Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest improvements to Athlones one way system?

Options
  • 03-10-2008 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Anyone got any suggestions that might actually made the one way system in Athlone actually work ?

It just seems to be a complete mess and the person that introduced it should be made direct the traffic....

Or maybe someone knows of some of the plans that are planned to improve the situation ?

once suggestion remove the parking place on the bend after the Radisson
    and widen the road from the Radisson to the first roundabout or even the whole way to the roundabout next to B&Q to let the traffic flow to the duel carraigeway easily...

Then we can send the tread to the town council

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

yea, ive a suggestion

Put it back the way it was, its a pain in the ass and serves no apparent purpose only slows traffic more due to cars now parking all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

No point dwelling in the past. Put in some access for the strand residents / high street deliveries and then pedestrianise it from dunnes to heatons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Onikage wrote: »
    No point dwelling in the past. Put in some access for the strand residents / high street deliveries and then pedestrianise it from dunnes to heatons.

hmm. well it would make probably better sence than the way it is now...

Hmm.. our very own grafton street :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

?? I thought the one-way system was on a trial basis. Is it now a done deal?

It is a trial of indefinite duration. Which essentially makes it a permanent change.

• Advertisement

It is a trial of indefinite duration. Which essentially makes it a permanent change.

I bit like the "experimental traffic control" on the N6 at doyles bridge...:rolleyes:
    They only recently removed the signs as they were getting in the way of the construction works for the new Ballinasloe road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Beech Park should be opened up to East West traffic. By taking a few feet from the gardens of the houses at the end a large roundabout could be put in at the White Gates. This should exit out into Sarsfield Square and towards the crescent and towards Glasson. That would help keep traffic away from the crescent.
    Auburn Drive and Auburn Terrace should be closed at the Coosan Road end and accessed from the East.

The Ballymahon Road needs more limks to the East.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Was told over the weekend that they will make a decision either Wednesday or Wednesday week on whether or not the new system will stay in place

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭kenneth2

It's on a trial until next week when a decision will be made either way...
    but on one hand if they implement the one way system they will then be able to spend 6 million on sorting out the town...

so it's unlikely they will revert..
    :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

kenneth2 wrote: »
    It's on a trial until next week when a decision will be made either way...
    but on one hand if they implement the one way system they will then be able to spend 6 million on sorting out the town...

so it's unlikely they will revert..
    :-)

They should put in another 1 way system ... directly parallel to the one the have going on at the monent but going in the opposite direction :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

The cynic in me suspects the real reason for the introduction of this system was an attempt to get more punters into the environs of the new Town Center. And, if it was, its not working..

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

my suggestion would be to put back the pedestrian crossing to the town centre from the side of the road where the public car park is!!!!!
    If there is a problem with the one way system, then yes maybe improvements need to be made, but not at the expense of the pedestrian. I'm looking forward to the improvements being made to church street to make it more pedestrian friendly, when I moved to Athlone I couldn't believe how hard it was to get around the town with a buggy, guess they didn't think of buggies back when the town planning was done ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭malachy47

Beech Park should be opened up to East West traffic. By taking a few feet from the gardens of the houses at the end a large roundabout could be put in at the White Gates. This should exit out into Sarsfield Square and towards the crescent and towards Glasson. That would help keep traffic away from the crescent.
    Auburn Drive and Auburn Terrace should be closed at the Coosan Road end and accessed from the East.

The Ballymahon Road needs more limks to the East.

Beech Park once was a vehicular through way. It was closed off for a reason. The reason is still valid. Through traffic has no business traversing through residential estates. Besides, it's great fun watching the L-drivers tearing up gearboxes :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 alke

It's all inconsequential now! the one way will be scrapped:

http://www.athlonelive.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=922&whichpage=3

Any chance of a "cut-n-paste" please, I'm not a member of that forum.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 alke

I don't see why your not a member! it's free and it's open to view even if your not a member, and it's more relevent, you should see the webcam when it's up and running. icon_smile_wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Ok so now its as if the one way system was never there...

Its kind of sad really the waste of money it caused.

Heres a simple idea...Do the one way - same route etc, but REVERSE IT. That would mean that the whole journey is spent taking left turns. Net result is less need for traffic lights and disrupting traffic on other lane.

But hey, that would be making sense...

I like the logic, trying to think of any town that have actually tried that!

Can't think of any, but then again when has logic had anything to do with town traffic planning.

Driving past town this morning the VMS signs now warn of a "2 way system in operation", well that's the end of that!

Yes its quite typical of Boxer bowing to the likes of Billy Brett and co. **** the whole lot of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

I wonder if they're going to put the pedestrian crossing back on Gleeson street, everytime I drive past there people are desparately trying to cross the road to/from the town centre. It's an accident waiting to happen

They have now installed another set of lights 50 metres down from the original crossing.

Now that the oneway system has gone, they could at least got the signs right! :rolleyes:

68718.JPG
    68719.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Have seen those signs, but never noticed. Idiots.

Strange the Radisson and Sheraton sharing a sign.

Clearly it is an omen of the impending move to driving on the right.

They've been up about three weeks, I took the pictures this morning, in the words of Victor Meldrew "I don't believe it!"

Good thing the Irish ignore traffic signs... ;)

Their gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Not all gone, there is one there across from the Office Centre still.

Advertisement