Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

experiences with mobile broadband

Options
  • 02-10-2008 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

just wondering what peoples experiences with mobile broadband are like with regard to poker? What is the best network, vodafone, o2 or 3? is there a horrible lag or does it work alright? Could u rely on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Don't do it! I don't think FTP will give you access unless you have an individual IP which you don't get with mobile broadband I know I can't get on with mine. Stars works okish but you run the risk of disconnecting at a really bad time more so than fixed line. I only use it as a back up in terms of poker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

I have 02 broadband mobile and its as useless as tits ona bull.
    I got it as aback up inc ase my main connection ever failed and it has let me down numerous times its just usefull for checking email etc not playing poker.
    Disconnections can cost u alot of cash and the stress of having 4 to 8 table sdisconnect in middle of hands is horrible in summary fuk o2 shower of knuts customer service too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I'm guessing this means the gaff you saw today was decent matthew? Can you not get regular broadband for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭colquhom

gaff was alright (kind of, well sort of), location was very good, no phone line, this isnt sounding good, basically cant move out if the wireless broadband is ****

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I have o2 Broadband, i have never had a problem with it on any network ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭White Knight

To play poker on most reputable sites you require a strong stable connection.

Wireless mobile broadband bandwidth depends on so many more factors like coverage , number of people on a cell, what media they are downloading, device type and even the amount of moisture in the air, so advertised speeds are rarely ever achieved by any individual conditions and the most important stability is hard to achieve.

From personal experience I know 3 is one of the worst options if you need to use mobile broadband for poker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

CHD wrote: »
    I have o2 Broadband, i have never had a problem with it on any network ever.

not even on ipoker? lol

Seriously I have 3g from vodafone and I find it fine most of the time when I used to use it... I actually spent a whole summer in Achill Island last year and played poker from my camper van to earn a living and no problems...

Recently I played from Dublin with full coverage and got disconnected constantly.. so bit hit and miss I guess....

Vodafone is prob the best of them..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Nope i just seem to run into the worlds worst players on ipoker but thankfully it runs smoothly enough when im getting 1 outered etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

vodafone works perfectly here
    However it all depends on your location, but even edge networks ETC will run poker clients fine once your not getting any packetloss..
    BUT if it does occur your client wont disconnect, they`ll be a small delay..

Advoid 3 , there a utter shambles of a network.

Tryout the o2 trial first, u get 2 weeks free to test it and after that if its not up the scratch you can return it for free and get your money back..

Same goes for vodafone,
    but generally it totally depends on location

ask in the broadband forum if you need more info!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

3 mobile is crap - long lags on stars and takes forever for stars weekly updates to download. Can't access ft as previous poster said :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

I use 3 mobile in Ranelagh, connection is fine for playing poker but slower than a week in jail when it comes to downloading sheeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭colquhom

has anyone used this for playing poker as an alternative to mobile broadband? sorry for cluttering the main forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

advoid advoid advoid and advoid.

why not post these queries in the broadband thread :)

what mobile BB did/do u have?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

colquhom wrote: »
    has anyone used this for playing poker as an alternative to mobile broadband? sorry for cluttering the main forum
    Seriously this is a Poker forum, there is a broadband forum, where you will get better answers, I've merged your 2 threads and moved them over there where the good BB people will have better answers then here.

Ste05

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Ste05 wrote: »
    Seriously this is a Poker forum, there is a broadband forum, where you will get better answers, I've merged your 2 threads and moved them over there where the good BB people will have better answers then here.

Ste05

My IC is with Vodafone... have had a few problems with it alright... if the connection drops for a while then the table tends to freeze... always seems to happen with aces:rolleyes:

Don't know why this was moved from poker... people who are "broadband literate" don't especially need to know its specifications regarding online poker... i'd say the people who actually play poker online would be able to give a better answer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Hydrosylator

11.34 kb/second . That's what my download speed is at the moment on 02 mobile "broadband". How they get away with calling this broadband I don't know.

That's a lot faster than usual by the way. My average download speed is about 2 kb/second. Everybody I know around where I live (south Meath, Dunshaughlin/Ashbourne area) finds that mobile broadband is actually slower than a dial-up connection. This is last resort internet.

And a lot of the time I can't log on. And the software it comes with is just awful, it works half the time, and on a Mac, when I try and close the program, I have to force quit it about 60% of the time.

Advertisement