Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French opinion pieces

Options
  • 02-10-2008 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭

Anyone else freaked out about theese?

like i dont think theyre horrifically bad but im really nervous that on the day i wont understand the title of it.

were just convering around 12 in class and learing loads of vocab that can be put into any essay to pad them out but its one of my weakest parts in french.

anyone got any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

The first question (The mandatory one) is always based somehow on the reading comprehensions you have to do, so you should understand the gist of it.
    The rest of them are based on pictures and things so you can kind of guess. They probably won't put in mad weird language, but well... just like any part of a language exam, they are testing your understanding too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

this how an essay should go

me i agree/disagree with this statement

cause i personally think bla bla

according to my friend (insert his different opinion)

give some proof that backs up your point

closing statement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

More of a paragraph than an essay tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

They look really intimidating but they're really not that bad at the start. You'll learn off plenty of vocab during the year. I doubt you won't understand any of them, especially the picture ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

ive done two this weekend one on the role of women and one on holidays 50 years ago and now.

hope to god i get pass marks on them.really bad at french

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

ive done two this weekend one on the role of women and one on holidays 50 years ago and now.

hope to god i get pass marks on them.really bad at french
    And here's a likely image for it :D

Husband-of-the-year.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

They do look very difficult when you start them, but they do get easier the more you do.
    Just practice answering the ones from past papers, learn the relevant vocab and pretty soon you'll have found the best way to write them.
    And remember vital phrases like "In my opinion", "I agree/disagree with this because..." etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

do you have to do a formal letter or not? I haven't looked at the papers yet :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Ancee

Don't worry, I hated French and just kept practising from past papers and learning vocab for all the usual themes such as teenagers, drugs/alcohol, technology etc., in fact anything you can think of to do with everyday living. The vocab you prepare for your oral will really help with the written. We got quite difficult comprehensions in 2008 imo but an educated guess usually works. I got a C1 and was delighted - 70 points!! Don't forget to prepare a letter formal/informal and a diary entry, they're easy options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

K4t wrote: »
    And here's a likely image for it :D

Husband-of-the-year.jpg
    Une femme

parce que la biére est lourde.

Not my joke, it's a Motivational poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Ancee wrote: »
    Don't worry, I hated French and just kept practising from past papers and learning vocab for all the usual themes such as teenagers, drugs/alcohol, technology etc., in fact anything you can think of to do with everyday living. The vocab you prepare for your oral will really help with the written. We got quite difficult comprehensions in 2008 imo but an educated guess usually works. I got a C1 and was delighted - 70 points!! Don't forget to prepare a letter formal/informal and a diary entry, they're easy options.

To people who did the LC this year, what did ye think of the french written paper in general? We did it in class a couple of weeks ago, bit by bit and I found the comprehesnions very difficult compared to 2007, 2006........

Advertisement