Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joe Kinnear Transcript in full

• 03-10-2008 9:39am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Woah.

Kinnear: Which one is Simon Bird?

Bird: Me.

JK: You're a ----.

Bird: Thank you

JK: Which one his Hickman? You are out of order. Absolutely
    out of order. If you do it again, I am telling you you can ---- off and go to another ground. I will not come and stand for that
    ----. No
    way, lies.

----, you're saying I turned up and they
    off.

Bird: No Joe, have you read it, it doesn't actually say that. Have you read it?

JK: I've
    read it, I've read it.

Bird: It doesn't say that. Have you read it?

JK: You are trying to
    undermine my position already.

Bird: Have you read it, it doesn't say that. I knew you knew they were having a day off.

JK: ---- off. ---- off. It's your last
    chance.

Bird: You read the copy? It doesn't say that you didn't know.

JK: What about the headline, you think that's a good headline?

Bird: I didn't write the headline, you read the copy.

JK: You are negative
    , the pair of you.

Bird: So if I get a new job next week would I take the first day off? No I wouldn't. If I get a new job should I call my boss and telling I am taking the first day off?

JK: It is none of your
    business. What the --- are you going to do? You ain’t got the balls to be a
    manager.
    day off. Do I want your opinion? Do I have to listen to you?

Bird: No, you can listen to who you want.

JK: I had a 24-hour meeting with the entire staff.

Bird: Joe you are only here six weeks, you could have done that on Sunday, or Saturday night.

JK: No, no, no. I didn't want to do it. I had some other things to do.

Bird: What? More important things?

JK: What are you? My personal secretary? ---- off.

Bird: You could have done the meeting Saturday night or Sunday? You could have had them watching videos, you could have organised them?

JK: I was meeting the
    chairman the owner, everyone else. Talking about things.

Bird: It is a valid point that was made in there. A valid point.

JK: I can't trust any of you.

Hickman: Joe no one could believe that on your first day at your new club, the first team players were not in. No one could believe it in town. Your first day in the office.

JK: My first day was with the coaches. I made the decision that I wanted to get as much information out of them.

Hick: But why Monday, no one could believe it?

JK: I'm not going to tell you anything. I don't understand where you are coming from. You delighted that Newcastle are getting beat and are in the state they are? Delighted are you?

Hick: Certainly not. No one wants to see them get beaten, why would we?

JK: I have done it before. It is going to my
    lawyers. So are about three others. If they can find something in it that is a court case it is going to court. I am not
    about. I don't talk to
    anybody. Everything I
    say or do. It is raking up stories. You are
    so
    slimy: you are raking up players that I got rid of; players that I had fallen out with. You are not asking Robbie Earle, because he is sensible. You are not asking Warren Barton? No. Because he is
    sensible. Anyone who had played for me for ten years at any level you will find some ---- that .....

Journo: How long is your contract for Joe?

JK: None of your business

Bird: Well it is actually, because we cover the club. The club say you are here to the end of October, then you say 6-8 games which would take it to the end of November. We are trying to clarify these issues. We are getting no straight answers from anyone. How long are you here for? It is a dead simple question. And you don't know....

JK: I was told the length of contract. Then I was told that possibly the club could be sold in that time. That is as far as I know. That's it finished. I don't know anything else. But I have been ridiculed. He's trying to
    hide, he's trying to do this or that.

Bird: What happened at your meeting with Ashley?

JK: At the meeting I was asked how did it go, what reception, this that and the other. I told him not too clever. He wanted to know how the team done. I told him. Better second half than we were first half. I asked him what is the situation. Any news or updates on what is going one. He said I have six to eight consortium lined up and that is all I can tell you. That was it.

Have you met Mike before?

No

Not even at the Orange Tree pub Totteridge?

You want to get your facts right. Dennis Wise never played under me.

None of us have even written that...

JK: Another one of you wrote. We met in a pub. We are friends in a pub and that is when it was done, in a pub. Good imagination eh? It is nonsense.

Will I get time and get judged on results?

Brenner: We are all grown men and can come in here and sit around and talk about football, but coming in here and calling people ----s?

JK: Why? Because I am annoyed. I am not accepting that. If it is libelous, it is going to where I want it to go.

Press office: What has been said in here is off the record and doesn't go outside.

Journalist: Well, is that what Joe thinks?

JK: Write what you like. Makes no difference to me. Don't effect me I assure you. It'll be the last time I see you anyway. Won't effect me. See how we go at Everton and Chrissy can do it, someone else can do it. Don't trust any of you’s.

I will pick two local papers and speak to them and the rest can ---- off. I ain't coming up here to have the piss taken out of me. I have a million pages of ---- that has been written about me.

I am ridiculed for no reason. I am defenseless. I can't say nothing. I can't do nothing. Then half of you are trying to get into the players... and I am not going to tell you what the players think of you all. So you will think I have a split camp. It just doesn't stop.

Journalist: But it's only been a week!

I'm ridiculed for no reason. I'm defenceless. I can't get a point in, I can't say nothing, I can't do nothing, but I ain't going to be negative. Then, half of you, most of you are trying to get into the players. I'm not going to tell you what the players think of you, so then you try and get into them in some way or another, so I've got a split camp or something like that, something like that. It's ongoing. It just doesn't stop.

Journalist: It's only been a week.

Exactly. It feels more like a year.

Journalist: It's early days for you to be like this.

No, I'm clearing the air. And this is the last time I'm going to speak to you. You want to know why, I'm telling you. This is the last time. You can do what you like.

Journalist: But this isn't going to do you or us any good.

I'll speak to the supporters. I'm going to tell them what the story is. I'm going to tell them. I don't think they'll interpret it any different, I don't think they'll mix it up, I don't think they'll miss out things. I mean, one of them last week said to me - I was talking about in that press conference where you were there, I said something like ‘well that's a load of
    '.

Journalist: '
    to that' is what you said.

to that.’ And what goes after that?

Journalist: That was it.

No, it wasn't, no it wasn't. What was after it? I don't know if it was your paper, but what went after it?

Journalist: I don't know.

It even had the cheek to say ‘
    to Newcastle'

Journalist: I didn't write that.

That was my first
    day. What does that tell you? What does that tell you?

Journalist: Where was that? Which paper said that?

I've got it. I can't remember. It was one of the Sundays, not a Saturday. It was a Sunday.

Journalist: But you didn't say that to the Sundays, you said that to us. That was during the Monday press conference.

I've got it, I've got it. I'll bring it in and show it to you. Why would I want to say that? And why would you want to put something like that behind it?

Journalist: Are you saying that someone has reported you saying ‘
    to Newcastle?'

Yes. Lovely.

Journalist: I don't know who's reported that.

I'll tell you what, I'll bring it in.

Journalist: That's obviously going to damage you. That's not a good thing. but I don't think someone's done that. We have to have some sort of relationship with you.

So have I? But I haven't come in here for you lot to take the piss out of me. And if I'm not flavour of the month for you, it don't f---ing bother me. I've got a job to do. And I'm going to do it to the best of my ability and get on with it. I'm not going to spend any more time listening to any ---- or reading any ----. Ok? I know you've got a job to do. Stick to the truth and the facts. That's all you've got to do. Stick to the truth and, I'm saying, the facts. And don't twist anything. That's all I'm asking you. But that's impossible in journalism. Because I've been...

Journalist: You know, you know the game.

Of course I know, but I don't have to like it.

Journalist: Today we'll print the absolute truth, that you think we're
    , we can all ---- off and we're slimy. Is that fair enough?

Do it. Fine.
    print it. Am I going to worry about it? Put in also that it'll be the last time I see you. Put that in as well. Good. Do it.

Journalist: Ferguson said it the other day to the Man U lot. But down in London some of your best friends were journalists.

Like who?

Journalist:
    . They were big mates of yours weren't they?

I don't know
    . I know a
    . But they were honest. They were honest. They didn't twist anything I had to say. That's why they were my friends. I'm as straight as they come, but I will stand up and fight for myself in any corner. You're not going to
    me off or frighten me in any manner. Whatever you do, or whatever headlines you run,you're not going to embarrass me. I'm not going to stand for it. I've come up here for a simple chance to
    prove myself. Just wait, wait and make a decision after whatever period of time you want to. That's fine. Until then, get off my back and let me get on with my job. That all I ask. Just do that. That's all I ask of you.
    hell. Was it last week, who wrote the headline ‘It's gone from bad to worse, it's Morecambe and Wise'. That's one
    headline. I've got that as well. I don't know which one of you has done that. ‘It's a circus now', that's another
    headline. ‘The circus leader's come to town', another headline. That's journalists. Are you happy with that?

Journalist: The people who write the headlines are based in London. We don't write them.

Am I supposed to be delighted with it?

Journalist: "Newcastle has been called a circus long before you arrived.

Yeah, I'm the ringmaster of the circus.

Journalist: It's the situation. It's not just you. The club's up for sale. It's the whole situation of the past three months, all the Keegan stuff, whatever, that you've come into. But you're not the spearhead of everything. It's not a case of 'you've come in so now we're going to slaughter you'. That's not how it works.

For two days I don't think I saw a decent report. There might be one today. For the first two days, I haven't seen one. Not one. A pile like that (gestures). Some of you are either feeding some dummy to say even more, to put the boot in even more. So it's like that.

Journalist: But you've hardly come in to a club where it's stable anyway, there are so many other problems going on, everyone…

But why do you want stories on the negative side?

Journalist: (Unintelligible).

The only way to get the positives is to get a result.

Journalist: Seriously, with the best will in the world, when you got the job, the club released a statement, and in your first interviews you contradicted that statement by saying you'd got the job for a longer period of time, you admitted you got the job because everybody else had said no.

Well I can't tell a lie about that, that's a fact.

Journalist: You said that Alan Shearer and Kevin Keegan were parked around the corner to get the manager's job after you.

Hold on, hold on. I said that was relayed to me. But you didn't put that in though. You missed that bit out. You did, I saw it as well. You wrote it “I'm not saying it was you” in such a way that you didn't put in half the things that I said. You twisted it each time. I've been in the game long enough to know that.

Journalist: can I finish my point?

Yes, well I'm telling you your answer.

Journalist: We have to reflect and report on and try and find out what's going on at this football club. In your first public statements you contradicted things and said things.

Tell me what I contradicted.

Journalist: The length of the contract, who was coming in next ...

Do you want to see it? So you're calling me a liar then?

Journlist: No, I'm saying that it was a contradiction of the club's statement, which we've already established.

I didn't know that. I didn't know there was a statement, why didn't you tell me you had a statement?

Journalist: I think we did say that.

I told you exactly what the truth was. What it says on my contract.

Journalist: Yes but it was contradictory to what the club said.

Ok, I take your point.

Journalist: You also made several other points that we had to find the truth out of. KK and Alan Shearer. Now if we approach those people and they say 'no, we've never heard of it', it doesn't help the feeling around the club.

Well where have you been then? Where have you been before I come, what were the headlines then? Where were you? Another planet.

Journalist: It was chaotic before you got there.

No. The write up. What was the write up.

Journalist: Sorry, I don't know what you're asking me.

The write up was the consortium from Nigeria or wherever it might be, the agent spoke quite clearly that he had spoken to Mr Ashley and we've decided on such a such fee and yes, hold on, let me finish, you might have wrote it, it's true to say that I'm in talks with KK and AS. Right, ok. So that's written.

Journalist: That doesn't mean it's true.

Really? You asked me what the consortium said. And I said exactly what was said in that paper. And I'm saying exactly what was told to me. I've got no reason to say it and you tried to change it, whoever it is, one or two of you, that you thought I was hiding behind it. Yes you did, yes you did.

Journalist: There's a difference between a consortium coming in and saying we want KK and we've spoken to KK and you reporting what Mike Ashley is telling you, that KK and AS are parked round the corner.

No. Mike Ashley told me that he had got that from the consortium. So you're not getting your facts write. So when I said the consortium told MA who told me, that was discreetly missed, it was missed and so you go onto the negative stuff.

Journalist: The point I'm trying to make is that this was your first day in the job and it's created more chaos and unrest and we've reflected that. It's not about you as a manager. I don't think of us have called into question your ability as a manager or what you bring..

What are you talking about? I've been crucified. Absolutely crucified in every single newspaper.

Journalists: No, that's not true.

Absolutely. Morecome and Wise headlines!

Journalist: You said yourself you got offered the job because everyone else had turned it down.

What's that got to do with Morecome and Wise?

Journalist: I don't know, I didn't write that headline. You said that fans would be disappointed you got the job.

Yes.

Journalist: right, ok, we've reflected that. No one has criticised your qualities as a manager. We've not seen them, we've not seen the evidence on the pitch.

What other way did I get the job then?

Journalist: Sorry?

What other way did I get the job then?

Journalist: Because of your track record?

No I got the job because I was honest. Half a dozed managers turned it down. Ask them what reasons they turned it down. Why did they turn it down?

Journalist: I don't know.

Well they you are then. Do your
    homework and ask them.

Journalist: But that's the reason why it's farcical. Not just you, it's the whole situation. Nothing specific about you. The farce is that it's a club up for sale with no manager, six people are turning down interim jobs, it's not you.

Dennis and Mike can't even come to the ground, it's the whole situation, the squad's threadbare. This all predates your arrival. But your arrival didn't help the situation in the short-term, that's what I was trying to say.

It's not 100 per cent personal with you, no way. Even Chris a few days before had admitted he'd had no contact with the people upstairs. It's the whole lot that's a farce, that's the thing. If you look at the papers before your arrival, they're exactly the same, that this club had become a laughing stock.

The fans are saying it, go on the message boards. They're saying even worse than us. We're just reflecting the whole situation, it's not just Joe Kinnear. Then you're banned for the first two matches. Not your fault, but it doesn't help the mood around the club. Is your decision not to speak to us final?

I think so, yeah. I don't see any future in it, anyway. Whatever happens, the only way I'm going to win anything is by getting results. And it's still going to be negative, negative, negative. I'm reading one negative story after another after another. Half of the stuff is ----, I don't know where you're getting your information from or who's feeding you the stuff. Anything I tell you, you can write. You can write what I've said today. Go on, bang away. I've said it and done it. I don't have to hide anything.

Journalist: I don't think it's in your interests and it's certainly not in our interests "I'm being selfish" not to speak to us. I don't think that's a good decision. Obviously you're very angry and perhaps with some justification in certain circumstances, but I don't know if that's a good decision on your behalf in the long run.

Well that's your point of view.

Press officer: Let's get on to football. Let's have an agreement that everything said so far, if anyone has got their tapes on, it's wiped off and we' re not discussing it.

Journalist: But that's what Joe has said he thinks of us.

Press officer: I'm saying don't push it. Let's accept what's been said on both sides and try and move on.

Journalist: Move on to not doing any more press conferences?

Press officer: No, to doing something now.

Journalist: What, one press conference only?

(Silence)

Journalist: Any knocks?

Press officer: Come on, let's go football.

Journalist: What are your plans for training in the next three days? How's the training going?

It's going very well. No problems at all.

Journalist: Do you feel as though they've accepted you?

Yeah, I think so.

Journalist: Enjoyed getting back in the swing of things?

Absolutely. I've loved every moment of it. What can I say? I don't need any more burdens than what's happening at the moment. The only thing I want to be doing is to be left alone to work with the players, try and get a vocal voice and feedback from the players. I've sat them all done and had one on ones with Michael, Nicky Butt, Shay Givens, I mean Given, you'll pick up on that again. And it's been good. I've enjoyed it. It's difficult asking players to play out of position and getting some shape in the team.

F-words: 36, C-words: 4, B-words: 6. Total: 46

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He's a very clever man is Joe. In the space of one press conference he's gone from a hate figure among the Newcastle fans, a part of the regime they want out of their club, to a lone maverick standing up on his own against a media that Newcastle fans believe are 'out to get them'. Just browsing some forums and they're all willing to give him a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Here's a link to the audio, its bleeped out.

linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

This on youtube anywhere?

Not reading transcripts or poxy edit clips, want the real deal :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I just can't stop laughing at the fact that they installed a caretaker manager for a week, then replaced him with an interim manager for 4 weeks and he's banned for the first two... and they're trying to sell the club at a profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

shane86 wrote: »
    This on youtube anywhere?

Not reading transcripts or poxy edit clips, want the real deal :)

the full audio (bleeped though) is on the Mirror page linked above.

Legend. fair play to him. Given the amount of sh1te he's got and considering he hasn';t even taken charge of a game yet, I'd have told them the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

red-top journalists are scum

Des wrote: »
    red-top journalists are scum

+ 1. Big respect for Joe for that. I've always liked Joe anyway. Did anyone else sense the fear behind the words in the journos when they realised he may not talk to them hence they'd be screwed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Every manager must fancy giving the Herberts both barrels at some point, Joe has done it for them all :)

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

heh, well done Joe. it doesn't come across quite as well in the transcripts, but when you listen to it it becomes obvious the journos were a bunch of arrogant pr*cks.

i'm hoping he does well now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

To be honest, it sounds like he's losing the plot already. The fact he's in charge of that club is unbelievable. Do you seriously think that the players are gonna respect him any more after that. They're just going to be rolling their eyes and trying to find the way out of the cirus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

LOL thats class fair play Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

monkey9 wrote: »
    To be honest, it sounds like he's losing the plot already. The fact he's in charge of that club is unbelievable. Do you seriously think that the players are gonna respect him any more after that. They're just going to be rolling their eyes and trying to find the way out of the cirus!

Joe knows he won't be there at Christmas and this is his last chance to tell the redtops what he was always wanted to tell them.

Fair play at one level for getting it off his chest and the toon fans will get a kick out of it, but it does add to the circus image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

best opening to a press conference ever:

JK - "Which one is Simon Bird"
    SB - "Me"
    JK - "You're a cúnt"

Bravo Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

Slime ... probing interfering slime ... so Joe how long is your contract, ive clarified before i came in .... what condesending sh!te!

Well done Joe, someone needed to tell them!, so much for them listening to the PO though ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I'm scratching my head here. Usually, most on here seem all too happy to stick the knife into Newcastle when we fcuk up, but not on this occasion? I say this as a Newcastle fan, I am annoyed at Joe, and this tirade doesn't fill me with confidence.

I posted on another messgae board, before this transcript came out, that Joe seemed to be spending alot of his time moaning, and giving out about the press, spilling the beans on who might be buying the club, and that Keegan might be coming back. Just get on with the job FFS!

Take Keegan, when he came back, alot of the press slaughtered him. There were stories ran where they were analysing the bags under his eyes, and giving him all sorts of sh/t. Stories headlined 'The Madness of King Kev'. What did he do? He stayed positive, concentrated on the job, and just got on with things.

Any of the stories that have been ran in the last week, are much tamer than what Keegan had to put up with (and have by an large focused on the club, and not Joe himself), and I just feel that Joe is showing his ring rust. Joe should know that, with everything that has gone on with the club in the last month, and the fact that his appointment is puzzling to most, there was bound to be a few digs from the press. He should know that, and he should know that it comes with the territory. That's why he is being paid something like £60,000 a week at the moment, whereas for the last 4 years, he has been earning sweet FA.

What annoys me most about this, is that Joe was appointed to settle things down, get NUFC back in the papers for footballing reasons, and put some order of stability in the club whilst a prospective buyer is found. Joe's actions have now made sure that that is impossible, at least for the next week, and that NUFC is back in the limelight, for all the wrong reasons again.

Despite what I have said, come Sunday, I will be fully behind JFK, and I will be giving him the benefit of the doubt irrespective of the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

loyatemu wrote: »
    best opening to a press conference ever:

JK - "Which one is Simon Bird"
    SB - "Me"
    JK - "You're a cúnt"

Bravo Joe!

absolutely, about time someone put them sleazballs on their toes and said something directly too them. its all too easy for them to snigger and mock people from their columns. "we have the right to know x,y,z" you dont have right for feck all, so fair play to joe for giving them some abuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Joe was Drunk.

• Advertisement

I listened to the uncensored version and that is one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time... Sorry Charlie.

When that cheeky reporter starts to giggle after Joe calls your man a cunt at the very start it's so funny because he knows this is going to be epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

"Then, half of you, most of you are trying to get into the players."

My favourite bit! :pac:

Joe Kinnear......a real RocknRolla!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Totally unacceptable and unprofessional, I'd say the PO nearly had heart attack.

There are ways to run a club from a media pov, and that was a disgrace.

Kinnear came across as a fool, not even knowing what he was ranting about.

Nah Joe just said what he thought, most managers can't won't because the club would frown on it but when your only in a job for few weeks whats the worst they can do.

We all know the media twist things and make sh1t up so fair play to Joe for telling them what he thought of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Absolute legend. Hopefully some of the players have got similar treatment from Joe also.

Villain wrote: »
    Nah Joe just said what he thought, most managers can't won't because the club would frown on it but when your only in a job for few weeks whats the worst they can do.

We all know the media twist things and make sh1t up so fair play to Joe for telling them what he thought of them.

I dunno, If I was out of work for 4 years, and landed a golden ticket like this - I'd be getting the PR training in and keeping things nice and friendly instead of sounding like some bumbling fool, and calling everyone cunts at an open Press Conf

zAbbo wrote: »
    I dunno, If I was out of work for 4 years, and landed a golden ticket like this - I'd be getting the PR training in and keeping things nice and friendly instead of sounding like some bumbling fool, and calling everyone cunts at an open Press Conf

Golden ticket? Poison Chalice me thinks!

zabbo wrote:
    I dunno, If I was out of work for 4 years, and landed a golden ticket like this - I'd be getting the PR training in and keeping things nice and friendly instead of sounding like some bumbling fool, and calling everyone ***** at an open Press Conf

Or maybe he knows he isn't going to get another job and has always wanted a chance to tell the media what he thought of them so here Mike Ashley pays him a nice few quid for managing for a few weeks and he gets to tell the media what he thinks about all the crap they wrote about him when he was in charge at the dons and Notts Forest

Boggles wrote: »
    Golden ticket? Poison Chalice me thinks!
    Golden Ticket,
    • high profile position
    • huge media interest
    • If they do well - he gets credit
    • If they don't - well they were fcuked anyway

If you gave me 6-8 weeks as manager at Newcastle, I'd open enough contacts to guarantee work for the next year, what with the media possibilities, and the chance to get a new club.

It's evident that Joe is a dinosaur in how he interacts with the 'media game' - why on earth is he spilling all the news about potential owners and keegan

• Advertisement

Golden Ticket,
    • high profile position
    • huge media interest
    • If they do well - he gets credit
    • If they don't - well they were fcuked anyway

If you gave me 6-8 weeks as manager at Newcastle, I'd open enough contacts to guarantee work for the next year, what with the media possibilities, and the chance to get a new club.

It's evident that Joe is a dinosaur in how he interacts with the 'media game' - why on earth is he spilling all the news about potential owners and keegan

How many managers turned the job down?, reports were it was as high as 17.

Did you ever consider the fact that Joe might be doing Newcastle a favour?

Or maybe he knows he isn't going to get another job and has always wanted a chance to tell the media what he thought of them so here Mike Ashley pays him a nice few quid for managing for a few weeks and he gets to tell the media what he thinks about all the crap they wrote about him when he was in charge at the dons and Notts Forest

If that's the case, Joe shouldn't be using our club as a vehicle to seek revenge against the media. He is being paid very good money to do a job he really shouldn't have gotten in the first place. He should therefore do what he is being paid to do, and put his personal grudges to one side, something he can take up hen he is back working on his own time.

Look, as a Newcastle fan, I have some serious beef with alot of the southern rags (Alot of my posts of the last 6 months will have reflected this). But, there is a time and place for that to be addressed, and JFK going off on one, does us absolutely no favours as we try and get things back on track, keep the club off the front pages, and just try and get on with the job that has to be done. Joe hasn't gotten 'one up' on them, but has been baited into feeding the trolls, and looking the worse for it.

If that's the case, Joe shouldn't be using our club as a vehicle to seek revenge against the media. He is being paid very good money to do a job he really shouldn't have gotten in the first place. He should therefore do what he is being paid to do, and put his personal grudges to one side, something he can take up hen he is back working on his own time.

Look, as a Newcastle fan, I have some serious beef with alot of the southern rags (Alot of my posts of the last 6 months will have reflected this). But, there is a time and place for that to be addressed, and JFK going off on one, does us absolutely no favours as we try and get things back on track, keep the club off the front pages, and just try and get on with the job that has to be done. Joe hasn't gotten 'one up' on them, but has been baited into feeding the trolls, and looking the worse for it.

As a newcastle fan you should be glad someone/anyone agreed to be manager as Boggles said a huge number said no, so if part of Joe agreeing to manage the team included him been allowed to slag of the media then so what.

You should be glad Mike Ashley wasn't onto Steve Staunton :eek:

As a newcastle fan you should be glad someone/anyone agreed to be manager as Boggles said a huge number said no, so if part of Joe agreeing to manage the team included him been allowed to slag of the media then so what.

Yeah, I should be getting down on my hands and needs and showing the utmost gratitude??

I more than anyone know how badly my club has been run down, and the perilous position we find ourselves in. However, to suggest that this allows an interim manager, of JFK's standing (or lack thereof) to ride roughshod with the position because he is 'doing us a favour', is nonsensical. If JFK took the job, then he took it with the understanding that he would act professionally, and treat it as any manager would treat their new job, not with a mentality of 'this is my last gig, so I am going to use it as I see fit'.

So Steve Staunton should have got the call :D

So Steve Staunton should have got the call :D

Steve turned it down he was 15th. :D

• Advertisement

How many managers turned the job down?, reports were it was as high as 17.

Did you ever consider the fact that Joe might be doing Newcastle a favour?

The role is a very specific short term deal, of course none of the reputable managers would want to take a role with such uncertainty and constraints, and that's more or less how Joe has got the gig - someone desperate and more importantly : available.

Right now, Joe is doing no-one any favours, certainly not Newcastle.

I didn't think there was any real way Joe could lose on this deal, but he seems off to a terrible start, and he hasn't even been in charge of a game yet

Right now, Joe is doing no-one any favours, certainly not Newcastle.

Joe is nearly 62 and by all accounts already a wealthy man, the way I see it he did his friend Wise a favour. It was either him or the binman by all accounts.

Joe is nearly 62 and by all accounts already a wealthy man, the way I see it he did his friend Wise a favour. It was either him or the binman by all accounts.

If that's the case, why did Joe publicly say that he was surprised to get it, and knows that the only reason he did, was because others turned it down, that he wants to use the gig as a platform to relaunch his carear, because for the last few years, any jobs he went for, he was getting turned down.

This certainly doesn't seem like the language of a man doleing out favours, but of a man grateful for one last chance to resurrect his carear.

that he wants to use the gig as a platform to relaunch his carear

Is he on record as saying that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

• Advertisement

Is he on record as saying that?

It's out there in text somewhere, I just can't be arsed trawling through the web to dig it up. But here is an audio interview after he just got the job, where he says he hopes he can use his spell at Newcastle to get him back into the game, as he can't seem to get an interview at the moment.

Roar wrote: »

I think that actually makes more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'm back!

That whole thing is like a car crash taking place in slow motion, if Kinnear responds like that in a press conference how is he going to deal with the pressure of the next few games managing Newcastle?

People should put their agendas aside re. red tops for one moment and look at the behaviour of the man responsible for attempting to steady the ship at Sid James'.

I'm back!

That whole thing is like a car crash taking place in slow motion, if Kinnear responds like that in a press conference how is he going to deal with the pressure of the next few games managing Newcastle?

People should put their agendas aside re. red tops for one moment and look at the behaviour of the man responsible for attempting to steady the ship at Sid James'.

This is my point reckless. You probably more than anyone has seen my disdain and contempt for the southern media, and their treatment of my club. However, that's a battle foranother day, and one which JFK should not wager for his own personal gain.

His behavior has only brought more unwanted attention to our club, and I would imagine, has left alot of the players wondering who the fcuk is running the place.

On a more positive note, welcome back. How did you like Vancouver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's out there in text somewhere, I just can't be arsed trawling through the web to dig it up. But here is an audio interview after he just got the job, where he says he hopes he can use his spell at Newcastle to get him back into the game, as he can't seem to get an interview at the moment.

He said it on Football Focus as well when they interviewed him. He talked about how he could have other opportunities in the game if he does well with Newcastle and that it's a massive chance for him.

As amusing as I found the outburst I can't see it being helpful to Newcastle at all. The club now more than ever needs stability and some semblance of normality so hearing the interim manager coming out and calling people c*nts isn't going to help the players much in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I'm back!

+1

An absolute shambles imo, I am starting to feel sorry for the fans, Kinnear was a mad choice and he has let himself down big time with his stupid outburst, what must the likes of Michael Owen be thinking, he will be gone come January.

Dunno if it has been posted but the Mirror link is now unedited :)

Too bad there was no video :( Someone mentioned it being off the record, sounds as if it was papers only, no tv :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

bit of a conspiracy theory, but is there any chance that JK was encouraged to take some of the pressure off the club during his few weeks there, make a big deal about himself and take the spotlight off whats going on behind the scenes with a more public show of insanity so that it seems like a bad influence is leaving with his baggage when he's done, leaving it more like a fresh start for the new owners and new manager?

I doubt it tbh, but just a thought...

<edit>
    p.s lol at your sig Shane!

Establishing yourself as a rebel and an outlaw who says **** the rest certainly has been done before. Mourhino proclaimed himself The Special One in his opener. Capello, while not saying much, said alot with his angry I want results look (still dont rate him personally mind)

And Stan put on a face like a kamikaze and proclaimed himself The Gaffer, The Bawse of course :p Which given Nekys recent success may have a similar result for Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

On a more positive note, welcome back. How did you like Vancouver?

Spent most of my time on the road in Washington and Oregon mate, only had two full days in Vancouver then did the Cascade Loop around to Lake Chelan, drove down to Hood River for a few days, then south to Bend as a base for a trip to Crater Lake, back west to Eugene then Newport and Astoria on the northern Oregon coast, before two nights in a casino in Tulalip (near Everett home of Boeing) and straight over the border this morning to fly home.

Tried to get to see the Whitecaps vs Montreal but some dumbass sent me the wrong way when I got off the train and I missed the entire first half before I decided to call it quits and head back into the city.

You'll be delighted to know I watched your lot vs Hull from the comfort of my hotel bed at 7am!

• Advertisement
Advertisement