Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keith Fahey to Hertha Berlin?

• 03-10-2008 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

On Newstalk they said a German Club..Hertha Berlin have made an offer to buy Keith Fahey in January.....:D

Now for him personally this would be massive, ok Hertha aren't a huge side, but it would be a very unique move, on the negative side I believe he's a major draw for anyone who actually likes watching football so to leave in that respect would be a downside for the league.

Who knows though maby the german club is Bayern Munich or Hamburg, who feel Fahey could replace the void left by VDV;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

They'll be stung when they find out that he is playing in a league where the "standard is low" and "the players are shit".

How misguided are these Krauts? Can't they look for players in a real league like they have in England?

Seriously though: if true, I'd like to see players like KF stay here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

No surprise really if Hertha were interested after he played well against them.

Didn't Bohs sign that Lithuanian guy after he played well against them??

Think it's safe to assume that he is not being touted as a replacement for VdV however. I think we should stay within the realms of probability here!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Doubt he'll want to go to Berlin tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

why not? I'd understand if Pat's were in the champions league next season but other than that I'd say he'd want the challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

CiaranC wrote: »

you have obviously never been. fantastic town and they would make him a millionaire.

watch the olé olés cream themselves over him if he moves.

• Advertisement

why not? I'd understand if Pat's were in the champions league next season but other than that I'd say he'd want the challenge.

and the money.....

obviously.

And Trapp suddenly notice him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

you have obviously never been. fantastic town and they would make him a millionaire.

A non-CL Bundesliga team? They'd hardly notice.

And yes, a great place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yeah he'd be mad to want to play for Hertha instead of Pats and live in Berlin instead of Dublin.

• Advertisement

maby he likes dublin and is content with life..not everyone is so discontent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

No way will Fahey be at Pat's next season.. The S*n have him linked with Celtic as well as Hertha. What wrecks my head is that he should be in the Irish squad, but instead we have tripe like Liam Miller there ahead of him. But as soon as he moves to another league, he'll be in the squad. Awesome player!

He may well be good enough for International squad. I'm not really sure though. I've only seen highlights of him and the odd live game on telly, but he has looked good. But it's not as if there are many others out there in LOI who should be getting international call-ups.

ibh wrote: »
    He may well be good enough for International squad. I'm not really sure though. I've only seen highlights of him and the odd live game on telly, but he has looked good. But it's not as if there are many others out there in LOI who should be getting international call-ups.

Well, i'm not neccessarily saying that he should be in the team, but definately should be in the squad, as i say, in front of the likes of Liam Miller. It'd be great experience for him, could get some friendly action under his belt.
    People talk about the standard of LOI, but he took the step up to the UEFA Cup and did it seamlessly against Elfsborg and Hertha Berlin!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Well, i'm not neccessarily saying that he should be in the team, but definately should be in the squad, as i say, in front of the likes of Liam Miller. It'd be great experience for him, could get some friendly action under his belt.
    People talk about the standard of LOI, but he took the step up to the UEFA Cup and did it seamlessly against Elfsborg and Hertha Berlin!

Yea he probably is worth a squad call up and Liam Miller is sh'te so i wouldn't disagree with that swapsie. I know he adapted well to the UEFA cup and fair play to all the Pats players for how they played, but there isn't a whole raft of EL players that should be playing at the highest level. Fahey probably is the stand out player in the league. I always gave that title to McCourt before now, but i think Fahey would have overtaken him even if he had stayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

On Newstalk they said a German Club..Hertha Berlin have made an offer to buy Keith Fahey in January.....:D

Now for him personally this would be massive, ok Hertha aren't a huge side, but it would be a very unique move, on the negative side I believe he's a major draw for anyone who actually likes watching football so to leave in that respect would be a downside for the league.

Who knows though maby the german club is Bayern Munich or Hamburg, who feel Fahey could replace the void left by VDV;)

Ive heard that they have been put off by the asking price ~€11million. If Doyle is worth 10M then Fahy is definitely worth more. I do think that he could do a lot better for himself than Hertha though.

if modric is worth 16 million, fahey would be around 5 million I think.

btw arghhhh as i see you 'thanked' pigmans post, a girl in my class last year moved from berlin to dublin because she didn't like it, so don't think that how you see everything is right, ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

a friend of mine is considering moving from dublin to Berlin, meant to be a class city, he certainly loves it....sorry to disappoint El Cucho.

its an amazing place, i loved it. im just saying that its not a given that everyone would prefer berlin over here.

• Advertisement

Gareth37 wrote: »
    Ive heard that they have been put off by the asking price ~€11million. If Doyle is worth 10M then Fahy is definitely worth more. I do think that he could do a lot better for himself than Hertha though.

if modric is worth 16 million, fahey would be around 5 million I think.

You're both taking the p'ss right??? For a start, when the fcuk did Fahey become such a good player that he is worth more than Doyle, who has done extremely well at the highest level and is clearly too good for Championship football.

I don't see any correlation between the price of one of the most talented up and coming midfielders in Europe, who is a regular with a top International side, and a LOI player who's had a cracking season in a relatively weak league and some good performances in UEFA cup.

Sensationalism at it's best.... Any wonder some people on here are bemused (and often amused!) at LOI fans when you come up with valuations based on players who have proved themselves at a higher level..

Holy sh!t!! E11m?? Are you having a laugh? I mean, Fahey is quality an all, but 11m? Ha HA. Good one!

You're both taking the p'ss right??? For a start, when the fcuk did Fahey become such a good player that he is worth more than Doyle, who has done extremely well at the highest level and is clearly too good for Championship football.

He said if Doyle is worth 11m Fahey is worth more , not more than Doyle.

Try reading what was actually written before you launch into a rant.

Gareth37 wrote: »
    He said if Doyle is worth 11m Fahey is worth more , not more than Doyle.

Try reading what was actually written before you launch into a rant.

Looks to me like he was suggesting that the asking price for Fahey was €11m.
    Then he said that if Doyle is worth 10m then Fahey is worth more.

That wasn't a rant either. I was commenting on the overinflated prices that have been mentioned here and in the past re: EL players considering a move abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Fahey won't go for anymore than 2 million.

That's only if he's going to Berlin. Don't think he will to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

its an amazing place, i loved it. im just saying that its not a given that everyone would prefer berlin over here.

But it's not just a straight swap of living arrangements we're talking about here. He'd most likely get as huge wage rise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Doyle, who has done extremely well at the highest level and is clearly too good for Championship football.

I would say maybe at a push a mid table premiership team, if Reading get promoted this season, let us see how he does back in the premiership, he had one good season in the premiership although in his second season heI know he was possibly played out of poition but for me he has not done it consistently at the highest level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Err, what ? Berlin is my favorite city in the world. Its a great place.

Its pretty much better than Dublin in every way. Endless bars and clubs that stay open all night. Its v.cheap to eat/drink out and has a fantastic public transport system. Cost of living is much much lower than here (bottle of nice whiskey is around 10 euro, pints are 2.50)The only downside is that its really hard to get a job over there.

and do all your mates and family live in Berlin?

i couldnt give a toss if a bar stayed open all night but thats me...i couldn't deal with the cold during the winter over there...dublin is bad enough, let alone sub zero temps.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    Err, what ? Berlin is my favorite city in the world. Its a great place.

Tusky, without getting overtly metaphysical about this: yourself and Keith Fahey are separate entities.

Keith may not factor your views on Berlin into his transfer considerations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

stovelid wrote: »
    Tusky, without getting overtly metaphysical about this: yourself and Keith Fahey are separate entities.

Do you think that young lads from the Iberian penninsula really love the north west of England? Money and the prospect of playing for a top club can ease a lot of your fears about moving to a new city.

It's a job, he can go there for a couple of years (or till the end of his career) and come home, he wont be banished from ever returning to Ireland.

Tusky wrote: »

Its pretty much better than Dublin in every way. Endless bars and clubs that stay open all night. Its v.cheap to eat/drink out and has a fantastic public transport system. Cost of living is much much lower than here (bottle of nice whiskey is around 10 euro, pints are 2.50)The only downside is that its really hard to get a job over there.

Berlin a terrible place for a footballer then...Stay away Keith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Berlin a terrible place for a footballer then...Stay away Keith.

:rolleyes:

Its a beautiful, lively, diverse & most importantly, football mad city. Hows that ?

I would also add that although it has lots of pubs and clubs, it doesnt have the same drinking culture as Ireland. You dont see people falling around the streets at 2a.m trying to get a taxi.

The bundesliga pays better wages, has better teams, better players, bigger stadiums, more fans...etc. It would be a massive step up.

i have been there and i was clearly 'joking'

it would be a great move and much better than moving to the English league(championship or EPL) where he will probably be ****ed out on the wing like what happens to a lot of players like him in England.

anyway if he does move I wonder how good he will end up being? We(Ireland) have currently a lot of good up and coming midfielders so if he wants to push into the squad(which he should be already) and god forbid a starting place he would need to excel because by next year Garvan, Chris McCann and JJ O'Toole should all be in contention. Add to that Jamie McCarthy at Hamilton, if he was to move to Palermo next summer.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I would say maybe at a push a mid table premiership team, if Reading get promoted this season, let us see how he does back in the premiership, he had one good season in the premiership although in his second season heI know he was possibly played out of poition but for me he has not done it consistently at the highest level.

I am not suggesting that he will ever be a top striker in one of the top Premier League teams. But he is of a level that is above the Championship and above a lot of the lesser PL teams.

For me he's worth about £8m at best. He's young and relatively well proven at PL level. My issue was that this has no link to the values on Fahey that were being thrown around on the previous page. ONYD cut the snot off me, telling me i had picked it up wrong but having re-read it i still see a poster stating that if Doyle is worth 10m then Fahey is worth 11. No further comment from ONYD so maybe he decided to read the fcuking posts instead of putting up smart @rse comments.
    anyway if he does move I wonder how good he will end up being? We(Ireland) have currently a lot of good up and coming midfielders so if he wants to push into the squad(which he should be already) and god forbid a starting place he would need to excel because by next year Garvan, Chris McCann and JJ O'Toole should all be in contention. Add to that Jamie McCarthy at Hamilton, if he was to move to Palermo next summer.

I think it really is an area that we will be strong in for the next number of years. Seen Garvan play a few times and i think he is pure quality.
    I think in the next year or 2 Hamilton will push on and become a top midfielder for us and whoever he is with. I don't think he needs to make a move yet anyway.
    I would however love to see a few of our players plying their trade further afield than England and Scotland. It would help them develop their game no end, especially with the apparent change of style in the National team. It's something i would love to see more of. I think a lot of skillful players have their development stunted a little by staying in England. For example, i think if Joe Cole had moved to Italian or Spanish football he would by now be the most skillful England player in the last 25 years. (BTW Gazza still carries that mantle)

• Advertisement

just on the point about scotland have we ever had a proper International who was called up while playing in Scotland for anyone other than Celtic? I doubt it.

about our future midfield, it will at least be a pool of highmid-table players...it will be hard to get a place in the team me thinks.

so off-topic here but if Keith Treacy can live up to the promise, McGeady develops and gets over his bad patch at the moment, we could have a proper good midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

just on the point about scotland have we ever had a proper International who was called up while playing in Scotland for anyone other than Celtic? I doubt it.
    What does this mean? There is only 2 clubs in Scotchland , Ranger and Keltic. To my knowledge no player from this country has made full debut for Rangers in recent time , so that therefore leaves only Keltic as being the only viable club in that particular region.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

LOL at this thread, how can you say he would turn down Hertha Berlin if the chance came along. The mans a footballer and its a step up. Getting to play at big stadiums against decent sides every week, a chance to break into the national side and a chance to better himself as a footballer.

CHD wrote: »
    Getting to play at big stadiums against decent sides every week, a chance to break into the national side and a chance to better himself as a footballer.

KF must really be doing well. Even you're abstaining from your usual know-nothing critiques of the LOI to proffer opinions on our players?

I suppose you know it all dont ya :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Bit late to withdraw my throwaway comment then? I happen to have grown up 50 metres apart from his house.

Wish the lad all the luck in the world, hes an truly excellent footballer, a breath of fresh air, and a decent lad all round.

CHD wrote: »
    I suppose you know it all dont ya :rolleyes:

As far as this thread is concerned, yes.

Isn't there a thread about Ashley Cole's favoured brand of underpants you can browse at this hour?

stovelid wrote: »
    As far as this thread is concerned, yes.

Isn't there a thread about Ashley Cole's favoured brand of underpants you can browse at this hour?
    lol sad little man aren't ya.

Troll somewhere else.

Jog on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Not totally surprising, given how he played against them, and how devoid of ideas and flair they looked in the midfield. Wonder if the interest'd hold firm until then, though? Still, if it was tied up now I suppose.

From a footballing perspective it has to be looked at as a step up, if not a much bigger shop window. Surely his wages'd sky rocket in comparisson, and well, Berlin is feckin' great! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

CHD banned.

Everyone else. On topic posts only.

Advertisement