Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Monitoring

Options
  • 02-10-2008 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

im using a community wireless broadband service, I need to monitor the usage and uptime and keep logs to show to the isp when they blame outage on my computer, anyone have any recommendations? I have a copy of solarwinds but cant see a tool which would do this....
    Tks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Smokeping maybe? or Nagios?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 OneBarrel

Yikes, I'll have to run linux. I was hoping for a friendly winders proggy. No prob though i'll set up an ubuntu box and give it a whirl.
    Yhnaks for ur help.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Smokeping maybe? or Nagios?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

OneBarrel wrote: »
    im using a community wireless broadband service, I need to monitor the usage and uptime and keep logs to show to the isp when they blame outage on my computer, anyone have any recommendations? I have a copy of solarwinds but cant see a tool which would do this....
    Tks

SmokePing would be the thing to use, I use it alot in work myself and it maps network uptime, previous ping times etc pretty well. Also lets ya know of any routing loops or collisions in the network etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 OneBarrel

Cheers Gents. Loaded Ubuntu on my xp machine with VirtualBox, installed nagios and smokeping, I'll let ye know how it goes as soon as i find out how to start the bloody proggies.

Achilles wrote: »
    SmokePing would be the thing to use, I use it alot in work myself and it maps network uptime, previous ping times etc pretty well. Also lets ya know of any routing loops or collisions in the network etc.

Advertisement