Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pup wont stop licking himself

Options
  • 02-10-2008 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

i have a 11 month old male labrador who licks down below all the time. is this normal? he seems to have gotten a red blotchy rash down there now. would it be best to take him to the vet?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mobby

eh....... Yes most definitely the sooner the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

It is your responsability as a pet owner to bring the animal you chose to care for to the vet as soon as you have doubts on it's health.

I'd say go ASAP

Hope he's ok :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Have the rash checked put by the Vet.

As for the licking, well you know the old joke -

Q: Why does a dog lick his balls?.

A: Because he can!.

:p

They all do it, although since my lad got neutured its all but stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 casey1970

going to take him to the vet first thing in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

Happy to hear it.

Let us now how he is when you return :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Its good to hear you're taking him to the vet.

All dogs do it, but they all dont do it obsessively. If it has caused a rash and there's no other reason found by the vet apart from the licking causing it, then you need to find out why he's doing it.

Excessive licking can be a response to boredom, or situations that are stressful/cause anxiety to the dog. Once the a rash or cut forms, it becomes itchy due to inflammation and infection, and that encourages further licking, so you get into a viscious circle.

Good luck tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 casey1970

brought him to the vet today, she gave him a steroid injection and some kind of anti sceptic cream that i have to put on him once a day, but shes not sure what is wrong with him. so if it hasnt cleared up in two weeks i have to bring him back and she'll send a sample of the skin away to be tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Also - wash your dog. A dog will lick himself anywhere he feels he is very dirty. Even an outside dog should be bathed on occasion. Hope it isn't something serious, or a behavioural problem, though.

WYK

Advertisement