Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So What car to choose

Options
  • 02-10-2008 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭

So anyway I am starting my first proper job as I have finished Uni.

It is in Dublin and I am from Cork. So I will be driving home every third weekend.

So I am looking for a nice safe reliable car but with a bit of style as well and a bit of power. You know so not to look too boring and so on!

I have been driving a small car for a good few years and its getting old now and its time to more on.

I will be spending around the €6000 and preferably a saloon and I need a decent boot with sport.

So I am looking at the following:

Renault Megane 1.6 Saloon 2003
    Alfa 156 1.8 2002/2003 (low mileage)
    Skoda Octavia (two of my friends have these so don't want to copy really)
    BMW 2001 3 Series (maybe out of my budget)

What do ye think?

Any other ideas?? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gregd125

Here ya go. http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mitsubishi/Lancer-Evolution/Evo-IV/1159527/

Plenty of power, and will get you some respect on the roads. Not very economical though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

gregd125 wrote: »
    Here ya go. http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mitsubishi/Lancer-Evolution/Evo-IV/1159527/

Plenty of power, and will get you some respect on the roads. Not very economical though.

:):):) No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

156 ticks all the boxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Gypo

Alfa gets my vote as well, time is right to negotiate a good deal on what in my eyes is an underrated car.

One other thing I will say is stick to your budget of 6 grand, as coming from Uni working life may be different to what you expect in your chosen profession - no point being stuck with a car you're struggling to pay for if things don't work out!

Hows that for optimism for ya! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭geoff29

I'd prob take a 02-04 Volvo S40 for that kind of money. They're fairly tough and depending on the spec, can look quite well. Good turning circle so wouldn't be a prob jumping from a small car. Boot isn't bad either. Bit of a yawn though and the suspension setup is just plain wrong, though I understand the phase II models from 2001/2 on are better in this area.

edit: hmmm, maybe not. Power and style are missing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Some good advice there!! I would go with the Alfa 156. It ticks all the boxes. Best of luck. stick with your budget

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ninty9er wrote: »

I don't think he needs a hearse just yet, no matter how quick it is. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

+1 for the Alfa.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

bazz26 wrote: »
    I don't think he needs a hearse just yet, no matter how quick it is. :D

You never know how much stuff he might be moving from week to week:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭paddy316i

Have you considered a BMW 328i? Lovely looking car with plenty of power

paddy316i wrote: »
    Have you considered a BMW 328i? Lovely looking car with plenty of power

Bit too pricey I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Look for the face lift 156 if you're getting one.

Biro wrote: »
    Look for the face lift 156 if you're getting one.

Ya that came in 2003?? Did they update anything else that year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

gregd125 wrote: »

Respect from some 18 year old muppet with a baseball hat that thinks honda civics are sports cars.
    OP Go for the alfa. Beautiful cars that are as relabile as anything else when looked after properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

groupb wrote: »
    Respect from some 18 year old muppet with a baseball hat that thinks honda civics are sports cars.

Ah now.

Evos are amazing cars and will get respect from anyone who knows their cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

I did'nt mean they were'nt a great car. Its just that they tend to be driven in Ireland by the boy racer brigade whose first mission when aquiring one is to fit a 3inch exhaust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

groupb wrote: »
    I did'nt mean they were'nt a great car. Its just that they tend to be driven in Ireland by the boy racer brigade whose first mission when aquiring one is to fit a 3inch exhaust.

Ah right yeah, that's a fair enough point.

couldn't just let evos be abused though, ya know ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭paddy316i

NickDrake wrote: »
    Bit too pricey I'd say

Ah no - I've a nicely priced one on donedeal:P

Advertisement