Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Spin 4th October 2008

Options
  • 03-10-2008 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭

NOT GOING ON SATURDAY DUE TO RAINY WEATHER.

IT IS NOW THE SUNDAY SPIN THREAD.

Hi, if the weather is OK, I was thinking of heading northwards from Dublin on Saturday morning, at least to Naul and perhaps Duleek and Balbriggan area after that. Anyone want to come?

Ian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'll put myself down as a maybe, depending on Friday night indulgences.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I was going to go out tomorrow morning, but now I'm not so sure. I'm planning on heading out on Orwell anyway on Sunday. Crazy work this week and a wedding reception tonight are making me think that maybe I should have a lie in in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

el tonto wrote: »
    I was going to go out tomorrow morning, but now I'm not so sure. I'm planning on heading out on Orwell anyway on Sunday. Crazy work this week and a wedding reception tonight are making me think that maybe I should have a lie in in the morning.

Never let your life get in the way of your cycling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

any one interested in wicklow?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raam wrote: »
    Never let your life get in the way of your cycling :)

I rarely do. But sometimes you have those kind of weeks when you think that if you get on a bike first thing in the morning you risk falling down with exhaustion. I'll play it by ear and see how I feel in the morning.
    barrabus wrote: »

Are you still going out on Sunday Barrabus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

Are you still going out on Sunday Barrabus?

I probably will no weekend plans yet ...

I probably will no weekend plans yet ...

Well, I'll see you there anyway. If someone organises a spin for tomorrow I may show up depending on how I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Yes, but would be on Sunday. Weather supposed to be foul tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Swords CC has 2 spins in that general direction if you're looking for company !
    Leisure Group
    09.15 from Lord Mayors 30-50 miles , AVS 14mph/22kph, Coffee Stop
    All year round (once it's not raining!)

Saturday 'Half Eight' group
    As the name suggests......... departs at half eight (sharp) from Blakes Cross, Lusk, Skerries, Balrothery,Naul and over the Three Sisters then back to Swords via Oldtown and the back of the Airport
    All year round

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chroma

I'm going for a spin anyway, so if you're not going flat out I just might join you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

RobFowl wrote: »
    Swords CC has 2 spins in that general direction if you're looking for company !
    Leisure Group
    09.15 from Lord Mayors 30-50 miles , AVS 14mph/22kph, Coffee Stop
    All year round (once it's not raining!)

Saturday 'Half Eight' group
    As the name suggests......... departs at half eight (sharp) from Blakes Cross, Lusk, Skerries, Balrothery,Naul and over the Three Sisters then back to Swords via Oldtown and the back of the Airport
    All year round
    Thanks for the info!
    chroma wrote: »
    I'm going for a spin anyway, so if you're not going flat out I just might join you.
    I'm no hardcore racer!

However www.met.ie says this for Saturday

Saturday will be mild, overcast and windy, with rain spreading to all areas in the morning and turning heavy in the west and northwest. Drier conditions will develop in the northern half of the country later but rain or drizzle will persist in the south. Strong, southwest winds will moderate by evening, veering northerly in the north. Much milder; highest temperatures 13 to 16 degrees Celsius.

and

Sunday may be dull and misty in some southern coastal areas at first but otherwise the day will be mostly dry and bright, with sunny spells developing. However, a few scattered showers are still possible. Quite cool, with mostly light northeasterly or variable winds.

---

If I'm only going out for one spin this weekend (which I am) it would seem stupid to go on Saturday when Sunday is supposed to be so good.

Thus I'm going to leave it until Sunday.

I live in Rathmines so I could meet anyone else at the Harold's X dog track, or on the northside if that's where you live.

Húrin wrote: »
    Thus I'm going to leave it until Sunday.

I live in Rathmines so I could meet anyone else at the Harold's X dog track, or on the northside if that's where you live.

Hope to go tomorrow. Fancy heading up around Wicklow. It is dependant on family circumstances (very heavily pregnant wife). But all being well, will be out in the morning. Name a time and I can meet, if interested. If I have to pull out, I will leave a msg on the board early in the am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

ROK ON wrote: »
    Hope to go tomorrow. Fancy heading up around Wicklow. It is dependant on family circumstances (very heavily pregnant wife).

Me too! 4 weeks to go to child no.3. God knows spins from November will be tricky to arrange.

Planning on joining the Orwell Wheelers beginners spin at 9.30 from Joe Daly's. That will probably be a Wicklow spin.

I'll be showing up at Orwell tomorrow too. Hopefully it's dryer than this afternoon. Soggy shorts.

I'll be showing up at Orwell tomorrow too. Hopefully it's dryer than this afternoon. Soggy shorts.

Promising forecast - "dry and bright with good sunny spells. Fairly cool at first tomorrow morning; then temperatures rising to between 11 and 13C by the early afternoon."

:D

unionman wrote: »
    Me too! 4 weeks to go to child no.3. God knows spins from November will be tricky to arrange.

Planning on joining the Orwell Wheelers beginners spin at 9.30 from Joe Daly's. That will probably be a Wicklow spin.

Sounds good but they won't approve of my straight-handlebars bike. :confused:

OK, if anybody is watching out there, I should be at Phibsboro Shopping Centre, at the Eddie Rocket's end, at about 9.40 tomorrow morning. I'll be wearing the Aldi cycling gear (black trousers, red jersey). My helmet is red and my bike has a cheesy, amateur paint job.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chroma

Unforch I went out today in the rain because I'm working tomorrow. Good luck!

Good spin today with the Orwell crew. Met Barrabus and aidan.offbeat there.

Good spin today with the Orwell crew. Met Barrabus and aidan.offbeat there.

Gutted I missed this. Hope to be there next week. Good turnout?

• Advertisement

Big turnout alright. So many showed up for the beginners spin that they split it in two. I went with one of those groups and when the time came to turn off, no one wanted to go back. So we pushed on and hooked up with one of the faster groups in Lackan. Jumped on the back of them and flew back into town. 90km more or less, 25kph avg speed. No big hills.

Big turnout alright. So many showed up for the beginners spin that they split it in two. I went with one of those groups and when the time came to turn off, no one wanted to go back. So we pushed on and hooked up with one of the faster groups in Lackan. Jumped on the back of them and flew back into town. 90km more or less, 25kph avg speed. No big hills.

Cool!

I had an winning time as well. I went on a very scenic route to Drogheda via the Naul. Perhaps foolishly I returned by the coast roads, then Lusk, and then the dual carriageway around Swords, which made for boring riding.

Nice spin out to base of Kippure, via Powerscourt, Liam Horner memorial and home via Stocking Lane. Beautiful day but cold. New Assos fleece lined tights came in handy.
    Either I am getting a wee bit fitter or it is much easier climibing in cold crisp weather - ie dont burn up/or sweat to death, and found it easier to get my breath. Do other people find this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Sorry to post so late, but our Saturday spin was up the Lauteret and the Galibier -we waitind in Bourg D'Oisans for Aaaaages, but noone else showed... :)

Advertisement