Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garlic Sauce/Chilli Sauce

• 02-10-2008 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭

anyone know where i can get Garlic and Chilli Sauces like they use in chippers? I wanna use the garlic sauce for homemade fries but also mix it with the chilli sauce to make the kebab sauce they use for chips in trays and stuff. Tried tesco and superquinn, surprisingly they don't even what i thought was a basic sauce in garlic. can anyone help?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Do you mean the garlic mayonnaise they sell in chippers? I just add crushed garlic and chopped parsley to mayonnaise.
    I'm not sure what chilli sauce you mean but Mai Ploy sweet chilli sauce is nice and it's available in most supermarkets.
    Burger sauce is mayo mixed with Thousand Islands Dressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Burger sauce is mayo mixed with Thousand Islands Dressing.

...and left out in the sun.

Follow Dizzy's advise and you shan't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Superquinn sell portions of therir own taco sauce in plastic salad containers, usually beside their salad bars but if you ask someone there they'll point you in the right direction....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

hmm ok, thanks for the advice so far. is garlic sauce garlic mayonnaise? it looks a bit thinner than mayonnaise sometimes though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Maybe they add a drop of lemon juice? It's worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Lea & Perrins do a good garlic sauce, 24% garlic. I buy it in Dunnes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭NervousNude

I know what you mean OP, garlic sauce is definitely different to garlic mayo. Garlic sauce is usually scooped out with a ladle and put on kebabs and the likes. It's definitely not spreadable like mayo is. Can't shed any light on where to get your hands on any though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

You could try a yoghurt garlic sauce. Replace the mayonnaise with yoghurt, and add a squeeze of lemon juice. Should be more what you're looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Do you mean the garlic mayonnaise they sell in chippers? I just add crushed garlic and chopped parsley to mayonnaise.
    I'm not sure what chilli sauce you mean but Mai Ploy sweet chilli sauce is nice and it's available in most supermarkets.

Golden Lion and Cock brands are nicer than Mai Ploy (less sugar, more chilli/garlic). You can get them all though for about 2.30 a bottle (about 800mls) in the Oriental Imporium shops (one in Rathmines, a few in town) which is a good bit cheaper than I've seen in the supermarkets. Stuff is delicious though, I eat it on toast, naan bread, as a dip for nachoes and mixed in with rice - Yummy :).

Edit: its labelled in the imporiums as "Sweet Chilli Sauce for Chicken", as thats how its used in Thailand, but it contains no chicken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

you can get garlic sauce /sweet chili sauce at the Vegeplanet stand at the Sunday Market in Dun Laoghaire. I think they are at Blackrock Market (on a Saturday) too. It's great sauce - massive bottle of it :)
    Vegeplanet also do great spring rolls and samosas and such :) yum yum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

noby wrote: »
    You could try a yoghurt garlic sauce. Replace the mayonnaise with yoghurt, and add a squeeze of lemon juice. Should be more what you're looking for

Or use half yoghurt and half humous - thin with a little water or lemon juice - then add as much mashed raw garlic as you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Deediddums

I know the type of chilli sauce you're after and it's not sweet chilli sauce (although that would be yum). A really good apporximation of what you get in the chipper can be made by lashing a good amourt of chilli powder into ketchup, this can be watered down a bit if you want the chipper consistency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 booah

if you want a homemade recipe for a chilli sauce try this:

1-2 spoons of oil
    2 cloves of garlic,
    1 tbsp of ginger grated/finely chopped,
    2 lemongrass finely chopped,
    1 red onion finely chopped,
    1 red chilli pepper (including seeds if you want it spicier)
    0.5 tsp sugar
    0.5 tsp of salt
    1 tsp soy sauce
    1 red bell pepper chopped
    300ml of water
    1 tsp tomato sauce
    1 tsp sweet chilli sauce

cook all the ingredients up to the red bell pepper on a low heat for about 8-10 mins. After this
    add the red bell pepper and contine to cook for another 8 mins. Next add the water and the sauces,
    bring to the boil then simmer for 10 mins. Blend (pref using a hand blender- much easier).

That is more or less the 'chilli chicken men' sauce from the wagamama book off the top of my head.
    I dont bother adding the tomato+chilli sauces as you dont notice and it kinda defeats the purpose.
    Enjoy.

Advertisement