Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

speed limiter

Options
  • 03-10-2008 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

would anyone have any idea how/can a speed limiter be removed from a ford transit mini bus. its set to 62mph and as i drive mainly on motorway its very annoying. cud it be set for 70mph

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I know this doesn't answer your specific question, but aren't busses with a capacity for more than 8 passengers legally limited to 80km/h (50mph), regardless of the higher limit on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I think you have to remove the fuse

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

the speed limiter can be raised its done electronically through the fuel pump module but the person who does it leaves them selves very open like the case in drogheda which ran into millions and had killed a good few young kids and at the end of the day no one is in theat big a hurry in work;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

This thread should be locked. The speed limit is 80 km/h for a minibus on a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,449 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bond-007 wrote: »
    This thread should be locked. The speed limit is 80 km/h for a minibus on a motorway.

Is it a legal requirement for a minibus to have a speed limiter? If so, it should not be tempered with. If not, I can't see anything wrong with OP's request tbh

• Advertisement

Is it a legal requirement for a minibus to have a speed limiter?
    Yes it is.
    SI 299 of 1993
    S.I. No. 299/1993 — Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles) (Amendment) Regulations, 1993.
    3. (1) Subject to the provisions of sub-articles (3) and (4) of this article, this article applies to—

( a ) every goods vehicle having a design gross vehicle weight exceeding 12,000 kilograms, and

( b ) every passenger vehicle having accommodation for more than eight passengers exclusive of the driver, having a design gross vehicle weight excceeding 10,000 kilograms.

(2) A vehicle to which this article applies shall, on or after the 1st day of January, 1994, at all times when used in a public place, be equipped with a speed limitation device, the set speed of which does not exceed—

( a ) in the case of a goods vehicle, 85 kilometres per hour, and

( b ) in the case of a passenger vehicle, 100 kilometres per hour.
    I rest my case M'Lud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Removing the restricter could have possible implications for your insurance also.

And possible implications for your liberty also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

red83 wrote: »
    . its set to 62mph and as i drive mainly on motorway its very annoying. cud it be set for 70mph
    i.e. 100km/h
    No it's 100 see below ;)
    ( b ) every passenger vehicle having accommodation for more than eight passengers exclusive of the driver, having a design gross vehicle weight excceeding 10,000 kilograms.

( b ) in the case of a passenger vehicle, 100 kilometres per hour.

See. :) Either way, Bond-007 is correct, what the OP is asking is illegal...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,449 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yes it is.

Is it? Doesn't show from your link:
    every passenger vehicle having accommodation for more than eight passengers exclusive of the driver, having a design gross vehicle weight excceeding 10,000 kilograms

That's a bus. Not a minibus.

A 9 seater minibus (8 passengers + driver) neither has more than 8 passengers, nor has it a weight of anywhere near 10 tonnes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Mr Burns

While it may not be illegal, we should not be providing guidance on what is ethically wrong and against the spirit of the law. The speed limit for a minibus is 80km/h. I am sure there is some caveat where a limiter is fitted it should not be disabled.

I see from ads for sale, minibuses come with a speed limiter fitted. I wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Page 39 of the HGV doe test manual being enforced as part of the annual DOE/VTN test as and on from 1st October 2008.

TACHOGRAPH / SPEEDOMETER / SPEED LIMITER

Method of Testing

Speed Limiters

For the purpose of the vehicle roadworthiness test scheme a speed limiter is required on the following
    vehicles;

First registered on or after 1st January 1988:

(a) Goods vehicles exceeding a GVW of 12,000 kgs,
    (b) Passenger vehicles exceeding a GVW of 10,000 kgs with passenger accommodation for more than
    8 passengers (not including driver’s seat).
    First registered on or after 1st January 2005;

(a) Goods vehicles exceeding a GVW of 3,500 kgs,
    (b) Passenger vehicles not exceeding a GVW of 10,000 kgs with more than 8 passenger seats* (not
    including driver’s seat).
    * NOTE; on a passenger vehicle in this category where the operation, speed set point or speed limiter
    device cannot be verified e.g. where no tachograph is fitted, this vehicle should not fail the test under
    the speed limiter section.

For vehicles required to be fitted with a speed limiter, check that a plate is fitted in a conspicuous position
    in the driver’s compartment showing the following information:

(a) the words "speed limiter fitted";
    (b) details of the type approval authority and the national or international approval mark;
    (c) the type approval number;
    (d) the name of the authorised sealer and the code number assigned to the authorised sealer by the
    approved body, i.e. NSAI;
    (e) the set speed, expressed in kilometres per hour, to which the speed limitation device has been set;
    (f) the tyre size on the drive axle or axles;
    (g) the date on which the speed limitation device was most recently sealed; (if available) and
    (h) the vehicle registration number or, in the case of an unregistered vehicle, the chassis number.
    Open the tachograph head, plug in the speed limiter check instrument, and, following the instrument
    manufacturer’s instructions, note the speed at which the speed limiter operates and compare it with the
    permitted speed for the vehicle type.
    Check that the tyres fitted to the drive axle(s) are the same size as that stated on the speed limiter plate
    in the driver’s compartment.
    Check where possible the integrity of the seals and that they are marked IR.
    Check any other security arrangement at the electrical and mechanical connections within the speed
    limiter system.

Note

1. Seals may be in the form of lead, plastic, wax or paint.
    2. There will be a small % of vehicles for which the speed limiter check is not suitable. In such cases
    check that the tachograph has not recorded a speed in excess of 90 kilometers per hour in the case of a
    goods vehicle and 105 kilometers per hour in the case of a passenger vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I work for a large well know retailer and know for a fact they set all the limiters on thier trucks (operating out of one section) to 90km/h...

bit dodge...

I work for a large well know retailer and know for a fact they set all the limiters on thier trucks (operating out of one section) to 90km/h...

bit dodge...

Perfectly legal the official setting is 85kmh +/- 5kmh, 90% of trucks are set to the upper limit of this tolerance which is 90 kmh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 BM_318i

If I remember correctly from my theory test the speed limit of a Bus is 80km/h but the limiter should be set to 100km/h.

Tampering with it is illegal, nothing bad may ever come of it but if your in an accident and its checked then prepare for some serious trouble, frankly not worth it.

I could never figure out why trucks limiters are set to 85 and buses set to 100 considering the extra responsibility involved with all those extra passengers on a bus.

A truck could be grossing up to 44 tonnes weight, harder to stop than a bus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

red83 wrote: »
    would anyone have any idea how/can a speed limiter be removed from a ford transit mini bus. its set to 62mph and as i drive mainly on motorway its very annoying. cud it be set for 70mph

I'm not part of the high horse brigade , realy I'm not :)
    But this thread worries me far more than any speeding thread.

Go fiddling with this OP and if you crash with a full minibus it's a probable jail sentance

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think the OP would need to discuss this with their insurance company (in case they are aware of the limiter) and possibly also a solicitor (to get it formally that a limiter is/is not required when carrying up to 8 passengers). If you are caught driving a bus with a speed limiter disabled when it shouldn't be then expect to be severely punished!
    I think this one may be better off locked now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just to add this bit of info, to round the thread off:
    slideways wrote:
    I was just about to post on the thread for peoples information more than anything else.

The speed limiter laws have been changed as of 0ct 1st

From the 1st of october any bus registered after 05 and having a gross of over 3500 has to have a speedlimiter fitted.
    From 1st Jan any bus reg after 01 must have one fitted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement