Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus - 2 flights booked together, just me flying

• 02-10-2008 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Just wondering what happens in the case where you have booked two flights, and it's just myself flying?

Do I get the two seats together, or what is the craic at check in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

People usually book two seats if they are taking something valuable like a musical instrument that is too valuable to chance going in the hold, It would be up to you to make sure the two seats are together at checkin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

i would doubr you will get the extra seat, chance are the flight was over sold so even though you know one less person is flying the plane could still be full. also i would assume the only way to reserve the seat would be to actually check someone into it and they won't allow you to check in twice or check in someone who isn't going to travel.

I remember hearing a story where a large guy had to buy an extra seat on a plane due to his size, but the seats weren't even placed together.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

I'll see if I can print the two boarding passes at the check in machine, seeing I'm not checking in any baggage, and then they won't know til I get to the gate that it's just me. Might that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Peckham

Would imagine you could cause delays to the flight leaving as the boarding gate tries to reconcile the numbers boarded versus the numbers checked-in, and then issue a number of announcements for "Mr X" to present himself at the boarding gate. Not very fair on other passengers, or the airline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

this may sound like a daft question, but Why did you book for two?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Peckham wrote: »
    Would imagine you could cause delays to the flight leaving as the boarding gate tries to reconcile the numbers boarded versus the numbers checked-in, ................. Not very fair on other passengers, or the airline.

You have booked two flights- are they for 2 different people?
    Will you use self check-in? If so you can check in your phantom buddy using the PNR code and get issued two boarding passes. By checking in both tickets the airline staff will be expecting 2 passengers.
    However to prevent a delay as decribed above you would have to tell the boarding gate staff that the second person is not travelling so they could delete them from the headcount.
    You can pay for an extra seat,some people often do this for valuable musical instruments or even just for comfort on longhaul flights. The latter option is cheaper than paying for Premier on EI.

I remember hearing a story where a large guy had to buy an extra seat on a plane due to his size, but the seats weren't even placed together.

This did happen,about 2-3 years ago I think. However the guy was travelling with a group.When a group checks-in the seats are assigned randomly to each person in the group. You pre-book the seats but it is a block booking rather than per individual. So yes the guy got assigned seat C and D,both aisle seats. All he had to do was have his mate in B sit in D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

this may sound like a daft question, but Why did you book for two?

I once booked for 3 and only I made it. It was a lovely comfy flight with the 3 seats to myself, only shame it was only to UK. I checked us all in again on the way back and had no issues, the way I looked at it was I'd payed for the seats and wasn't getting any money back so why should they be able to sell them again.

Advertisement