Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frame Size - Felt bike

Options
  • 02-10-2008 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I've seen size charts online but I'm not sure what to make of them. I'm 5'10 / 5'11 and am thinking of ordering a 56cm framed biked over the next few days. I think I've average-to-short legs for my height. Is 56cm likely to be OK? What do people of my height ride? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Sorry- meant to say it'll most likely be an F75 road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm 6" with short legs and ride a 54cm frame. It's maybe a tad small but that's what I wanted (bad back so don't want to be too stretched), and IMO too small is better than too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

Lumen wrote: »
    I'm 6" with short legs and ride a 54cm frame. It's maybe a tad small but that's what I wanted (bad back so don't want to be too stretched), and IMO too small is better than too big.

Yeah I'm 6 ft and ride a 56cm frame , having rode a 58cm previously . 56cm definitely more comfortable .............. My advice would be to get youself "sized" by a bike dealer , even if you ultimately intend buying online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

http://www.cbss.ca/Custom.htm

Follow the instructions on that page. Its seems to be the wider accepted logic of getting the best fit.

Inside seem is the most important thing.

72oo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I have a felt. First bike I have had where the frame fits me perfectly.

I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam and I have a 54cm frame (dispatch, similar geometry to the Z series, think the F has a longer reach?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I have a Felt too.... I'm 6' and it's got a 56cm frame.... perfect fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

6 foot, 32cm inside leg - 56cm frame - perfick

One further consideration....

If you get a frame that is a too small, you can raise the saddle to give you the correct leg fit. However, there is a limit to how much you can raise the stem, so you may find the handlebars too low.

I am in this position now. The top tube length and saddle height is comfortable, but the handlebars are 3" below the saddle. I would prefer 1", as I have a weak back.

I am now looking for a riser stem to compensate. These are not common on road bikes.

However, despite the drop to the bars, the smaller frame on my Kinesis is still more comfortable than my old hybrid with its bigger frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

I'm 5' 8", 30" inside leg and have a 54cm Z35. Good fit for me.

If you're based in Dublin, you could pop into Eurocycles on South William Street, they have a quite a few Felt bikes downstairs, maybe try them for size. Their prices tend to be on the high side though, so shop around once you know what you want.

OK great, thanks for the responses. Damn exchange rate has gone against me this week however!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DurtyMurty

Basster wrote: »
    Damn exchange rate has gone against me this week however!! :mad:

This Felt f65 any good to you?

Not familiar with the Felt F models - just came across this last week while researching another bike. Struck me as a very good price for Ultegra, but there may be catches - old stock? limited sizes? bad colour?.

I don't know anything about the supplier - just saw their ad in a bike mag. Website says they will ship to Europe but doesn't quote a price

DurtyMurty wrote: »
    This Felt f65 any good to you?

Not familiar with the Felt F models - just came across this last week while researching another bike. Struck me as a very good price for Ultegra, but there may be catches - old stock? limited sizes? bad colour?.

I don't know anything about the supplier - just saw their ad in a bike mag. Website says they will ship to Europe but doesn't quote a price

I can't find any references to the F65 post-2006, so it's probably old stock.

Still, Ultegra for £500 :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DurtyMurty

Still, Ultegra for £500 :-)

Sorry! - not that good I'm afraid - NOW £699.99 SAVE £500.00(42%)

Made the same mistake myself first time I read it
    I can't find any references to the F65 post-2006, so it's probably old stock.

Here's proof that if you wait long enough anything will come back in fashion (abeit with a slight colour change and new yellow bar tape)

Here's the link to the 08 F75. Note the shortish head tube (15cm) on the 56cm size, so your (Lumen) previous point on the handlebars being too low could be a consideration here for the OP. The 58 frame rises it by 2 cm but also pushes it 2 cm further out (Top Tube horizontal) . OP - I'ld focus on these factors rather than the actual seat tube length. Start by comparing them with a bike you 're familiar with

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Hi,

I actually own a Felt F65 that I bought from www.buyabikedirect.co.uk. I'm 6.3 and I ride a size 61cm frame. It's a perfect fit for me and the bike is superb. It's excellent value and I could not find anyone else to beat it with what componants that come with it.

That's a sweet deal from the looks of it. There used to be a few on R&A's sale stock but they quickly. Did you pay much in import taxes?

It's from England. You don't pay any taxes between countries within the EU.

Lovely bike and would recommend it to anyone starting off as it's got all the good componants that won't let you down.

Ah. As it happens I called on Sunday and they had only 60cm left.

So I placed an order for this instead with R&A, '09 stock so it doesn'y seem to be around much yet. I'm like a kid, I'm so excited! I had a quick check of Felt frame sizes in Eurobikes to make sure the fit was OK- cheers Madhatter, and everyone else for suggestions.

http://www.feltracing.com/09-catalog/road/classic-road/09-f75.aspx

Enjoy the ride!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EhBenDisDonc

I'm a bit late but, just in case you're still wondering about Felt sizing, I too am 5'11" and have a 58cm Felt Z80. For a good while I was worried that it was too big, but finally got comfortable by tweaking. Might possibly have been better off with 56cm.
    The bike looks great - enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Thats a savage bike basster, well wear!

• Advertisement
Advertisement