Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub 31:35

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Shelsforever, some shortish (about1 hour) turbo sessions I have used include (not sure how these will cut 'n paste).

15 min easy
    4x15 sec on 10 sec
    2 min easy
    2x
    [ 2x2 min on 15 sec
    1x 12 min TT
    on 2 1/2 min]
    15 min easy

15 min easy
    4x15 sec on 10 sec
    2 min easy
    1x15 min TT
    5 min easy
    1x5 min TT
    2 min easy
    10x45sec, accelerate with 15 sec recovery
    15 min easy

15 min easy
    4x15 sec on 10
    2 min easy
    5x2 min on 30
    4x3 min on 90
    1x6 min on 30
    3x1 min on 1 min
    15 min easy

15 min easy
    4x15 sec on 10
    1x20 min TT
    8x30 sec on 15 (high cadence)
    15 min easy

15 min easy
    4x15 on 10
    2 min easy
    2x12 min TT with 5 min recovery
    4x2 min on 15 sec
    15 min easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Great thanks, Thats exactly what i need.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Great to see the comeback is on.

stmochtas wrote: »
    Great to see the comeback is on.
    You better believe it... ;)
    Going to have more focus then before once i'm back... Almost thinking of setting a target time for the marathon...

Well this morning woke up and was the first day i didnt think of the leg, zero pain and felt normal.. Almost put the runners on and went out the door.

Eneded up getting on the exercise bike and trying one of the session that HM gave above.. think i pushed it a little too hard and after 45 mins i was wrecked... but was nice.

No work today so going to go to the pool this afternoon.

Half thinking of not going by my own advise and running raheny on Sunday but will only do it if I can trust myself not to push it too hard... Think i'm going a bit mad these days talking ot myself...

• Advertisement

PM
    30mins on cross trainer
    Core work
    400m swim.

I'm wrecked got a lot done today...

2 mile run this morning . Started slow but run the last 800m at a propper pace. Leg feeling good a little stiff still but almost back.

Have decided that I will run tomororw but not an all out race , Last 5 mile race i ran was 42 mins, So should just dip under the 40 tomorrow thats about 2 mins slower then I planned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Go easy with the calf tomorrow - don't get sucked into racing. Coming back from an injury like a calf strain I think you'd be better to get a few speed sessions in before racing - can graduate the amount of stress going through the calf and can pull out of the training session early if you feel tightness...in a race easy to over push it and might regret it later...

Go easy with the calf tomorrow - don't get sucked into racing. Coming back from an injury like a calf strain I think you'd be better to get a few speed sessions in before racing - can graduate the amount of stress going through the calf and can pull out of the training session early if you feel tightness...in a race easy to over push it and might regret it later...

I know what you mean, I'm just going to use it as a training run and will have to make sure I dont race, If i feel anything at all i'm going to pull out. If it was any other race I wouldnt be running at all. But it was this run last year that got me going again. Only problem i may have is the brothers are running so will have to keep away from them at the start.

shels4ever wrote: »
    If it was any other race I wouldnt be running at all. But it was this run last year that got me going again. Only problem i may have is the brothers are running so will have to keep away from them at the start.

I hear you. It's killing me missing it tomorrow (cold) - registered ages ago:(. If I go to watch, it'll be like watching everyone else opening presents on Christmas Day with me having none.:(

• Advertisement

I hear you. It's killing me missing it tomorrow (cold) - registered ages ago:(. If I go to watch, it'll be like watching everyone else opening presents on Christmas Day with me having none.:(
    Yep i know that feeling, I watched the 5 mile Xc last week and wanted to be out there, in one way it would be better if i was more injured last week there was no was i was running but its progressed well.

Last year it took me 50 mins for this so i wanted to see where I am now. Turns out i'm 17 kg llighter and hoped to go sub 37.. but thats out now.. :(

But there are many more races in the future..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Yep i know that feeling, I watched the 5 mile Xc last week and wanted to be out there, in one way it would be better if i was more injured last week there was no was i was running but its progressed well.

Last year it took me 50 mins for this so i wanted to see where I am now. Turns out i'm 17 kg llighter and hoped to go sub 37.. but thats out now.. :(

But there are many more races in the future..

I agree with RFs comments above. If you feel any sort of pull on your calf just drop out. In the long term it really isn't worth it. It's a lot easier giving advice then taking it though obviously :)

Yep your right I prob shouldnt run but will make the call in the morning.

Well decided to run today. Went out to warm up felt good no reaction so started on. First mile very relaxed and moving very well.. Went through in about 7:29 or so . Next mile was feeling very fresh without any problem hit 2 miles in 14:40.. At this stage felt a slight twing in the calf so pulled out of the race and walked back.

Doesnt feel too bad at all, I know i did the right thing...Actually 14:40 is a pb of such for 2 miles as my best in the Raheny 2 mile series last year was 15:28.. so some good aspect of today.

Good decision I'd say. 2 miles at 5mile race pace? That's a great tempo session - first one back, chalk it down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Good call Shels, live to fight it another day

yep not too unhappy. I think i'll be running ok by hte end of this week. just need to keep the pace down to 9 min miles for a while. Then bring in some speed work sessions in 7-10 days as i was advised by RF before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Well decided to run today. Went out to warm up felt good no reaction so started on. First mile very relaxed and moving very well.. Went through in about 7:29 or so . Next mile was feeling very fresh without any problem hit 2 miles in 14:40.. At this stage felt a slight twing in the calf so pulled out of the race and walked back.

Doesnt feel too bad at all, I know i did the right thing...Actually 14:40 is a pb of such for 2 miles as my best in the Raheny 2 mile series last year was 15:28.. so some good aspect of today.

have to agree with MCOS and RF , this was a very wise decision and will deffinitely stand to you.
    great attitude shels seeing the positive's in the situation, knocking 50 seconds off your 2 mile PB
    still 15 weeks to belfast so time is on your side

Good call man. It takes a cool head to decide what is best for the body in the heat of a race. Another mile and yo could have done more damage and ended up on the physio table again. Nice work with the 2 mile pb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

wise move shels - there's a long year ahead

• Advertisement

Good call man. It takes a cool head to decide what is best for the body in the heat of a race. Another mile and yo could have done more damage and ended up on the physio table again. Nice work with the 2 mile pb

Thanks was a hard thing to do as i'd just passed that same guy that was beating me in the Bhaa races.. Will do another 5 mile in a couple of months..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks was a hard thing to do as i'd just passed that same guy that was beating me in the Bhaa races.. Will do another 5 mile in a couple of months..

Good running and wisdom Shels. Think I might have seen you pulling up, around the 2.5 mile marker. There's always the Sportsworld Terenure 5 Mile classic, which usually takes place around May.

Good running and wisdom Shels. Think I might have seen you pulling up, around the 2.5 mile marker. There's always the Sportsworld Terenure 5 Mile classic, which usually takes place around May.
    Not sure that was me, think you were a bit ahead of me there , I was just passed the 2 mile when I stopped.

On another note picked up the Calendar today and managed to get into the same publication as Bolts.. Guess Athletics ireland let anyone on the calander now.

Good decision Shels. So did any of the rest of the family enter, were you leading them out when you decided to take the sensible route.

AM
    Easy swim about 600m. Starting to swim better now hope to get this up to about 1k soon.

Now time for work

Will cycle this evening and do some weights..

No reaction from the calf last night or today a little stiff but nothing too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

7:11 ish second mile.............impressive. keep it up.

7:11 ish second mile.............impressive. keep it up.

Thanks , Would have been nice to see how mile 3-4-5 would have gone.

Well have to go pick up my Garmin today.. Really fancy going for a run but will take it easy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

ooh - I know someone who got one of those - very handy for training it seems.. let us know how that helps your training. As you may ave guessed I'm into gadgets :D

• Advertisement

who007 wrote: »
    ooh - I know someone who got one of those - very handy for training it seems.. let us know how that helps your training. As you may ave guessed I'm into gadgets :D

I will do, Going to use is mostly for my tempo session as I want to get them down to 7 min/mile pace. Can be hard to judge sometime.. Though i was running a 8 min mile yesterday and turned out to be 7:30 is so will be handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hey Shels it just registered with me now what you were saying about 17kg, I normally work in lbs so 37 lbs thats excellent, fair play and keep it going

Woddle wrote: »
    Hey Shels it just registered with me now what you were saying about 17kg, I normally work in lbs so 37 lbs thats excellent, fair play and keep it going
    Thanks, have prob the same to go again but getting there..

shels or anyone does anyone know how accurate garmin is. for example if i did a meassured 10km would garmin be within ? i dunno? 1m , 10m , 100m, or what. does it show your average min per mile while u are running or just at the end when you analyze your run? thanks. been half tempted to get one. anyone chance ebay?

shels or anyone does anyone know how accurate garmin is. for example if i did a meassured 10km would garmin be within ? i dunno? 1m , 10m , 100m, or what. does it show your average min per mile while u are running or just at the end when you analyze your run? thanks. been half tempted to get one. anyone chance ebay?
    Well it seems to be very close, of course its going to be a bit out as I don't think anyone rus the exact racing line during a race. But from what others have said its very close.

The display shows what ever you like, i've been playing around with it today and had Pace(min mile) , Distance and time. Can also show heart rate too.

3.03 miles in 30 mins today(playing with the new 305 ). Took it really easy no pain but very stiff so will take it easy for most of this weekend. Fingers crossed i'll be back soon.

• Advertisement

I think the accuracy depends on the satellite coverage. I have a forerunner and it gives you an idea of the possible error in metres. I've measured routes in the past with metre wheels and have found the garmin to be spot on so I cannot recommend them enough

Well I'm still injured but decided to take a look at the races I was doing. I'm going to scrap all races for the next 4-6 weeks and focus on training. Sucks to miss some of the XC races but need to make sure it doesnt mess up my training and get injured again. May run one or 2 league races in Raheny as tempo runs in 3-4 weeks time jsut to keep on track. Then the carlingford 1/2 Mara in March.

Have changed my training plan around now becsue of the stuipd leg, So hope to be back in propper training next week. Will mean I'm cutting it tight for Belfast but should be ok, Lucky i'm not looking for a time.

Dragged myself out of bed at 6 am for a swim. Total waste of time today , For some reason my arms didnt move , stoke was rubbish and couldn't breath.. This i forgot how to swim over night. 800m in the end but stopped loads.. Calf feels great today so i'll go out for a run tonight.

Swim... 1k .. :)
    did stop after ever 100m for about 5-10 secs for the first few 100's but after that ever 200m... Calf feels great today may take it easy today and rest till tomorrow and try a 5-6 miler.

Though of doing a Tri went through my mind in the pool today , may do something small at the end of the summer, if my runnuing is going to plan.

Last tri i did was a disaster, got into the water then it was delayed by 30 mins,while we were told 10 misn more each time got cold from the water, then sun burn before it started , ended up sick as a dog with what i think was heat stroke and just about finished..So may keep the swimming up twice a week, and if my running is going well in the summer, the Bike will come back down fro its race.

Well had a crap day in work and was feeling good so decided on an easy run.

Managed about 3 miles but the leg isnt great no pain jsut stiff so had to cut it short... very frustrated now.... will need to be back running well in 7 days or marathon will be out the window.

Good weight session after but its not the same as a good run

• Advertisement

Friday.
    Great session on the Cross trainer.
    40 at almost full out..
    4000m rower.

splash in the pool.. only about 200m .

Sat
    Swim 800m

Sunday.
    Total rest today. Leg is feeling really good but not going to run until the backend of the week,

Well ended up mising my swim this morning, had school drops and a car crash stopped me getting to the pool. won't get out of work till after 9 so not sure if i'll get anything done.. :(

On the plus side the calf feels great today .

30 mins on the cross trainer today at a good belt followed by 2,000 rower. Didnt have much time for more. Eneded up jogging back to the car as it was coming down in buckets, forgot about the injury till i got home.. I'd say its almost time to get running again.
    Will get out for a 3m at lunch tomorrow and if i'm feeling ok at 3 may go a little further.

Great stuff. Good luck with the run tomorrow.

stmochtas wrote: »
    Great stuff. Good luck with the run tomorrow.

Thanks cant wait to get out, roads are in bits here so might try the park to see what its like.

5 miles very easy today, 2 on rad 3 on Grass (slush) freezing feet by the end as i got a bit wet but couldnt face 5 miles on the road... zero pain but i didnt go below the 9min mile mark at all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

good stuff shels at least your going in the right direction and getting back running, the temptation now would be to do too much too soon.
    so as long as your sensible, ( by reading your log im sure you are ) hopefully this will be start of an injury free spell of training

SUNGOD wrote: »
    good stuff shels at least your going in the right direction and getting back running, the temptation now would be to do too much too soon.
    so as long as your sensible, ( by reading your log im sure you are ) hopefully this will be start of an injury free spell of training

Well if sensible is a 5 mile run in slush and a show covered park in below zero conditions then yes I am ;)

Once i'm capable of 13 miles by the first week in march i'll be ok , If i was looking for a time in Belfast i'd be worried but just want to get around.

hows the garmin going shels? do / have u done same routes and do distances vary ? much? in gen how do u find it.

welcome back shels. Don't over do it (or do an Elvis as an old coach of mine use to say:)). Better running below your target pace than not running at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement