Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help me find a car

Options
  • 03-10-2008 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

I am budgeting 10K euro or 8 GBP for a car dont want to spend more than 4.5on vrt so 14.500 is the max.
    Must be very economical will be doing about 25K a year.
    Not to hard to run
    Must have decent, boot space, rear leg room and be albe to sit three kids.

Thinking Audi A4, A6, 320D, Passat, Superb...... Would prefer a sporty estate.
    Going for a straight deal as I have an 8 yo focus to clean up, NCT and put on the side of a road.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

bennyc wrote: »
    I am budgeting 10K euro or 8 GBP for a car.

You are probably better sticking to the €10K budget as I don't think £8stg is going to get you far, unless it's one of those matchbox cars you are after :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

FredH3as wrote: »
    You are probably better sticking to the €10K budget as I don't think £8stg is going to get you far, unless it's one of those matchbox cars you are after :pac:.

Are you joking? 8k sterling will get much more than 10k euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Sorry I am not very clear I am taking a loan of 10K euro which is close on 7900sterling , that is the funds I will have availible when going to car giant etc. As for the vrt I intend to pay form savings so if that takes a few weeks then the car will sit in drive until then.
    The way I see it I would be mad in the head to even look in Ireland for a Diesel.

So sonething like this should be an option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

bennyc wrote: »
    Sorry I am not very clear I am taking a loan of 10K euro which is close on 7900sterling , that is the funds I will have availible when going to car giant etc. As for the vrt I intend to pay form savings so if that takes a few weeks then the car will sit in drive until then.
    The way I see it I would be mad in the head to even look in Ireland for a Diesel.

So sonething like this should be an option

Struggling to believe that a 4 year old diesel has less than 40k miles on it, but however...
    If you're looking for space then rule out the 3 series and A4. They're very cramped inside. Passat, A6 and Superb offers much more space, or 5 series if you want to break from the VAG trend you seem to be on. If it were my money I was spending though I'd be looking for an Accord diesel. With a bit of searching a good 05 plate should be easily reachable in your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just a thought outside the box but what about one of these:

http://www.autoquake.com/vehicle/inspid=5497

Mondeo underpining comments aside I think it is good value for money though not as roomie as an A6.

• Advertisement

Accord is nice and would be easy found dont like the look of the estate I wonder how small the boot is.
    Rear leg room in a 3 Series A4 would be workable as I have an s60 and have tried the 3 Series and the young fella saw a good improvement from the Volvo.

I wonder whats wrong with this

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just a thought outside the box but what about one of these:

http://www.autoquake.com/vehicle/inspid=5497

Mondeo underpining comments aside I think it is good value for money though not as roomie as an A6.

The Jag looks the business and the interior to me could be better than anything else mentioned, but I would be afraid of running costs. Like mentioned above the 5 series , there is no car I would rather driver than a new shape 5 series but if I did double my budget and get one I dont think I could justify massive servicing costs and those bloody run flat tyres.
    Whatever I get it will be a non dealer service every time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Jag X type 2.0d has low running costs (Mondeo underneath). VRT is cruel on them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

There's a bit of a circle going on here I think!! The Accord boot will be similar to the A4 boot, so if the A4/Jag/3-series is OK then the Accord will be more than OK. Servicing costs (non-main dealer) on any of them will be similar. 5 series will be no more expensive than A6. If you're coming from an S60 then the A6 is a much better choice than an A4. What about a Mondeo or Mazda 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Mr.David wrote: »
    Are you joking? 8k sterling will get much more than 10k euro.

Yea you could get a 05 avensis (diesel)estate for £5500/6000

OR

http://www.autoquake.com/vehicle/inspid=6133 although its petrol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

A4 is very cramped inside. I had an audi a6 and they're very roomy, big boot and quite cmfortable, having said that a relative has the new jag x type and its stunning. The interior is lovely and its much more roomy than the a4. On personal experience i wouls look at the jag and the a6

Advertisement