Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child friendly restaurant in Tralee?

Options
  • 03-10-2008 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Going to visit the family in Tralee on the weekend, part of which is a 10yr old and a 1yr old. I want to bring them somewhere nice to eat on Saturday evening (so nice pub grub aint a great option since there'll be people drinking by then). Can anyone recommend somewhere that would suit? Don't need anything fancy, just somewhere nice and comfortable in around Tralee or within a quick drive

Many thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Gally its up near lidl on the castlemaine road is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

O'Donnells in Mounthawk on the Fenit road is lovely, I personally think the food is a bit better than Gallys, and its a beautiful big pub

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

yep both of those would do my sister and brother have kids and bring them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hi guys,
    Thanks so much for the help - I've O' Donnells booked for this evening - no prob with the 2 kids they said - I'll let ye know how the food was when I get back

Alas it looks like O' Donnells won't suit - The family say that it's basicly a pub, i'm after an actual restaurant setting.

If anyone cna think of anything in the next hour i'd be grateful ;) Thanks for the suggestions about O' Donnells but just want to get away from the pub atmosphere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tyther

Most of the bigger hotels in town will have a restaurant seperate from the hotel pub.Try ballyseedy castle very good food and a nice relaxed atmosphere.

Passed that place yesterday, looks amazing. However we've eaten in the Meadowlands before (with kids) and were happy with everything so we're going to go back. I'll give my opinion of the place when I get back after my meal tonight - thanks everyone for the help

Hi all,
    Just to update.... went to the Restaurant at the Meadowlands hotel.

When we arrived, they even had the baby-chair ready for us. The atmosphere was great and it wasn't busy

The food was grand, I wasn't too impressed with the side portions but they didn't quibble when I asked for more (And obviously wasn't charged for extra) - So as far as the food goes, thumbs up

Now for the bad side - The Service. It was TERRIBLE. I mean absolutily TERRIBLE. We were given the menu on arrival, and had to wait 20mins to place our food/wine order. The food arrived in the time expected (20 mins for a well done steak) so again no complaints from the kitchen. But even when it came to being served etc. we had to wait for AGES, at one stage I had to actually stand up and approach one of the waitresses for some ketchup. Now I always try to see the good side of things, and i'll put it down to that there was a Wedding on at the other side of the Hotel, so maybe the staff were over there. However during our visit there were only 7 tables being used (most with 2 people, 1 table with 6) and there were 3 waitresses - hardly rocket science.

So overall:
    Food: Happy and would return - Compliments to the Chef
    Service: Would definately think twice about returning, however since we were there last year and the service was great, i'll put it down to a once off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just to update.... went to the Restaurant at the Meadowlands hotel.

When we arrived, they even had the baby-chair ready for us. The atmosphere was great and it wasn't busy

The food was grand, I wasn't too impressed with the side portions but they didn't quibble when I asked for more (And obviously wasn't charged for extra) - So as far as the food goes, thumbs up

Now for the bad side - The Service. It was TERRIBLE. I mean absolutily TERRIBLE. We were given the menu on arrival, and had to wait 20mins to place our food/wine order. The food arrived in the time expected (20 mins for a well done steak) so again no complaints from the kitchen. But even when it came to being served etc. we had to wait for AGES, at one stage I had to actually stand up and approach one of the waitresses for some ketchup. Now I always try to see the good side of things, and i'll put it down to that there was a Wedding on at the other side of the Hotel, so maybe the staff were over there. However during our visit there were only 7 tables being used (most with 2 people, 1 table with 6) and there were 3 waitresses - hardly rocket science.

So overall:
    Food: Happy and would return - Compliments to the Chef
    Service: Would definately think twice about returning, however since we were there last year and the service was great, i'll put it down to a once off

yeah heard good things about the restaurant in meadowlands hotel

you know there is a side entrance to both Gallys and O Donnells both on the right hand side as you look at them from the road So you would not have to go through the pub. the food in O' Donnells at the moment is V good Gallys is not as good as it was but still worth going there for the steak sandwich, the burger and the cod fillet and chips (I know, I have very pretentious tastes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gaol-linn

gally's is my fav place to eat out in tralee. i thought over the last 2-3 months that their menu has really improved, i love their goujon wrap. last time i was in o'donnels it was good aswell but i find gally's has a much nicer menu. i think they're very child friendly too for the op. horses for courses i guess though:p

another option is la scala, nicest soup anywhere, i go there just for it, i don't think they have a bar though

• Advertisement
Advertisement