Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debate Watch

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

Hmmm, I keep listening to Biden and thinking I could do a better job, he's all waffly and technical.

She is doing a better job of communicating, even if she isn't "right". Though at last he seems to be hitting home a bit, saying where are they different from George Bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

BenjAii wrote: »
    Hmmm, I keep listening to Biden and thinking I could do a better job, he's all waffly and technical.

She is doing a better job of communicating, even if she isn't "right". Though at last he seems to be hitting home a bit, saying where are they different from George Bush.

AH, Exactly, that's where he needs to win. Foreign Policy!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

NU-CLE-AR

bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

BenjAii wrote: »

She is doing a better job of communicating, even if she isn't "right". .

Ye, who needs "facts" to win debates?

As long as BIden keeps beating the 'we were right, you were wrong' drum, i think its a job well done IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It's still uncelar who will be President, but it's celar that mugging the camera is a risky strategy.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Both seem very respectful to each other, good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Very impressive win on points by Biden. Unlike his opponent, he actually answered the questions! Attacked McCain policies, record. Attacked Bush. Made a stinging remark about Cheney being one of the most dangerous VPs in American history. He was assured, gracious to his opponent and came across as quite passionate. Didn't expect such a strong performance for him. i actually think he performed better than Obama did in last weeks debate. He came across as authentic, whereas her folksy 'charm' and shout out to a 3rd Grade class didn't seem sincere.

Palin was wafer thin. Did not answer many of the questions posed and waffled through pre-prepared talking points. Her ability to "connect with the folks" on their level might have gone down well with voters who are basically thick, but anyone with a thinking brain shouldn't have bought it! No major gaffes though, so she she did no harm to herself. Obviously, the tutoring she received in the last few days ironed her presentational kinks and i don't see any more Couric style interview disasters from this point on.

i didn't see much evidence of how she helped McCain's chances though. Sure, she neutralised some of her negatives, but she's still totally unready and unqualified.

Right, i'm off to bed again. Got a few hours kip before the debate and set my alarm for 1:45, in time to get a cuppa tea and be alert. Up again for work in 3 hours! *sigh*

GOBAMA! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭yaynay

Just watching clips of the debate on CBS. She done a good job in comparision to previous interviews etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Just watching it now on RTE. Feel like Biden is Frank Grimes and Palin is Homer!!
    Look at how stupid she is can't you see!!!!

Can she answer a question!!!!

To be fair though, I don't think either of them done a great job of answering the questions directly, however, they both got their points across even if it meant turing the question to suit them. Isn't that what most politicians do anyway?

I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone who hasn't made up their mind and I think she done better than expected.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Couldn't disagree more. IF you look at her sentences written down, they don't actually make sense. She was all over the place, telling everyone that she "might not answer the way you or the moderator want it", etc - basically an excuse to waffle.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7649817.stm

Those answers have been hugely condensed and therefore do not give the full effect of how the question was answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I am genuinely scared by Palin being VP, but to middle america she came across OK. The format suited her, it allowed her to obfuscate and waffle with no interjection, a la Couric, to put her on the spot and get her to answer the question.

I could see she hasn't got a fecking clue, but I doubt middle America could. Plus the bar was set at ground level.

Inq

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

yaynay wrote: »
    Those answers have been hugely condensed and therefore do not give the full effect of how the question was answered.

They may have been condensed but they are direct quotes. Her sentence structure was incoherent.

taconnol wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more. IF you look at her sentences written down, they don't actually make sense. She was all over the place, telling everyone that she "might not answer the way you or the moderator want it", etc - basically an excuse to waffle.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7649817.stm

I was saying the same thing after the mccain obama debate..is there an actual transcript on the net?..Did anyone actually listen to mccain..he was just speaking in circles..ranting on about fixing things, mavericks etc..firing out buzzwords..I would be interested to see a transcript..After watching it I was no clearer on any actual 'policy'..

Inquitus wrote: »
    I could see she hasn't got a fecking clue, but I doubt middle America could. Plus the bar was set at ground level.

Exactly. As i said, it probably worked with those without a thinking brain, the thick voter who there are plenty of (i encountered several incredibly stupid people talking politics on a recent trip there). BTW, i have respect for Republicans and McCain voters in general who can argue their reasons for supporting him coherently. But i've no respect for those who defend Palin's ability to be VP

I was saying the same thing after the mccain obama debate..is there an actual transcript on the net?..Did anyone actually listen to mccain..he was just speaking in circles..ranting on about fixing things, mavericks etc..firing out buzzwords..I would be interested to see a transcript..After watching it I was no clearer on any actual 'policy'..

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/26/debate.mississippi.transcript/
    Biden-Palin: http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/02/debate.transcript/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Cadet?

bobbyjoe wrote: »
    Just watching it now on RTE. Feel like Biden is Frank Grimes and Palin is Homer!!
    Look at how stupid she is can't you see!!!!

Can she answer a question!!!!

Unfortunate thing about that comparison is that Homer would absolutely cane Grimesey in an election!

Hmm, what is it with her dumbed down folksy talk? Does anyone really like being referred to as "Joe six-pack"?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

CtrlSource wrote: »
    Hmm, what is it with her dumbed down folksy talk? Does anyone really like being referred to as "Joe six-pack"?!

A fat dude named Joe maybe?

Palin could have been ruined in this debate if the moderator had had any guts. She should have chased her for answers, Biden also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Otacon wrote: »
    A fat dude named Joe maybe?

Palin could have been ruined in this debate if the moderator had had any guts. She should have chased her for answers, Biden also.

She couldn't go after her as she would have appeared biased. She was already under fire from some quarters (GOP and its media wing the FNC ;)) as she's about to publish a book about black US politicians and their political struggle and how it paved the way for Obama.

Furthermore, i've noticed that the moderators of these Presidential debates generally shy away from any sort of probing of the candidates - presumably so that they can't be attacked for bias by either side afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Maybe they should get an Independant to moderate it then, or a panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The rules of the were fixed so that this was more of a joint press conference than anything else. No direct questions, 90 second answers, etc.

Total bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Transcript prob posted already but bloody hell!!!
    From
    http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/02/debate.transcript/

"You know, I think a good barometer here, as we try to figure out has this been a good time or a bad time in America's economy, is go to a kid's soccer game on Saturday, and turn to any parent there on the sideline and ask them, "How are you feeling about the economy?"

"Now doggone it, let's look ahead and tell Americans what we have to plan to do for them in the future. You mentioned education, and I'm glad you did. I know education you are passionate about with your wife being a teacher for 30 years, and god bless her. Her reward is in heaven, right? ... My brother, who I think is the best schoolteacher in the year, and here's a shout-out to all those third graders at Gladys Wood Elementary School, you get extra credit for watching the debate."

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tina Fey Palin spoof interview (Saturday night Live) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yysp_w52fNg

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Seanies32 wrote: »
    Yeah, but she has improved.

Stop saying MAVERICK though!

If everyone was such a goddamn Maverick (tm) then how did they get the entire party to support them?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

its the maverick party! I feel the need for speed! GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!

Advertisement