Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have any of ye done anything to prepare?

• 03-10-2008 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Have any of ye done anything to prepare for the tough times ahead? (This is obviously directed at those who believe there are tough times ahead, if you're in dream land, please stay there and leave no contribution so the rest of us can talk)

Farming skills, security measures, etc.? I was talking to a guy who is doing an organic farming course and is planning to be nearly self-sufficient with a few things.

It's obviously the best idea if you have your own land but anyone have any ideas for those without land but what about those without. A good stock of tin food is a start but it will only last so long.
    What is needed is ways and means of being independent from money.

Sorry, was watching The Wind that Shakes the Barley last night!
    Serious discussion though!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Unless you intend building a fortress you can forget trying to be self sufficient in the NWO. :D

Mad Max 2 would give you a fair idea :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭d0gb0y

I was watching a Louis Theroux documentary last night on Dave channel it was was made in 2004(i think) & it was was about the "right wing militias" in the US.

From the very start of the doc he was pushing for a racist agenda which no doubt he would use to as a way of discrediting what these people where doing. The first person he met was very nice & did not seem right wing at all. He also gave a very compelling reason why he was doing it. The IRS came after him & emptied his bank account then they went after his daughters bank account & took the full $12 out of it.

After this the documentary went down hill as Louis was after racists which he found of course. I found this disappointing as he should have focused on the reasons why this large group of people where doing this instead of looking for some of there racist agendas.

As to preparing for future strife, I am lucky to have a brother with a decent bit of land in the country so my family have at least a decent plan B. Tbh I think while we should be prepared for the worst, we should also try to stop what is happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I know people who have recently bought alot of ammunition and one guy has been actively buying up ex Royal Marines stock. I am worried about things but the further west & south you can go the better chances of survival should civilisation come crashing down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

d0gb0y wrote: »
    I was watching a Louis Theroux documentary last night on Dave channel it was was made in 2004(i think) & it was was about the "right wing militias" in the US.

From the very start of the doc he was pushing for a racist agenda which no doubt he would use to as a way of discrediting what these people where doing. The first person he met was very nice & did not seem right wing at all. He also gave a very compelling reason why he was doing it. The IRS came after him & emptied his bank account then they went after his daughters bank account & took the full $12 out of it.

After this the documentary went down hill as Louis was after racists which he found of course. I found this disappointing as he should have focused on the reasons why this large group of people where doing this instead of looking for some of there racist agendas.

As to preparing for future strife, I am lucky to have a brother with a decent bit of land in the country so my family have at least a decent plan B. Tbh I think while we should be prepared for the worst, we should also try to stop what is happening.

It was filmed in 1998 as I recall. Has anyone read this book about how people survive an apocalypse and there is this one bad ass dude who is kind of like the anti hero and hes trained in martial arts and gunfighting. There was an internet test on which character you could be in the book a few years ago.

Anyway if a breakdown in society ever occurs I for one am fcked. I have no survival skills at all (I can't even tell left from right) and am crap at kung fu. Although I might take it up again. And I should probably learn how to drive and fly a plane (strangely enough I was thinking about this last year as an imperative). If there were a nuclear war knowing how to fly and having easy access to a plane would be a huge plus. Being a doctor would be an advantage, there are never too many doctors, its a fairly recession proof job.

The best thing to do would be to set up a cult or political party, (power in numbers) and have people work for you and protect you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 C\m\C

i talked with a man who was sincere in saying he had stocked on tins of tuna and water, stored in a bunker..but this was just for a joke.

at my age, preparing for armageddon has been an everyday occurence, folk my age just accept inevitable and get on with it.

in 50 odd years, there still hasn't been an armageddon and i think its safe to say there won't be for some time to come..so put your tuna and bottled water away for now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Smudgeyboy

I actually believe in a new age emerging rather than this one ending.

I meant more in case of short term bull**** like aerial diseases/WWIII bull****, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 C\m\C

I meant more in case of short term bull**** like aerial diseases/WWIII bull****, etc.

"aerial diseases" - we already have cold and flu.
    sure hope you ain't suggesting the governments would deliberately let loose a flu like ebola..then we'd all be history.

possible as it is, lets not worry about it..fear mongers, don't think the government are that stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

And I should probably learn how to drive and fly a plane (strangely enough I was thinking about this last year as an imperative). If there were a nuclear war knowing how to fly and having easy access to a plane would be a huge plus.

:confused:

So you can ... ???????

No prizes for the best answer. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Some people by the nature of how they operate will be more prepared than others.

I've been refurbin a few more cars so that the majority of my fleet is diesel and can be run on the Sunflower oil Diesel that I've started to produce.

Food production is comin along nicely, I have a dozen cattle earmarked as Dinner, the spuds and veggies are growin nicely down at the farm and I have planted small gardens here outside my office and at the house in Brisbane ( never could see the point of flowers :) )

oh and I started raisin Geese in the yard at Brisbane, they're nestin at the moment should have 6 - 8 Goslings by the end of next week.

also over the last few weeks I have noticed a decline in the number of customers through the doors the amount of solid business is increasing from the remainder, had one of my best single days of sales in a few months on Thursday so I dont know, I would think those of us in Primary industries should be able to weather out the storm nicely, unless the arse also falls out of the resource industry :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

so put your tuna and bottled water away for now.
    Food production is comin along nicely

No amount of canned goods will help you if crap really hits the fan, but the ability to produce puts you in a good position whatever way the winds blow...

• Advertisement

my thoughts exactly Kama, I've always said that to be Free you must be able to feed yerself.

its nice to see so many people come back to the oldskool thought processes and the realiation that disposable consumer society just aint sustainable

Well, it might be or it might not; I don't think it is...like most stuff its a bet. But by having a good deal of the basics you need you've hedged the risk. Worst case scenario if you're wrong, you have a nice hobby farm. Worst case scenario if they're wrong, you get to eat!

hhhmm seen this on tv3 news today, strange that I didn't see much of what is happening in Iceland on mainstream media yet they seem content to show this in Australia. Maybe because its far away & not as close as Iceland or as similar as Iceland?

http://www.tv3.ie/news.php?video=1726

Is it that bad in Oz yet Mahatma?
    Or maybe this is a slow build up to a supermarket rush to get us all spending again. I bet quite a few people took that message, i'd imagine that lidl+ aldi love tv3

Makes me think of this.

I didn't expect to see that news yet...

yeah I saw that story, 7 were playin the doom and gloom angle and 9 focused on the fact tht it only happens once every few monthsand a lot of food is still wasted or dumped by the suppliers.

so yeah I've see it, but rememer that TV3 and Seven are in the same schlockjournalist vein

that said tho the Australian has run a few stories abou Iceland

Shipping has dropped off a lot

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2008/10/baltic-dry-shipping-collapses.html

ah credit.........where would we be without it?

Advertisement