Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RANGE/STOVE SMOKEING..

Options
  • 02-10-2008 10:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi i fitted a small range in our sunroom last year as the ubderfloor heating is a disaster,anyway i have a fierce problem with the range smokeing on some days depending on what way the wind is blowing,the type of chimney i used is that stainless double skined stuff pipe(yea the real expensive stuff)anyway i obiously am geting a down draft so i have tried the chinamans hat thing and 2 other spinning things that go on the top of the chimney,none seem to be working.Just for more info when we open the window beside the range the flame blazes up and it stops smokeing but haveing the window open on a windy day defeats the purpose.the way it is piped is ,straight out the back of the range to a Tpiece,straight up to the soffit,a 90degree bend to brinh it out clear of the soffit,and then straight up.Now where it goes straight up with a 5ft pipe,it still does not clear the sunroom roof height and somebody told me that it might have to clear this to be able to get a draw on it,i was reluctant to do this for 2 reasons,one it would be an eyesore and 2 it would be very hard to get a good fixing anchor point on to the ridge of the roof.
    Anyway was just wondering if anyone has any input that may help me....

ps ///the misses says she is off if i dont sort it soon(so dont worry about it to much)icon7.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

It sounds as though the ventilation is the problem. The chimney cannot "draw" if the air isn't able to enter the room.

I figure you'll need to open a window a little or provide a trickle vent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Avns1s wrote: »
    It sounds as though the ventilation is the problem. The chimney cannot "draw" if the air isn't able to enter the room.

I figure you'll need to open a window a little or provide a trickle vent.
    Would it be as simple as thet you think,where would i put the vent,its not a big job anyway,would i put it up high,down low,opposite the range,or beside the range do you think..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

thetyreman wrote: »
    Would it be as simple as thet you think,where would i put the vent,its not a big job anyway,would i put it up high,down low,opposite the range,or beside the range do you think..

Low down and as close to the range as you can get.

ART6 wrote: »
    Low down and as close to the range as you can get.
    Whats the theory??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

thetyreman wrote: »
    Whats the theory??

A solid fuel fire needs a lot of air for combustion, so you need to let that into the room from somewhere. If you don't have some sort of supply from outside then the fire will try to pull air through under doors etc and cause draughts. However, if you fit an air inlet from outside, you don't want it pulling air across the room and taking away all your heat. So, if it's low down and as close to the stove as you can get then the cold air path is as short as possible and the amount of heat it can pull from the room is minimal. Some installations have a duct from under the grate to the outside, so the stove never pulls air into or across the room, and if you could do that, so much the better. In either case you would need to put a fine mesh grill over the inlet to stop insects and vermin from getting in, or you might find a smell of fried mouse in the room:D

• Advertisement

ART6 wrote: »
    A solid fuel fire needs a lot of air for combustion, so you need to let that into the room from somewhere. If you don't have some sort of supply from outside then the fire will try to pull air through under doors etc and cause draughts. However, if you fit an air inlet from outside, you don't want it pulling air across the room and taking away all your heat. So, if it's low down and as close to the stove as you can get then the cold air path is as short as possible and the amount of heat it can pull from the room is minimal. Some installations have a duct from under the grate to the outside, so the stove never pulls air into or across the room, and if you could do that, so much the better. In either case you would need to put a fine mesh grill over the inlet to stop insects and vermin from getting in, or you might find a smell of fried mouse in the room:D
    Will try this,thanks

Advertisement