Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Anti-Testimonial

• 03-10-2008 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭

BBC Sport wrote:
    Etxeberria signs to play for free

Joseba Etxeberria has signed a one-year contract extension with Athletic Bilbao which will see him play the final season of his career for nothing.

The former Spain international agreed the deal with his current contract due to expire at the end of this season.

Etxeberria said he wanted to end his career as an Athletic player, adding: "I wanted to do this gesture but never did I want to set a precedent."

Midfielder Etxeberria, 31, joined the club from Real Sociedad aged 17.

He hopes to reach the landmark of having played 500 games when he retires after a 15-year career at San Mames.

"It's an idea I've had for years," added Etxeberria, who played at the 1998 World Cup and two European Championships for Spain.

Club president Fernando Garcia Macua said: "From the club's standpoint there are not words enough to thank such a gesture."
    Great gesture - reckon it'll ever catch on more widely?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Sebastian Rozenthal offered to do this at Rangers for a season after spending his two year contract on the injury table.

IIRC there were some legal (possibly insurance?) reasons why Rangers couldnt take him up on the offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,044 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Riquelme played for free when he went back to Boca didn't he?

An Italian player a few years back refused to be paid while he was out on a long injury too I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Fair play to him. More players should do it.

I also think testimonials themselves need to be seriously looked at, at least at certain levels of the game, or for players whose career is ended by injury. They're a leftover from a time when players actually needed the money at the end of their careers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Riquelme played for free when he went back to Boca didn't he?

An Italian player a few years back refused to be paid while he was out on a long injury too I think?

I think that was Redondo when he joined Milan and was injured practically all the time he was there.

Then there was the chap from Roma (?) who played for minimum wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm ok with testimonials for Prem players who donate the proceeds to charity, but the players who keep the money for themselves when they have already earnt a packet over their careers annoy me.

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote: »
    I'm ok with testimonials for Prem players who donate the proceeds to charity, but the players who keep the money for themselves when they have already earnt a packet over their careers annoy me.

Or the Celtic one where Larsson was due a pay off when leaving the club so they gave him an "early" testimonial and got the fans to pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Then there was the chap from Roma (?) who played for minimum wage.

Vieri at Atalanta. On a €250k goal bonus, so you can imagine the fun that caused.

Vieri at Atalanta. On a €250k goal bonus, so you can imagine the fun that caused.

I remember the big deal about him playing for minimum wage, but dont remember the goal bonus bit.
    Kinda makes a mockery of it all eh?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Tomassi was the one I was thinking about, and there was no goal bonus involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

No it must be aimed at me :D

Nope they seem to want me too.

Unfortunately my team in Holland would be FC Volendam....

Advertisement