Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying in Oz

Options
  • 03-10-2008 5:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

I have a question about studying in Australia, can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere.

I'm here on a de facto spouse visa, and want to do a TAFE course, Cert IV. I looked into it a few months ago and called a few different TAFEs and they all said I'd be considered an international student, because I'm on a provisional residency for the next 2 years. Once I get permanent residency I can be a domestic student. That was quite depressing as I didn't want to have to wait 2 years to start sudying.

However, I called my TAFE of choice again today, wanting to find out what the international fees are for the course I want to do, and the guy there told me that I'd be a domestic student, because I'm not on a temporary student visa or a worker's visa etc.

So I can't find any actual government rule about this, and the TAFEs have told me two different things. The terms of my visa say that I am free to study but cannot receive any government help / grant to do so. I checked immi.gov.au but couldn't find anything.

Does anyone here know what I'm supposed to be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm pretty sure you are classed as a full resident as the in the first 2 years of the defacto visa you have all the same entitlements as you do after. I'm open to correction though.

Advertisement