Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which angle grinder for cutting tiles?

Options
  • 03-10-2008 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm a bit lost in the angle grinder world. I'm looking to buy one for a bathroom tiling job and if all goes well then use the same for tiling the ensuite. My tiles are ceramic if that makes a difference.

I had a look at the small handheld ones in B&Q and woodies and honestly they all look the same to me. I don't want to end up buying a tool that I'll just have to replace in the middle of the job, or that will be unsuitable. I have a lot of tiles to cut and want to get a decent tool for the job.

Is there any particular brand or model that anyone can recommend?

My other problem is getting the cutting wheels for those. The angle grinders I was looking at were 115mm diameter, and these stores didn't have a single diamond cutting wheel of that size. Where do I get the cutting wheels?

Or should I get a larger angle grinder?

And my last question, where's a good place to buy these? I have a feeling that the DIY stores ain't it. There certainly doesn't seem to be anyone in B&Q or Woodies who knows anything about the tools or the cutting wheels. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

A 115 mm grinder with a stone cutting wheel will cut tiles easily, but they're not the easiest things to handle if you've no experience of them -- they're a bit vigorous! As an alternative, have you considered a tile cutting tool -- rather like an office paper cutter with a blade that runs along a guide on a bed plate, and with a handle that breaks the tile at the cut. For cutting tiles to odd shapes, like for instance a notch for a pipe to go through, you can get tile saws. These have a string like blade that is coated with diamond or tungsten and works like a fretsaw.

Having said all that, I personally always use angle grinders, but then I've been using them for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I have a nice tile cutter like the one you described which is grand for making straight cuts. But I have serious problems and tons of scrappage trying to cut shapes into tiles or even getting corners cut into them. I've been using tile clippers (nibblers) and it's a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would look out for a wet cutter they are a lot easier to use than angle grinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

I've used lots of 5" Angle Grinders. IMHO go for the cheapest possible and invest in a diamond tipped stone cutting disk (around 10 = 15 yooyoos). Alternatively, I aslo have a Tile Cutter with a platform like this: http://www.enterprisesales.ie/pcp249x123846.html

I got mine from Argos for about 45 yooyoos. Works a treat..

FBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

netman wrote: »
    I have a nice tile cutter like the one you described which is grand for making straight cuts. But I have serious problems and tons of scrappage trying to cut shapes into tiles or even getting corners cut into them. I've been using tile clippers (nibblers) and it's a nightmare.

Then try the tile saw I described. They work fine and because the blade is round they'll cut in any direction. To me nibblers are a waste of space, but I've had my tile saw for years and haven't changed the blade yet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 snaggles

B&Q do a wetcutter for tiles for around 35 euro which is suitable for bathroom tiles for cutting checks around windows, doors, pies etc it will last u and replacement blades are cheap you would also be better off with a tile 'nippers' insted of the nibblers, hope job goes well for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've tiled most of my house using a cheap wet cut tile saw from Argos (they still have them AFAIK) and a cheap Einhell anglegrinder fitted with an inexpensive 4 1/2" diamond disc. I use the wet saw for most of the cutting and resort to the anglegrinder for the awkard shapes etc. Most of my tiling was porcelain, which can't be cut by any other means anyway. If you have other uses for an angle grinder splash out and spend €100 or so- you'll get a professional quality 4" grinder for that money and it will last a lifetime. I've used my cheapie to cut tiles, chase walls, cut and grind metal etc, but I've recently upgraded to a decent Bosch model.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I picked up a very cheap €13 'ankle grinder' while in France back in 2003.
    Well, it's saved me 100 times its price in the time and hasn't given me any trouble.
    That said, I wouldn't expect that cheaper models you get in Ireland would be up to the quality of this one...

So, go for a mid-low range unit and get as much use out of it in the warranty period!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

10-10-20 wrote: »
    I picked up a very cheap €13 'ankle grinder' while in France back in 2003.
    Well, it's saved me 100 times its price in the time and hasn't given me any trouble.
    That said, I wouldn't expect that cheaper models you get in Ireland would be up to the quality of this one...

So, go for a mid-low range unit and get as much use out of it in the warranty period!

+1

I bought a cheapie angle grinder back in 1995 for £25, in down town tools on capel street. The guy wrote on the receipt "not for professional use".....

Its cut everything i've ever put infront of it... The cable went on it a year ago, i cut 2 inches off it and its as good as new!

Don't get me wrong, if i was using it every day i would spend the money on a decent one, for your average DIYer a cheap one will do fine....

Advertisement