Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help to identify a problem on a car

Options
  • 03-10-2008 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I own a Renault Megane Classic 98 with 100k miles

I came back from a 3 weeks holidays and the car wouldn't start.

The mechanic has changed the relays and a c.... sensor (I cannot read the receipt)

Now, at random, the car cuts out while I am driving! I can drive normally for several miles and then for no apparent reason it acts funny: the rev goes from 3000 to 0 and back up to 3000 again giving the impression that the engine cuts out and goes on again after that.

I brought it back to the garage but since I cannot reproduce that problem at will they don't see a problem!

I think it is dangerous and I am a little bit afraid of that problem.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My guess is that it could be the coil pack, a common problem on the Megane afaik. But this is only a guess and to be honest I would be surprised if your mechanic didn't already check this already.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

bazz26 wrote: »
    My guess is that it could be the coil pack, a common problem on the Megane afaik. But this is only a guess and to be honest I would be surprised if your mechanic didn't already check this already.

What is weird is that I have never had this problem until I take the car to the garage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If the car only started giving starting probs after being left idle for 3 weeks I would have suspected a bad battery rather than a sensor. So it's a little surprising that he started changing relays and the
    c.... sensor (I cannot read the receipt)
    which is probably a "Crank position sensor" aka "flywheel sensor" or "TDC".

It really is hard to know. The bad starting and the bad running may be related or not. The mechanic may have done/changed something to fix one problem but cause the other. Or the bad running may be a coincidence and unrelated to either the first problem or the mechanic's actions.

You should try www.renaultforums.co.uk for more info. As your car is a 98 it probably has the 1.6 litre 8 valve engine which is a relatively simple engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Is it just the engine revs - what about lights, etc.?

Had similar problem in a Pug 206 when I came back from 2wks holidays.
    On way down from Dublin the revs would drop - but so would all of the dash, etc. It was like the car was suddenly turned off - then it would start up again..

Like you I couldn't repeat at will - just had to get the mechanic to drive out with the car from cold until it heated up (~10miles) and then he saw the issue.

Turned out to be a cracked earth strap (more like a steel bar!!) - took the garage ages to find it. Only one they'd ever seen they said. Lucky for me the whole thing was covered by warranty, but it took them 2 days to root cause the problem.

Advertisement