Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What questions to ask for Attic Conversion

Options
  • 02-10-2008 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Looking at getting the Attic converted and wonder what kind of questions should I be asking or things to be looking for. Will the architecs drawings cover most things or are they just the bare basics for builders to work with?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi Cubix

I think RKQ can answer this best but i would think you could have as much or as little detail on a set of plans as possible. Certainly on most jobs there is a structural drawing as in new works roof alterations and timber/blockwork etc construction. There is also a set of drawings for the plumbing and electrics to show wiring and piping layouts. So if you included these i would think a detailed one showing clearly all that needs to be done that way a builder can cost off the plans and not be leaving anything out.

Regards
    Builditwell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

cubix wrote: »
    Looking at getting the Attic converted and wonder what kind of questions should I be asking or things to be looking for. Will the architecs drawings cover most things or are they just the bare basics for builders to work with?

Thanks

Insulation. how much of it . and ask the builder if it is compliant to the latest regs. fire safety, cost, what type of velux, ect... the list is massive. check out the constitution and planning forum for a better reply. them lads dont miss much in the way of detail.

It must be a big job as you needed an architect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

Think about

maximising light - get the biggest velux installed that you can

power points - get some in each corner opf the room, as you may change configuration later

access from 2nd floor - think about best way to configure this - there may only be one way, but think about options. If builder is going up over the existing stairwell, make sure you see other jobs he has done of this type

- if going up from existing landing over existing stairwell, make sure the spec defines that the new finish ties into existing in terms of appearance

- as always with builders, keep some retention monies to ensure the loose ends are done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks for the hints/tips BuilditWell/Banchang. GSXR1 i presumed it was a given if you were doing an attic conversion you needed architecs drawings for planning etc?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    And dont let somebody talk you into putting a straight flight of stairs from a box room there is no point loosing a room to gain another I fitted a double dog leg to my house and it looks super :D

• Advertisement

Carpenter wrote: »
    Hi
    And dont let somebody talk you into putting a straight flight of stairs from a box room there is no point loosing a room to gain another I fitted a double dog leg to my house and it looks super :D

pics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

Carpenter wrote: »
    Hi

Excellent point

I made this mistake & a bedroom became a thoroughfare, so 3 years later when we were putting another bedroom over the garage, we took the opportunity to reverse this - an expensive mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Appreciate the tips lads,as GSXR1 suggested any pic's?. Just to ask again I take it is a given that you need archetecs plans for an attic

Cheers

cubix wrote: »
    Appreciate the tips lads,as GSXR1 suggested any pic's?. Just to ask again I take it is a given that you need archetecs plans for an attic

Cheers

no . not really. if you have dormer trusses or a cut roof all you will need is a good builder . Any carpenter should be able the beef up the floor and trim out a velux. An engineer can give you approval at the first fix.

Investigate fire regulation as this in my eyes is the most important factor after structure. most attic conversions are on small 3 bed houses . its not a massive job. You could run the job your self and hire trades in as you need them.

I have done them with out an architect's plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭enmac

you're doing right by engaging an architect for planning etc. but don't stop there - get your moneys wotrh from them - ask them to supply details for insulation, plumbing, wiring etc - anyone can draw a pretty picture of what they want - it up to architects to make sure all the interfaces will work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I am currently having our attic converted, so in sort of hindsight I would ask:

1. Are you [the contractor] going to be on site all the time and not just letting 2
    apprentices do it all?

2. Will anyone who makes a cup of tea at least put the feckin cups into the
    dishwasher :mad:

Sorry, just a few pet peeves at the moment!

oh, and:

3. Will you make sure not to be so stupid than to put a foot through our
    existing kitchen ceiling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

im presuming the arechitect is going to give you a cert of compliance too. if so then he should make sure that everything is up to regulation standard. attic conversions dont really have a lot regulation in terms of spec. they only spec for fire regs and energy efficiency ie insulation. and this isnt specific to attics its just in relation to three storey buildings. engineers and architects tend to allow some leeway in regard to stairs widthand height and things because it isnt practical. once your structure is sound and you accomodate for fire and energy regs everything else is pretty much for you to decide how you would like things as long as they are practical. iw ould advise to isulate as much as possible because a lot of heat is lost throught your roof

Advertisement