Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Named and shamed.. Cycle lane rant (with photo)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

As for naming and shaming with pictures, this is a violation of privacy

Violation of privay for someone to post a picture of illegally parked cars that are for sale? Explain that to me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

CDfm wrote: »
    In the UK a driver who splashes a pedestrian from a visable puddle would get prosecuted and have to pay damages to the pedestrian. It makes people think.

What 'UK' is that? Not the one I live in.

When I cycle I make a point of not breaking red lights, but I can see why some others do - because it's often a much safer way of getting away from a junction without cars, trucks and buses trying to cut you down for having the cheek to get in their way. I'm sure if you offered cyclists a bargain whereby they have to obey red lights while cars have to stay out of bike lanes, stay out of advanced stop lines (cycle boxes at junctions), obey the speed limits and yield right of way to cyclists where appropriate, and these rules are actually enforced with appropriate punishments, they'd be happy to accept - I know I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭andrewlownie101

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Violation of privay for someone to post a picture of illegally parked cars that are for sale? Explain that to me :confused:

Are you serious?

The rest of the little lemmings will be coming in with their own pictures of private cars. If I see my car up there the poster will be coming off their moral high ground with a hatchet in the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Are you serious?

The rest of the little lemmings will be coming in with their own pictures of private cars. If I see my car up there the poster will be coming off their moral high ground with a hatchet in the back.

Charming! But of course your car won't be illegally parked anywhere in the near future.

They're not private cars, they're for sale.

• Advertisement

shotamoose wrote: »
    , and these rules are actually enforced with appropriate punishments, they'd be happy to accept - I know I would.

Now lets think about that statement.

You are demendind laws for cyclists, since government are in the business of making laws, so as to justify their position, I doubt this will be a problem. Carrying this along;

How long before a tax disc and licence are required for cycling ?????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

"Name and shame" headline draws a very bad crowd;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

studiorat wrote: »
    Cyclist crusade this mornin' CD? :D You should have a read of Richard's Bicycle Book!

Yeah! I'll hop up on the pavement now and again, only if it's safe to do so and only at walking speed. A garda will either ignore you or a raised eyebrow will tell you to get off and walk. ;)

Am not reading any more books:D

Really - if Richard wrote a cycling book them IM agin it.

Well good on ya - did ya swear on the bible?

But enforcement only works if its applied evenly.The rules need to be updated.

Heinrich wrote: »
    Charming! But of course your car won't be illegally parked anywhere in the near future.

Thats no concern of yours, my friend.

It could very much be a concern of ours depending on where and how you park.

• Advertisement

It is and I'm not afraid of morons with hatchets.:P

Now lets think about that statement.

You are demendind laws for cyclists, since government are in the business of making laws, so as to justify their position, I doubt this will be a problem. Carrying this along;

How long before a tax disc and licence are required for cycling ?????????????????
    All cyclists should have an ID Card and permit.

THey are a danger so shouild be licenced.

It could very much be a concern of ours depending on where and how you park.

Who is this collective you speak of???

We of the NWO.

We of the NWO.

Is that the best you can come up with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

studiorat wrote: »
    I wish you were my Da;)

I could be, hows YORE MA these days?.

(in almost 5k posts thats the first time I've used that)

Is that the best you can come up with?

Yep
    nwo1enss2.jpg

Got better ideas? I'm not feeling particularly creative.

We of the NWO.
    Is that some kind of subversive organisation or creatures from another planet

Yep
    nwo1enss2.jpg

Got better ideas? I'm not feeling particularly creative.

plumb204.jpg

Try never. The only reason to do that would be to force cyclists off the road. Which, let's be honest here, I'm sure you'd love.

• Advertisement

What 'UK' is that? Not the one I live in.

When I cycle I make a point of not breaking red lights, but I can see why some others do - because it's often a much safer way of getting away from a junction without cars, trucks and buses trying to cut you down for having the cheek to get in their way. I'm sure if you offered cyclists a bargain whereby they have to obey red lights while cars have to stay out of bike lanes, stay out of advanced stop lines (cycle boxes at junctions), obey the speed limits and yield right of way to cyclists where appropriate, and these rules are actually enforced with appropriate punishments, they'd be happy to accept - I know I would.

I got compensation for a suit when I lived there in 94

Id be all for that kind of joined up thinking you are coming up with.

But just look at Ranelagh - Luas and cycle lanes -what wonderful planinng wher are the extra car spaces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Raskolnikov doesn't like cyclists stealthily passing under his bridge.

Try never. The only reason to do that would be to force cyclists off the road. Which, let's be honest here, I'm sure you'd love.

Thats the thing, I am a cyclist myself.

However, I am not a little Hitler. Try looking at things from anothers point of view.

Rules, most of you lot would welcome rules and regulations on the tying of ones shoelaces. "little Tommy could trip if such rules were not inforced, he would then be out of action, a burden on society." I suppose we could just off him, you know like we do with the old people. (Euthanasia I believe it is known as).

I have to laugh, there are rumblings about moving the retirement age to 70, and yet if one delves a little deeper the average male dies at 73. Not much time for fishing, eh???

Sounds like you've got a variety of issues to work through there, good luck with that.

Thats the thing, I am a cyclist myself.

However, I am not a little Hitler. Try looking at things from anothers point of view.

I have to laugh, there are rumblings about moving the retirement age to 70, and yet if one delves a little deeper the average male dies at 73. Not much time for fishing, eh???

Women live to 78 and retire at 60.

There would be no problems if women were banned from driving -the roads would be less congested and we would all be happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Mairt wrote: »
    A picture says a thousend words right?..

Well what does this one say?.

(taken this morning on the NCR).

attachment.php?attachmentid=64269&stc=1&d=1223024707

What's the point of this thread? From what I've read you did not bother raising the issue with the garage or raising it with the Gardaí.

I just don't get why people bother posting these kinds of threads. As somebody on similar thread said it seems to be all about raising awareness - the process of making other people aware of problems, and then magically someone else like the government will fix it.

Or were you just having a whine?

All the posts that said go to the authorities - grow a pair and raise it with the garage first. Only if that does not work the Gardaí. The Gardaí have better things to do than fighting your fights.

The Gardaí have better things to do than fighting your fights.

You got that right, they have speeding ticket targets to meet.

You got that right, they have speeding ticket targets to meet.
    they dont -they are Gauardians Of the Peace -its their job

they shouldnt even think -they should act

Its a political decision what the law is -its theres to enforce.

IN our culture we dont obey the little things but if we did automatically we we have respect for the laws as a whole

I dont like cyclists but Im with them on this

CDfm wrote: »
    they dont -they are Gauardians Of the Peace -its their job

Riot-Police-Rangers-Fans-UEFA-Cup-final_872484.jpg

• Advertisement

Riot-Police-Rangers-Fans-UEFA-Cup-final_872484.jpg

AN ATTACK OF THE BLUEFLU
    :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement