Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimmney Dampner

Options
  • 02-10-2008 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Anyone ever here of a chimmney dampner.
    Apperantlty it can be fitted to your chimney to stop down draughts.
    What I need to know would/could the use of a dampner increase the flow of heat from an open fire into a room for more heat when the fire is lit.Apperantly it stops heat going up the chimmney when there is no fire on.

Tring to decide whether this solution would be better than fitting a stove ( room may be too small)

Has anyone got one installed and are they effective.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

johndeff wrote: »
    What I need to know would/could the use of a dampner increase the flow of heat from an open fire into a room for more heat when the fire is lit.

No... if you close the dampner when the fire is lit, the room will fill with smoke.
    Have you considered using an insert or fire front?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 johndeff

Thanks for your reply ..Sorry I should have clarified once th fire is fully lit ( not smoking) you would 3/4 close the dampner allowing smoke to escape as normal up the chimmney.He suggests that most of the heat that would be lost through the chimney (60-70 %) would then be reflected into the room !

My room is too small for a stove but if I was guaranteed more heat into the room this device would be a good alternative !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 johndeff

Sorry RKQ what/ how does an insert or fire front work ?

Advertisement