back a little sooner then I had first though but won't rush it.

May have found the cause of the calf problem and have some work to do over the3 next few days then back in on Friday for some hard massage..

Looks like the hours spent over the weekend with ice and compression have helped a little .

Outside chance of been back running next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

that's a good outcome. I hope it recovers as well as this. I know what you mean about the ice packs though. Mr HM has 8 stashed in our freezer permanently along with an ice making machine because of his leg problems. on the plus side, it's helped me beat an ice cream addiction. There is just no room in the freezer for bad stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Delighted to hear it's not as bad as first feared or looked. Raheny back to being a maybe ?

A very very slim maybe only 13 days away so going to be very close. If i'm running it there will be no sprint finishes like the one on sat for a good while...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭jlang

That's better than I feared when I saw you hobbling after the race on Saturday. Definitely follow the physio's advice and don't rush back to a full schedule prematurely. I keep wondering if a physio appt might be a good idea for me, for preventative reasons as I'm not much of a stretcher (before or after running).

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Great News Shels. I was worried you might end up with a lay off like mine. Fingers crossed for ya.

Cheers , Fingers crossed all will go well . When it happen I though the same took me an age to get across that field after. Have to say thanks to some guy called George who gave me a had.

For anyone who knows anything its ment to be a mild grade 2 tear..

Physio also says the cause maybe due to a tight back/Hamstring that resulted in one of my legs been a little shorter then the other so did a good bit of work on that also. Anyone else ever had something similar?

About 45 mins in the pool this morning , wasnt feeling great only did about a 600m swim .

Will do some stretching and weights tonigh. Have to reduce food intake now...

Ok pick up an injury and now i'm on the back pages of the training logs...

No training today as I had a funeral in the morning and just in work now, my try to do some weights and cycle later todya but not sure if the calf can handle that so will see.

Last night stretching session was ok, still fairly sore and stiff but got some good stretching done. Still a long way form running now but it has improved.

About 30 mins of stretching yesterday . Calf is still sore to walk but on the mend. Worked a lto on my hamstring and pelvic area last night but making sure i don't over do it on the calf. Physio again tomorrow......

Also playing around with diet at the moment, have been eating more noodles and green mango this week, might keep this up and see how marathon training goes on a Asian diet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

I missed yesterday coz of my cough. Like you, I decided to play around with my diet instead - had about 15 cadburys roses, 10 chocolate biscuits, and a crunchie. Don't think I'll stick with it though...

• Advertisement

cfitz wrote: »
    I missed yesterday coz of my cough. Like you, I decided to play around with my diet instead - had about 15 cadburys roses, 10 chocolate biscuits, and a crunchie. Don't think I'll stick with it though...
    Well if you go out and run a sub 4 mile today maybe its the way to go ;)

Well going to change my weeks counted this is week 16 of propper training log. But from next week its 15 weeks till belfast.

Today after work about 15-20 mins with a heat pack on the calf followed by about 2o mins of stretching. Feeling good about this as it is not as bad as i first feared but will need to take a bit of time to be sure.

Some core work also done but not a great set, going to swim before work tomorrow and then see the physio.

70:30 against doing Raheny at the moment but will make the call next Thursday.

shels4ever wrote: »

70:30 against doing Raheny at the moment but will make the call next Thursday.

I wouldn't do it unless you are running freely by Monday. I know this race is high on your agenda but if you wreck your calf you could miss months. Hope all goes well at the physio tomorrow. I have a late appointment so I might see you there

I wouldn't do it unless you are running freely by Monday. I know this race is high on your agenda but if you wreck your calf you could miss months. Hope all goes well at the physio tomorrow. I have a late appointment so I might see you there
    Yep i know for the sake of one race, and at this stage I cant see me been on target time so i may need to look for another 5mile road race maybe in june.

I'll be down to the physio at 3:30 myself tomorrow.

Sportsworld 5 mile in May and it's a fast course similar route to the Rathfarnham 5k

Woddle wrote: »
    Sportsworld 5 mile in May and it's a fast course similar route to the Rathfarnham 5k

yeah great race. And it is really really fast. I paced a friend of mine on that course before. He wanted to run about 31 minutes. Half way through it I realised I was on for a PB so dumped him and went under 28 minutes for the first time. He dropped out about 100 metres after I left him :rolleyes: Wasn't very happy with me.

• Advertisement

yeah great race. And it is really really fast. I paced a friend of mine on that course before. He wanted to run about 31 minutes. Half way through it I realised I was on for a PB so dumped him and went under 28 minutes for the first time. He dropped out about 100 metres after I left him :rolleyes: Wasn't very happy with me.

I wont be asking you to pace me anytime soon then... I've got this race planned for next years go at a PB.( I know anything can happen in between now and then.. ) But this year its a bit too close to Belfast I think its only 13 days after so I don't think its on the cards..

Don't rule it out as alot of people run quite well a couple of weeks after the marathon, I set my 10 mile PB a week or 2 after Longford marathon.

Woddle wrote: »
    Don't rule it out as alot of people run quite well a couple of weeks after the marathon, I set my 10 mile PB a week or 2 after Longford marathon.

Yep I know i'll see at that time, but its around the time that I want to start to change from my lsd to propper speed work so will need to find a transition that works well. Was planning an easy 2 week after the marathon but will see how I am at that time.

How is the calf today ?

Still sore to walk but getting better each day. Been doing some good stretching on it the last 2 day but the physio session will be needed.

Seems to be a bit of damage in another part of the calf( along the outside of the calf) that I didnt notice early so will have to have that checked too.

Once I'm back running in the next 10-14 days i'll be ok any sooner is a bonus. Physio seemed to think that I maybe able to train early next week but I wont rush this.

• Advertisement

Just back from the physio now, session started well with him saying " your going to hate me after this" Has to be the most painful 30 mins i've ever had but in another way i'm happy with it...

Some really really sore area but was good to get it done... i'm going to go and cry for a while now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

I can imagine the pain!

Mrs Peckham claims I'm the moaniest patient she has. She claims no-one ever reacts to treatment the way I do (i.e. gritted teeth, complaining how sore it is as she prods at my leg or wherever etc.). Think it's just that other patients are too polite to be seen grimacing or whatever in treatment!

Peckham wrote: »
    I can imagine the pain!

Mrs Peckham claims I'm the moaniest patient she has. She claims no-one ever reacts to treatment the way I do (i.e. gritted teeth, complaining how sore it is as she prods at my leg or wherever etc.). Think it's just that other patients are too polite to be seen grimacing or whatever in treatment!

ah yes but i'm susre she digs in a bit deeper and harder on you....

Well leg is feeling a lot better today , In the end had to go to work so was on my feet for a large part of the evening, was hoping to be able to rest but zero pain this evening which is great.

Calf still very tight so will stretch tomororw and may do osme time on a cross trainer.

Would love to have run today , Think i'm going to pop down to the park tomorrow to watch the races .

60 mins on the exercise bike this morning , Don't think i got much out of this at alll as I didnt push it. But better then doing nothing.. Maybe i'll take the bike down in the summer and do a few spins but will see.

Calf feeling good but the physio has left his marks on the leg..

Trying ever trick in the book to get back running at this stage, Has some accupuncture today to see if that helps leg seemed to heat up a lot after.

Also picked up a few heat wraps that i'm using prior to stretching, Pain is almost 100% gone now but the calf is very stiff still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Try not to get too impatient, better to start back a day late than a day early.

cfitz wrote: »
    Try not to get too impatient, better to start back a day late than a day early.
    Thanks I know. Hard part is that it was the Raheny 5 that got me back into running last year and the plan was to take more then 10 mins form my time this year... So a bit frustrating at the moment to be injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

Feeling your pain. Just keep active and you should be able to jump straight back into running with little to no loss of fitness or speed.

Didnt get a chance to do much today, 20 mins stretching this morning , and some weights. Tried some calf raises and have zero pain but still very stiff. Coming along ok, hope to try a short jog in the coming day but will see how I feel.
    Got some new running gear the other day thats sitting there waiting to be used, think once I get back i'll be more focused on the Marathon.

Only 104 days to go so really need to be back running by the end of the moment .
    Just booked my hotel today for the marathon.. :) Prices are not bad at all.

• Advertisement

2 mile walk on my break today and leg feeling ok, have skins on for the last 2 days. bo pain again but still very stiff. Most sore areas are now from the physio and not the injury. To run or not to run that is now the question.. might try 200m tomorrow of Thursday.

1.5 miles on grass today very very slow and walked some sections.

Calf is very tight but no pain at all got better the further I went... Though about doing a full lap but that would have been close to 5 miles..

took me longer to get changed for the run and get there then the run itself.. but was nice to be out in the wind..

More stretching tonight and hope for no reaction.. :)

sounds promising. You were sensible keeping it short. 5 miles would have done you no favors.

sounds promising. You were sensible keeping it short. 5 miles would have done you no favors.
    Thanks, Fingers crossed its getting there, still very tight but a big improvment this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

Shels, I am new to this end of Boards, and have only had the time to glimpse through your log, so sorry if this has been suggested before.. but have you tried swimming if you have tight calves? I had a prob with calves before and to cut a long story short I started swimming at my leisure club almost daily and the probs disappeared completely - and after 3 previous mara's I found the one I was training for at that time to be by far the easiest! Which one are you doin btw?

who007 wrote: »
    Shels, I am new to this end of Boards, and have only had the time to glimpse through your log, so sorry if this has been suggested before.. but have you tried swimming if you have tight calves? I had a prob with calves before and to cut a long story short I started swimming at my leisure club almost daily and the probs disappeared completely - and after 3 previous mara's I found the one I was training for at that time to be by far the easiest! Which one are you doin btw?

Hi there,
    Thanks, I have been doing some swimming the past few week and Plan to get it into my schedule, Didnt know that I would help the calves so thats a bonus too.

I'll be doing Belfast in May so will be glad to get back to training as thats going to fly in.

Well no reaction last night, leg still stiff but good . Will try another run today and see how it feels.

On the plus side i'm a lot more flexible after these stretching session over the last two week. Cant be any harm so will keep them up.

Also looking at larne marathon at the end of March to see where i'm at. Not sure if i'll make it there 100% but would like a half marathon prior .

3 miles today with some sections walked as I didnt want to run uphill until i'm 100%. Felt ok still very stiff but no pain. All in all wasnt too bad . But felt very Fat today after 2 week of no real running.

fingers cross I can jump back into the training plan sometime next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

Have you found anything to cross train with yet Shels? How about cardio kickbox or something? Might help with the "fat" feeling and give the legs a good non-impact workout at the same time..

• Advertisement

been doing some swimming and cycling but not at the same level really, will increase the effort level on them now, Need to get a propper session fo rmy exercise bike and not jsut easy pace, the fat feeling is also related to the fact that I am fat ;)

Advertisement