Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Research Project

Options
  • 02-10-2008 9:28pm

What are you doing yours on i'm doing it on the munich air disaster

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

There's a thread about this somewhere. I'm doing mine of th Irish Army's first overseas mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

mines the reasons why the battle of the somme went wrong.
    gets really boring reall fast

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

mines the reasons why the battle of the somme went wrong.
    gets really boring reall fast

Why didn't you choose something you were interested in?

i couldnt pick anything all through 5th year so just picked it because theres loads sources and its an easy format to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Yeah there's loads of sources on the battle, but on why it went wrong? That's a pretty contentious topic, you will need to do some in depth research to do a proper job of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

I really wish i could sit down and finish editing my extended essay but it's so horrifically painstaking! I hate leaving certificate history, i want old junior style where you vomited it all on the page and got full marks , none of this constructing valid points and arguments business! golly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

did my project in easter, 2 weeks before it needed to be handed in and got 99%

did my project in easter, 2 weeks before it needed to be handed in and got 99%

how you know your per cent? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

went to the review, decided to check all my exams for the laugh.

they handed out the package that you put your project and exam into..and voila there it was 99%.....i got a b3 in the exam and didn't answer two questions fully so i knew i needed to get insanely high score in it.

i did my project on the 'game of death' between fc start a team from ukraine against a team made up of the german lutwaffe...its a big story in ukraine, so it was easy to do in the end.

Yeah there's loads of sources on the battle, but on why it went wrong? That's a pretty contentious topic, you will need to do some in depth research to do a proper job of it.

ah its not really

did the first draft in a weekend and got told it was a b standard essay im not changing it to get it higher.its easier then youd think

• Advertisement

Lolz why the complaints so?? fwiw I'll read it if you want another opinion, although you'll have to give me an idea of the new criteria for the essay ( we didn't do all this pop culture bull when I did the LC) I'm doing an MA btw, after an English and History BA.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

You could do it on Tulip Mania. Even the name is edgy and exciting! Also very relevant now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Michael Davitt and the Land League. Very interesting. He was truly a 'Legend'!!

Went over the limit on my essay though by a hundred I think. Does that matter???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I did Mary MacSwiney's political career, talking about her impact on feminism and republicanism. Truly riveting stuff

K4t wrote: »
    Michael Davitt and the Land League. Very interesting. He was truly a 'Legend'!!

Went over the limit on my essay though by a hundred I think. Does that matter???

Isn't that going to be a huge cross over with questions in the exam? Have you done the essay? its not really supposed to be about something you is covered on the course.

Isn't that going to be a huge cross over with questions in the exam? Have you done the essay? its not really supposed to be about something you is covered on the course.
    We're not doing Davitt and Parnell as far as I know. There is a huge choice in the history course. She would have told me before I did the project!

Just because there's a huge choice on the course doesn't mean you should limit the questions you can answer. have you had a look at the past papers and how often Davitt and the land league comes up? Do you realise if you answer on that topic in your exam, even if its a different topic (say the growth of nationalism) and you mention Davitt's politics again, you won't get marks for it? Tbh I don't know what teacher would let you do an essay on that in the first place, since its always strongly encouraged to do something that isn't coming up in the textbooks, that's the whole point! Seriously think you need to talk to your teacher or a different one again and get this straightened out.

i'm doing Operation Rose: the planning and structure of the berlin wall , SEVERE Lack of sources for it. when i edit my essay i'm literally putting a paragraph from two other sources as their is nothing specific enough sigh

Just because there's a huge choice on the course doesn't mean you should limit the questions you can answer. have you had a look at the past papers and how often Davitt and the land league comes up? Do you realise if you answer on that topic in your exam, even if its a different topic (say the growth of nationalism) and you mention Davitt's politics again, you won't get marks for it? Tbh I don't know what teacher would let you do an essay on that in the first place, since its always strongly encouraged to do something that isn't coming up in the textbooks, that's the whole point! Seriously think you need to talk to your teacher or a different one again and get this straightened out.
    We do sovereignty and partition and some other red Irish history book.

As far as I know, Davitt doesn't appear in them?????

You don't even know what book you are using or what's in it-for your own good go inform yourself.

• Advertisement

You don't even know what book you are using or what's in it-for your own good go inform yourself.
    Hold on a minute, we've just started Irish history and are doing Soveriegnty and partition at the moment.

When my teacher tells me to get the next book and when we're studying it, I will.

And I'm pretty sure there are two or three Irish history topics on the cirriculum which have no mention of Davitt. :rolleyes:

Sure there are, but that's still not the point. You are doing an essay on a critical period in history that very often comes up on exam papers. Even if it doesn't come up, you are ignoring one of the most important aspects of the research topic, which is pick something not already covered in the course book. The point is to research, not write an essay on something that's already on the course. Not knowing what's on the course isn't an excuse to do the wrong essay.
    Tbh you can roll your eyes all you want, but I've done this exam and the BA that comes after it. If you don't want to listen-your problem.

Sure there are, but that's still not the point. You are doing an essay on a critical period in history that very often comes up on exam papers. Even if it doesn't come up, you are ignoring one of the most important aspects of the research topic, which is pick something not already covered in the course book. The point is to research, not write an essay on something that's already on the course. Not knowing what's on the course isn't an excuse to do the wrong essay.
    Tbh you can roll your eyes all you want, but I've done this exam and the BA that comes after it. If you don't want to listen-your problem.
    Yes, but I personally am not doing that part of Irish history for the written exam!

Even though I'm studying Dictatorship and Democracy, I am allowed to do my research project on Hitler and Mussolini. However, I would not be allowed to answer a question relating to either of them in the written exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭skateing dragon

Doing mine on The Medusa.

A french ship that dissapeared, has a lot to do with this Death Raft thing were people became cannibals and all about mutiny.

Hard to find another 2 sources though...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Im doing Shackleton's Endurance Expedition reading the books makes me extremely cold and hungry :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

Bah, I have no idea what to do and I must have my outline plan and stuff done by tomorrow. >_<

Can anyone suggest some interesting titles/topics for Irish history?
    The titles will do, I'll do the essay and get the sources myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Bah, I have no idea what to do and I must have my outline plan and stuff done by tomorrow. >_<

Can anyone suggest some interesting titles/topics for Irish history?
    The titles will do, I'll do the essay and get the sources myself.

PIRA escape from the H Block prison in the 70's? RTE did a great documentary about it 2 or so weeks ago i would hvae done it if i hadnt already gotten a topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭leprehaungirl

Think im doing it on the contraversey surrounding the false surrender of ric auxilerie/soldiers or the black tans (cant exactly remember which at this moment :rolleyes: ) at the kilmicheal ambush... theres only a tiny paragraph about in in my book so hopefully it will be okay to and plus its a fairly narrow angle on it aswell.

Advertisement