Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pailn's Irish connection

Options
  • 03-10-2008 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

Seeing as people are always harping on about Obama's Irish connection and seeing as Biden has well known Mayo roots, it's about time Palin's Irish roots where identified

So here is a story from the Irish Times

Apparently her family originated in Roscommon.

This will make no difference to the election, Irish people living in America and Irish Americans, and especially the older ones, will vote for McCain away cos he is white.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Seeing as people are always harping on about Obama's Irish connection and seeing as Biden has well known Mayo roots, it's about time Palin's Irish roots where identified

This will make no difference to the election, Irish people living in America and Irish Americans, and especially the older ones, will vote for McCain away cos he is white.

Shame she has Irish roots, her dim-wittedness can be attributed to us :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭yaynay

Do you have statistics for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,908 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Probably not - its just a nice way to call us all racist. I also know for a fact that it is factually incorrect, as my aunt and her hubby, both from Ireland, have been supporting Obama since the very start of his campaign for president, and will be voting for him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

"In his race to the New World, Mr Sheiran not only escaped the Famine but also stole a five-year lead on the family of Senator Joe Biden, Ms Palin's Democratic opponent, Ms Dunn remarks." Palin wins?;)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

yaynay wrote: »
    Do you have statistics for that?

No, it's just an opinion I have based on a decade of working and living in Irish America, and in a very Democratic leaning state for that matter.

The vast majority of working class Irish and Irish Americans tend not to like blacks and that dislike is greater in older generations, the generation that are more likely to get out and vote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭yaynay

doesn't matter anyway, because if Obama doesn't win voters will be called racist anyway :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

But Biden is considered more Irish than Palin..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Go figure, I would never have guessed :D

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Who cares?? All this remote Irish links is a complete red herring which is a bit begosh, begorrah and bejaysus for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

nhughes100 wrote: »
    Who cares?? All this remote Irish links is a complete red herring which is a bit begosh, begorrah and bejaysus for my liking.

I totally agree, but go tell that to the Irish media

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I personally hate lobby groups, eg the Israeli lobby (and am not too bothered about the Irish one either) but unfortunately, these lobbies do exist and have a fair amount of influence in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

I don't agree with your opinion of the Irish American vote and actually, I've heard the opposite to what you have said. I'm not basing it on this, but I have Irish American friends and family living in the states, they are all supporters of Obama/Biden !

Do people honestly think that in the event of Sarah Palin becoming VP that she will go out of her way to bring jobs to Ireland just because some academic has found a remote link to a county she most likely hasn't even heard of? It's farcical, those idiots in Offaly were completely cringe worthy when they decked out their pub in little USA flags when they found out Obama had a remote link to their town.

I really think it shows that Ireland hasn't grown up at all, even after the Celtic tiger we still have this small little island mentality that is so highly thought of around the world cos we're great crack and we built America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Tauren wrote: »
    Probably not - its just a nice way to call us all racist. I also know for a fact that it is factually incorrect, as my aunt and her hubby, both from Ireland, have been supporting Obama since the very start of his campaign for president, and will be voting for him.

when did they move over? the older generation in my family would be very conservative, but they'd be well into their 70s at this stage, having lived there for near 50 years i'd say. i've always found them to be more representative of the more established Irish in the U.S. though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I really think it shows that Ireland hasn't grown up at all, even after the Celtic tiger we still have this small little island mentality that is so highly thought of around the world cos we're great crack and we built America.

meh... nearly every single Irish family has relatives in the U.S. somewhere. You remember back before the Celtic Tiger there were many sacrifices made, many families torn apart as sons, daughters, brothers and sisters went across. I think many of the older generation in particular will build up the Irish connection as much not to feel forgotten, nor to feel those sacrifices were in vain. it's irrational, but somewhat understandable i feel.

To get back to the original post, it's a well accepted fact that Irish-Americans generally tend to vote Democrat.

To LeninBenjamin - I was referring to the Irish people that are still in Ireland. The Irish-American link is overplayed particularly by on this side of the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No, it's just an opinion I have based on a decade of working and living in Irish America, and in a very Democratic leaning state for that matter.

The vast majority of working class Irish and Irish Americans tend not to like blacks and that dislike is greater in older generations, the generation that are more likely to get out and vote.
    All very true - but you're forgetting, there isn't much blackness to Obama.

I mean, is it even really clear who the black candidate is at this point?

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=186777&title=the-black-candidate

;)

Advertisement