Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Named and shamed.. Cycle lane rant (with photo)

Options
  • 03-10-2008 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

A picture says a thousend words right?..

Well what does this one say?.

(taken this morning on the NCR).

attachment.php?attachmentid=64269&stc=1&d=1223024707

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'm not a cyclist that's pulling the preverbial. Did you get on to the authorities yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Call the clampers. Have them clamp all of the vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

whilst it is very annoying and make you want to jump off the bike and onto every roof dancing up and down shouting obscenities, its not illegal for the cars to be in that bike lane as the white lines are broken. The double yellow's on the other hand are a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭paddy316i

That's bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

mkdon05 wrote: »
    whilst it is very annoying and make you want to jump off the bike and onto every roof dancing up and down shouting obscenities, its not illegal for the cars to be in that bike lane as the white lines are broken. The double yellow's on the other hand are a different story.

Add illegally parking on a footpath to that too!.

• Advertisement

mkdon05 wrote: »
    It's also illegal to park your car on or across a footpath :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Seen this today passing in my car, I nearly freaked, I dropped my razor into my coffee and accidentally cut off my phone call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I pass this sort of crap every day.

Sticky ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I say hang the bastard. Burn him at the stake and run his family out of the country. No?

Is it that big a crime so as to actually stop and take a photograph, and then take the time to upload the photos here and make a thread?

Maybe it's just me but I'd have used the almost 2m available on the passenger side of the car to cycle past.

Now I don't cycle that often, and never in Dublin, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about here, but it just seems over the top :p

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Some of these would probably do the trick.

corner.jpg-762414.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Sooner or later someones gonna loose a wing mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lumen wrote: »

corner.jpg-762414.jpg

I think bollards like that pose another risk. If you happen to fall at the edge of the road, they aren't going to coushin the blow much for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Mena wrote: »
    I say hang the bastard. Burn him at the stake and run his family out of the country. No?

Is it that big a crime so as to actually stop and take a photograph, and then take the time to upload the photos here and make a thread?

Maybe it's just me but I'd have used the almost 2m available on the passenger side of the car to cycle past.

Now I don't cycle that often, and never in Dublin, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about here, but it just seems over the top :p

I'd be all in support of small private actions, only way to make a difference as a member of society....but I haven't seen a response to the question posed to the OP, did you report it? And if so what was the official response. Turning a public road into a forecourt is something you see in cities and towns all over the country, 'public' does not mean 'free' and some people need reminding of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

That space won't always be available.

Imagine a truck dealership (think about the one on the long mile road) parked half of their trucks on the road, on a standard two-lane carraigeway, every single day, requiring vehicles on that side of the road to cross over the line, possibly into other traffic in order to get around?

Would that be OK, considering that you have a whole other lane to use? OK, the traffic in the other lane poses a slight risk, going the other way and all, but you have a whole 2.5 metres there to overtake.

If it's not OK for cars, why is it OK for bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Raam wrote: »
    I think bollards like that pose another risk. If you happen to fall at the edge of the road, they aren't going to coushin the blow much for you.

Good point. Rubber bollards?

bendy_rubber_2.jpg

but I haven't seen a response to the question posed to the OP, did you report it?

Don't be silly, I reported it to all you guys :p

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Mairt wrote: »
    Don't be silly, I reported it to all you guys :p

Vigilante action it is then :D

seamus wrote: »
    Imagine a truck dealership (think about the one on the long mile road) parked half of their trucks on the road, on a standard two-lane carraigeway, every single day, requiring vehicles on that side of the road to cross over the line, possibly into other traffic in order to get around?

Would that be OK, considering that you have a whole other lane to use? OK, the traffic in the other lane poses a slight risk, going the other way and all, but you have a whole 2.5 metres there to overtake.

If it's not OK for cars, why is it OK for bikes?

That's a different situation, we're talking about the situation in Mairt's post right now.

That's a different situation, we're talking about the situation in Mairt's post right now.
    For bikes, it's identical. It's requiring the bike to move out of its lane, into traffic which is moving at a different velocity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

The situation is that the cars are blocking a lane of traffic on the public road. This is illegal, never mind seriously ignorant and inconsiderate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Thinking myself of getting a roll of special 'window' adhesives made up with a message on them - you know, the ones that are a bitch to wash off.

Message could be simple such as: 'Park legally in future please.' with a bike icon. Or something to shame them: 'I parked on a bike path today.'

Does that count as passive-aggressive? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

bendy_rubber_2.jpg

Not a bad idea. Although what's soft for a car bumper mightn't be so soft for a cyclist's rib cage if flying through the air! -Still better than metal anyway.

72hundred wrote: »
    Not a bad idea. Although what's soft for a car bumper mightn't be so soft for a cyclist's rib cage if flying through the air! -Still better than metal anyway.

Unless they spring upright again and catapult the cyclist into the path of a bus! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

They have those in Sandyford to enforce no parking on double yellow lines (on a clearway) and people still park there - they just moved further out into the road. I've even seen people slam their doors against them, look out, growl at the bollard (presumably for having the cheek to be there) and then walk away.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

corner.jpg-762414.jpg

Nooooooo! The mayor of Madrid has gone mad with these things and put them along every single street. It looks dreadful, never mind the odd whack in the shins you get when you aren't looking where you're going.

seamus wrote: »
    For bikes, it's identical. It's requiring the bike to move out of its lane, into traffic which is moving at a different velocity.

Point is taken however I still think it's over the top ranting here. Not like it will make a blind bit of difference.
    Verb wrote: »
    The situation is that the cars are blocking a lane of traffic on the public road. This is illegal, never mind seriously ignorant and inconsiderate.

Not arguing that at all, not even slightly. It's just that I would have muttered under my breath and continued on my way, instead of actually stopping, taking out my phone, taking a picture, carrying on with my journey, getting into work/home, starting up the PC, connecting the phone, uploading the images, opening a webbrowser etc etc etc.

But then, I guess I've done my fair share of bitching online to so pot kettle etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

This is the cycling forum Mena.
    Now I don't cycle that often, and never in Dublin, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about here

Logical conclusion there, well done. So you don't cycle in Dublin then? Maybe a little concerned for you safety in light of Irish motorists attitude toward cyclists perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

el tonto wrote: »
    Nooooooo! The mayor of Madrid has gone mad with these things and put them along every single street. It looks dreadful, never mind the odd whack in the shins you get when you aren't looking where you're going.

I think ETA and carbombs might have more to do with those bollards than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

This has given me an idea . I'm going to inquire into getting some of those stickers the clampers use "Do not attempt to move".
    But instead get something printed on it for cyclists.

Then whenever some sod parks in a cycle lane ,bang a sticker on his window.:)
    Then they'll know what they've done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement