Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heating Systems - what to do????

• 03-10-2008 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I have just sat on a roller for a couple of days and am delighted that is over. We are still undecided on our heating systems as there is so many different points of view. We are decided on one thing... not to use GeoThermal or underfloor for many reasons - main reason as that the system takes so long to pay for itself ( a system for 30k at a mortgage rate will take up to 35 to 40 years to pay for itself rather than the 20 or so suggested as people do not take into account for the borrowing of money to install such a system.

We are thinking of going for
    1 Solar panels - not sure on type but have been told that there are new panels out that work during weather that is not sunny. Anyone know of these and what are better, flat or tubes? Can solar panels heat rads or water?

2 Stove - multifuel burner for the kitchen. Any suggestions and a stove would be very welcome.

3 Radiator system - we have been told that some stoves can heat up to 13 rads and that aluminium rads are the way to go. Anyone know of some good brands? Anyone used Alurads?

3 Oil Burner to heat water and as a top up for a quick heat solution when required.

We are going to maximise insulation and recovery of heat so if anyone knows anything about insulation and heat recovery systems PLEASE DO HELP!

I have enjoyed the reading of threads so far and thanks to all!

On a lighter note.. just bought a nintendo wii... a must for a household and believe me I am not a gamer!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

wardwil wrote: »

2 Stove - multifuel burner for the kitchen. Any suggestions and a stove would be very welcome.

3 Oil Burner to heat water and as a top up for a quick heat solution when required.

re: stove if you're going to have an open system (non pressurised) i'd opt
    for a back boiler on the stove, we have a stove installed in our kitchen, which was sized correctly for the room.

The heat from this thing is unreal even when using just a few small bits of timber - (no coal used) pity we can't use it to heat the rest of the house
    as i've installed a pressurised system.

oil burner, condensing boiler is the way to go, and i've saved a fortune
    alone by having this installed, these are a bit more expensive.(two irish made on the market both equally good, your plumber most likely will have a personal preference)

if you want any recommendations, then the usual applies....ask via pm:)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Slates

De_man wrote: »
    re: stove if you're going to have an open system (non pressurised) i'd opt
    for a back boiler on the stove, we have a stove installed in our kitchen, which was sized correctly for the room.

The heat from this thing is unreal even when using just a few small bits of timber - (no coal used) pity we can't use it to heat the rest of the house
    as i've installed a pressurised system.

oil burner, condensing boiler is the way to go, and i've saved a fortune
    alone by having this installed, these are a bit more expensive.(two irish made on the market both equally good, your plumber most likely will have a personal preference)

if you want any recommendations, then the usual applies....ask via pm:)

Why is the pressurised system stoping you from using a oil boiler and a stove with a back boiler, could you not use a system link to use both to heat the house ?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

are you building to minimum building standards?

Slates wrote: »
    Why is the pressurised system stoping you from using a oil boiler and a stove with a back boiler, could you not use a system link to use both to heat the house ?

initially, i thought i could, its no prob to hook up the back boiler
    with system link, but my plumber and others from a safety view point said it
    wasn't possible (i had even thought of using a UPS on the backboiler pump
    in case of power outages)

if someone can figure it out, i'd be extremely grateful, i've run the flow
    and return pipes to the stoves just incase:)

Can someone pm me the details of a heating engineer/plumber please

• Advertisement

hi slates if you get some definite information on this could you let us
    know.

i had been told by my plumber and other plumbers pricing my job
    and forum members here (on boards diy site), if something goes wrong e.g. power failure it could prove to be very costly!!! i argued this point at length saying i could put in a 2hour UPS connected to the stove pump.

Plumbers refused point blank to do it, (rightly so) saying in the event of a F++++p the insurance company could/would go after him.

if i had a choice again i would have went with an open/gravity system
    and used the back boiler to heat the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭bauderline

I thought this was fairly standard ?

Solid Fuel Boiler / Stove with large buffer tank. The unvented tank is heated by a coil fed from the buffer tank. Space heating is also fed off the buffer tank which can also be charged by another heating source as well...

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭wardwil

Thanks for that De Man.. did you use solar panels? Or do you know anything about them. How do i pm for the contacts?

hi slates if you get some definite information on this could you let us
    know.

i had been told by my plumber and other plumbers pricing my job
    and forum members here (on boards diy site), if something goes wrong e.g. power failure it could prove to be very costly!!! i argued this point at length saying i could put in a 2hour UPS connected to the stove pump.

Plumbers refused point blank to do it, (rightly so) saying in the event of a F++++p the insurance company could/would go after him.

if i had a choice again i would have went with an open/gravity system
    and used the back boiler to heat the house
    Hi De man, I've got that info, how does one go about attaching a pdf to a post ???

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭wardwil

Hi All,

Has anyone heard of this. It is supposed to be like the heat pumps without heating water. Seemingly, the whole house is heated from outside air which is heated when it comes into the house.

Thanks
    Will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Do you mean air to water?
    If so, have heard of that and got a brief description from a salesman....have read some bad stuff on it though in terms of when the waether is very cold or freezing as the system actually (i think anyway) has to take heat FROM the house to sort of defrost it and get it going....so I am told anyway!!
    ..therefore when you most need it (whenit v cold or freezing), its at its worst in trems of performance.....

feel free to correct me if I am wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Juantorena

wardwil, I have pm'd you a manufacturer of an air-to-air heating system I intend to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Juantorena wrote: »
    wardwil, I have pm'd you a manufacturer of an air-to-air heating system I intend to use.
    Thats the way to do it. :)

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

look here before you buy . download the reports - see how the model you are looking at fared in tests

http://www.ntb.ch/3896.html

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭oldhead

i was thinking of going GEO, i did not know that it took that long to pay off., does anybody know the new regs for insulation that is coming in the next 2/3 years. i am just about to start my blocks. i have been advised to build a 4" block, then cavity, then 75mm insulation, then 4" block, then 50mm cosy board on the inside of the external walls. did anyone else here of this. many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Its all in here - and covers a lot more than insulation .
    The new regulations apply to houses not completed by 1 July next year

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,16557,en.pdf

We are expecting new tougher regulations in 2010

You should buy the latest Homebond manual

And appoint a professional building consultant

hi slates

to attach the pdf, reply to the thread in the normal manner...

on the top tool bar you'll see a paper clip, it's straightforward from that

looking forward to seeing the PDF

thanks

De-man, please see attached

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭oldhead

i have been advised by quinn therm. they gave me 3 options.
    1: 4" block + 40mm cavity + 75mm insulation + 4" block + 38mm slab board.
    2: 4" block + 40mm cavity + 100mm insulation + 4" block.
    3: 4" block + 40mm cavity + 75mm insulation + 6" Quinn Therm Blocks.

Has any tried these quinn therm blocks. I dnt know whether to go for option 1 or option 3. I dnt like the idea of the slab. A solid wall is nice to have for kitchens and stuff.

De-man, please see attached
    Well De-man, what do you think ?

• Advertisement

Well De-man, what do you think ?

Slates well done!!!!!! looks like i'll be selling a secondhand stove very soon

i'm going to get in touch with my plumber & show him the drawing:(

i'll get back asap

thanks again

slates, just got the info,,,from reading the drawings the plumber is in full
    agreement with them....now the hard part....

you can have a presurised water system (showers etc) but your heating will have to be open/gravity as per the drawings on the pdf file,
    in order to allow the stove to be hooked up for heating.

if you're happy with an open heating system well i'd go for it

he's sticking to his guns regarding our place, my system is fully closed
    (looks i'll be making some changes to facilitate the stove....)

he reckons have pressurised hot water circuits, open/gravity heating
    rather than fully pressurised system....but you should clear this with
    your own plumber as you'll have to discuss your solar system installation
    as well (if necessary get him to phone system link for assistance)

a couple of pointers

if i remember rightly your tank is going to be in the garage....don't forget a secondary return for the hot water to reduce time delay from the garage
    to the house,,,,you can have this circuit on a timer for use at peak times....

i came across a tv programme recently that canadian guy mike holmes, he
    had an excellent idea....have a PIR sensor in the bathroom / ensuites....
    when you go in...PIR activates the hot water pump in the garage...(with time delay) (use contactors) so by the time you finish your business you'll have hot water on tap

why didn't i think of that!!!!:o great idea

slates, just got the info,,,from reading the drawings the plumber is in full
    agreement with them....now the hard part....

you can have a presurised water system (showers etc) but your heating will have to be open/gravity as per the drawings on the pdf file,
    in order to allow the stove to be hooked up for heating.

if you're happy with an open heating system well i'd go for it

he's sticking to his guns regarding our place, my system is fully closed
    (looks i'll be making some changes to facilitate the stove....)

he reckons have pressurised hot water circuits, open/gravity heating
    rather than fully pressurised system....but you should clear this with
    your own plumber as you'll have to discuss your solar system installation
    as well (if necessary get him to phone system link for assistance)

a couple of pointers

if i remember rightly your tank is going to be in the garage....don't forget a secondary return for the hot water to reduce time delay from the garage
    to the house,,,,you can have this circuit on a timer for use at peak times....

i came across a tv programme recently that canadian guy mike holmes, he
    had an excellent idea....have a PIR sensor in the bathroom / ensuites....
    when you go in...PIR activates the hot water pump in the garage...(with time delay) (use contactors) so by the time you finish your business you'll have hot water on tap

why didn't i think of that!!!!:o great idea

Thanks a million

Advertisement