Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone else think the government is being unbelievably hypocritical over Lisbon?

Options
  • 03-10-2008 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

All this fuss about Libertas funding - regardless of where you stand on the issue, can we all agree that if Libertas had campaigned in favour of the treaty no one would give a damn about their funding? They're only attacking Libertas because their side lost...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

Disagree tbh. I'm fairly tilted to the No side, and I wasn't happy about Libertas; dodgy funding is dodgy funding, it's not entirely a partisan hurrah-boo thing.

If Liberts had been pro-Lisbon, I'm sure you would have seen similar stuff going around of the American military-industial was pro-Lisbon and influencing the election. Indymedia had Libertas links first that I know of, I doubt they would have not posted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

I'm not sure who in the government was saying a few weeks ago that Libertas should have no say on the Lisbon Treaty because they have no democratic mandate...
    Hopefully I don't need to point out the glaring lapse in logic there as well as hypocracy. Obviously all the parties that are pro-treaty don't have a democratic mandate either. Hypocracy in the extreme. It's pretty obvious their attitude...vote yes or else.
    Oh and I'm no fan of Libertas either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

Wasn't the bloody rte pushing ther own pro lisbon agenda aswell .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Kama wrote: »
    Disagree tbh. I'm fairly tilted to the No side, and I wasn't happy about Libertas; dodgy funding is dodgy funding, it's not entirely a partisan hurrah-boo thing.

If Liberts had been pro-Lisbon, I'm sure you would have seen similar stuff going around of the American military-industial was pro-Lisbon and influencing the election. Indymedia had Libertas links first that I know of, I doubt they would have not posted it.

I would agree both with that and with the OP. Had Libertas been on the Yes side, the people asking the questions about their funding would have been different. The refusal by most of the No side to question Libertas' funding is just as hypocritical as the establishment's keen pursuit of the question.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

All this fuss about Libertas funding - regardless of where you stand on the issue, can we all agree that if Libertas had campaigned in favour of the treaty no one would give a damn about their funding? They're only attacking Libertas because their side lost...

According to Ganley he has contributed to Fianna Fail in the past and no one asked him where his money came from. Total hypocrites alright.

BTW, Ganley was on the Late Late last night. He is a hell of a lot more impressive and believeable than Dick Roche - thats for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

According to Ganley he has contributed to Fianna Fail in the past and no one asked him where his money came from. Total hypocrites alright.
    Did he lend them €200k?
    BTW, Ganley was on the Late Late last night. He is a hell of a lot more impressive and believeable than Dick Roche - thats for sure!
    Leaving aside the obvious quip about damning with faint praise, what made him believable, apart from the desire to believe him?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Did he lend them €200k?

Don't know what he did. Maybe FF will tell us.

Leaving aside the obvious quip about damning with faint praise, what made him believable, apart from the desire to believe him?

Well, imo, Roche came across as an arogant buffoon (as did Gay Mitchell). To avoid your (false) accusations that I'm somehow a veritas supporter (for the record I have made no paid, unpaid contributions to that organisation), the audience seemed to be well received by the Late Late audience approval and he got a very good clap at the end of his interview. Pat Kenny went fairly lightly on him, probably because he was very unprofessional at the first Lisbon vote when the results were not going 'his way'.

Don't know what he did. Maybe FF will tell us.
    So if he gave FF a tenner and "lent" Libertas 200 grand, you don't see a difference? You still think it's hypocrisy?
    Well, imo, Roche came across as an arogant buffoon (as did Gay Mitchell).
    Par for the course, so far.
    To avoid your (false) accusations that I'm somehow a veritas supporter (for the record I have made no paid, unpaid contributions to that organisation)...
    No such accusation was forthcoming.
    ...the audience seemed to be well received by the Late Late audience approval and he got a very good clap at the end of his interview.
    OK, but that's a fairly lightweight standard by which to judge credibility. I only watched for a few minutes, but his body language didn't suggest credibility to me - and that's leaving aside the basic stuff like whether or not what he was saying was true.

So if he gave FF a tenner and "lent" Libertas 200 grand, you don't see a difference?

I don't know anything about it. I'd like FF to say what, how much he gave and whether it was a loan or a gift or whatever. And then I'd like for Ganley to confirm what they said was true.
    OK, but that's a fairly lightweight standard by which to judge credibility. I only watched for a few minutes, but his body language didn't suggest credibility to me - and that's leaving aside the basic stuff like whether or not what he was saying was true.

Fairplay Oscar for giving us another fine example of the arrogance of the 'yes' side. Don't give up the day job as you'd never make it in politics if you ignore the kind of signals that the audience was giving out. Keep this up and Lisbon II will be defeated as well - easily.

Fairplay Oscar for giving us another fine example of the arrogance of the 'yes' side.
    Whoah, waitasecond. I'm arrogant because I didn't believe what Declan Ganley was saying on a TV interview? Are we re-defining "arrogant" as well as "bullying"?
    Don't give up the day job as you'd never make it in politics if you ignore the kind of signals that the audience was giving out.
    I have no interest whatsoever in getting involved in politics. It seems to me that the electorate judge their politicians by how convincingly they lie to them, rather than by the veracity of what they say.
    Keep this up and Lisbon II will be defeated as well - easily.
    I apologise for having the arrogance to express an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

It seems to me that the electorate judge their politicians by how convincingly they lie to them, rather than by the veracity of what they say.

That's actually the most succinct explication of politics I've seen in a long time...

Whoah, waitasecond. I'm arrogant because I didn't believe what Declan Ganley was saying on a TV interview? Are we re-defining "arrogant" as well as "bullying"? I have no interest whatsoever in getting involved in politics. It seems to me that the electorate judge their politicians by how convincingly they lie to them, rather than by the veracity of what they say.

No, Oscar, your comment was arrogant because you dismissed the fairly positive signals (imo) from the audience (i.e., voters) towards Ganley and what he had to say. These voters did not give any indication that they had a problem with his credibility. Surely out of a few hundred people in that audience one or two would want to ask a few hard questions?
    I apologise for having the arrogance to express an opinion.

Thanks for the apology Oscar. Next time I'll take your comments more seriously if you actually watch the whole of the interview and the audience reaction at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

...he got a very good clap at the end of his interview.
    No, Oscar, your comment was arrogant because you dismissed the fairly positive signals (imo) from the audience (i.e., voters) towards Ganley and what he had to say.
    I didn't realise the outcome of Lisbon II will be decided with one of these.

djpbarry wrote: »

Nice to see a bit of humility about the place ;)

No, Oscar, your comment was arrogant because you dismissed the fairly positive signals (imo) from the audience (i.e., voters) towards Ganley and what he had to say. These voters did not give any indication that they had a problem with his credibility.
    It seems to me that the electorate judge their politicians by how convincingly they lie to them, rather than by the veracity of what they say.
    I'm at a loss as to why I should judge his credibility by the applause he received. When he says things that are actually factually true, with body language that indicates he believes that what he's saying is true, I'll think about considering him credible.
    Surely out of a few hundred people in that audience one or two would want to ask a few hard questions?
    Are you implying that because nobody in that particular audience asked hard questions, that there are none that need answering?

Or are you still talking about the meta-discussion about whether the Lisbon debate should be won by whomever the more convincing liar happens to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

Lads i'd be more worried about the budget next week rather than lisbon!

I'm at a loss as to why I should judge his credibility by the applause he received. When he says things that are actually factually true, with body language that indicates he believes that what he's saying is true, I'll think about considering him credible.

To avoid confusion here - do you claim he is not credible because of his body language when he is speaking, yet you dismiss the audience approval (clapping, no tough questions, no hecking, only one question over the phone from the Late Late viewership), not to mention not actually watching the whole of the interview ... words fail me :confused:
    Are you implying that because nobody in that particular audience asked hard questions, that there are none that need answering?

Or are you still talking about the meta-discussion about whether the Lisbon debate should be won by whomever the more convincing liar happens to be?

No, I'm in the camp of I'm sick of hearing accusations with nothing to back them up.

To avoid confusion here - do you claim he is not credible because of his body language when he is speaking...
    That, and saying things that aren't true. It's a potent combination.
    ...yet you dismiss the audience approval (clapping, no tough questions, no hecking, only one question over the phone from the Late Late viewership), not to mention not actually watching the whole of the interview ... words fail me :confused:
    If you hadn't had the benefit of a clapping audience to tell you what to think, how would you have judged his credibility?
    No, I'm in the camp of I'm sick of hearing accusations with nothing to back them up.
    Me too, but he won't stop making them.

That, and saying things that aren't true. It's a potent combination.

Thought you said you didn't watch it. What did he say that was not true? Then I can try and figure out if whatever he said was true or not is relevant to what way I vote in the next Lisbon Treaty vote.
    If you hadn't had the benefit of a clapping audience to tell you what to think, how would you have judged his credibility? Me too, but he won't stop making them.

I only mentioned that Ganley was on the Late Late Show in passing because I know there are a few posters here who are obsessed with him. ;) I don't care what Ganley/Veritas think or say because unlike Dick Roche or Gay Mitchell and the rest of them, he doesn't hold a position of public responsibility in Ireland or the EU. As far as I'm concerned, he is irrelevant to the debate. Stop blaming the messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

djpbarry wrote: »

Why not, how do you think we had ten years of Bertie? It wasn't his economic abilities, vision or oratorical skill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I don't care what Ganley/Veritas think or say because unlike Dick Roche or Gay Mitchell and the rest of them, he doesn't hold a position of public responsibility in Ireland...
    I would argue that he has bought himself just such a position.

Thought you said you didn't watch it. What did he say that was not true? Then I can try and figure out if whatever he said was true or not is relevant to what way I vote in the next Lisbon Treaty vote.

I only mentioned that Ganley was on the Late Late Show in passing because I know there are a few posters here who are obsessed with him. ;) I don't care what Ganley/Veritas think or say because unlike Dick Roche or Gay Mitchell and the rest of them, he doesn't hold a position of public responsibility in Ireland or the EU. As far as I'm concerned, he is irrelevant to the debate. Stop blaming the messenger.

Curious, though, the way this irrelevant man continues to appear very regularly in the media, and not just to be knocked either. You know Libertas are standing in the Euro elections?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

That will be interesting though. More as a commentary on the main parties.

FF, FG, Labour (and even the PDs as more right wing FFers) have held a monopoly on Irish voters for ever nearly. Is there room for anybody else, even as a protest vote. SF couldn't make it. Can Libertas?

And how will any result be spun?

Libertas get no votes - No vote collapses or Libertas were not an issue in no vote.

Libertas get a reasonable number of votes - country has turned anti-Europe, it's just a protest vote

etc. etc. etc.

May you live in interesting times.

Thought you said you didn't watch it.
    There seems to be an ongoing disconnect between the things I write and the things you want to believe I wrote.

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Curious, though, the way this irrelevant man continues to appear very regularly in the media, and not just to be knocked either. You know Libertas are standing in the Euro elections?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

The reason why he keeps appearing is possibly because people like yourself, Oscar, politicial parties, media who supported a 'yes' vote, are obsessed with him .... no such thing as bad publicity etc. etc.

Why are you worried that they are standing in the Euro elections? Sinn Fein will probably stand a few candidates as well. They also supported a 'no' vote you know.

There seems to be an ongoing disconnect between the things I write and the things you want to believe I wrote.

I got the impression that you didn't watch the whole programme from something you wrote. You did watch it then! Apologies for taking you up wrong.

The reason why he keeps appearing is possibly because people like yourself, Oscar, politicial parties, media who supported a 'yes' vote, are obsessed with him .... no such thing as bad publicity etc. etc.

I have to say that last time I looked in the mirror I wasn't Geraldine Kennedy! No, I somehow doubt that explanation - particularly because I'd be perfectly happy to see him drop out of the media. He's keeping himself in there himself, I think.
    Why are you worried that they are standing in the Euro elections? Sinn Fein will probably stand a few candidates as well. They also supported a 'no' vote you know.

I'm (cautiously) pleased they're standing. Shake up the cosy oligopoly of the EP by national parties a bit. As to SF, sure, but so? SF have, what, one MEP? And that's largely based on the eurosceptical vote. If the Libertas campaign comes off they might have 20 MEPs - completely different ballgame from SF, but probably pulling in a lot of the eurosceptical voters.

regards,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    I have to say that last time I looked in the mirror I wasn't Geraldine Kennedy! No, I somehow doubt that explanation - particularly because I'd be perfectly happy to see him drop out of the media. He's keeping himself in there himself, I think.

You might not look like Geraldine Kennedy, but you make the same sounds as her newspaper;)
    ... As to SF, sure, but so? SF have, what, one MEP? And that's largely based on the eurosceptical vote. If the Libertas campaign comes off they might have 20 MEPs - completely different ballgame from SF, but probably pulling in a lot of the eurosceptical voters.

Exactly my point ... voters views on Lisbon might not be reflected by a similar vote for Veritas. When Veritas seek a position of power (i.e., be able to influence the decision making process), then they deserve the same scrutiny as any other politicians.

You might not look like Geraldine Kennedy, but you make the same sounds as her newspaper;)

Which is remarkable, considering I don't read it!
    Exactly my point ... voters views on Lisbon might not be reflected by a similar vote for Veritas. When Veritas seek a position of power (i.e., be able to influence the decision making process), then they deserve the same scrutiny as any other politicians.

Veritas do cards - Libertas do posters!

No, I disagree, but in a very particular way. I think the SIPO third-party legislation needs tightening, because the aim of it is to provide transparency, and Libertas drove an articulated lorry full of cash through the legislation. Libertas has no "case" to answer, but we do need to know what they did, or at least SIPO does.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Going back to the OP on how Ganley's No campaign was funded, at least we know how the Yes campaign was. It was paid for by the taxpayers whether or not they supported the Yes campaign -- and the vote suggests they did not. Perhaps we should be enquiring how come taxpayers money was used in all of the government's PR?

If it's reasonable for tax money to be used to fund the government's campaign, then natural justice suggests that the No campaign should also have been funded publically, then the question would not arise. Oh -- I am missing the point. This is not about democracy, is it?:rolleyes:

Advertisement