Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti Social Behaviour

Options
  • 03-10-2008 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Does anyone think galway has a problem with anti social behaviour?I certainly think there are parts of this city that are being terrorised by a small minority of thugs.Im just wondering could you call it a serious poblem or is no worse than any other city/town in ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Does anyone think galway has a problem with anti social behaviour?I certainly think there are parts of this city that are being terrorised by a small minority of thugs.
    There are a few areas with a bad name and I can't say I have been anywhere near these areas in a few years but I think terrorised is a bit strong.
    Im just wondering could you call it a serious poblem or is no worse than any other city/town in ireland.
    It depends on the area being compared to. Certainly there are parts of Dublin or Limerick that Galway would compare very well to in terms of crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

malice_ wrote: »
    There are a few areas with a bad name and I can't say I have been anywhere near these areas in a few years but I think terrorised is a bit strong.

It depends on the area being compared to. Certainly there are parts of Dublin or Limerick that Galway would compare very well to in terms of crime.

When decent law abiding people are being tormneted by burning cars and such like i call that being terroised.I do think the main problem crime in galway is burglaries.In terms of gangland crime galway has no problem.Sligo a place with a smaller population is worse in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would say Galway is very safe considering its size and the amount of stags/ hens/ tourists/ romas/ EEs* & students that are here. Sure some areas are a bit dodgy but not to the extent it warrants particular police attention imo. We do have our fair share of lowlifes though, like that guy that is being charged with killing Manuela (RIP).

*http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0821/1219243766638.html

Well i do think house break inns are a serious problem.Ive heard that house are being broken into even in broad daylight.Would galways main trouble spots just like knocknaheeny mayfield and mahon in cork be castle park westside and ballinfoyle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭shoelaceface

every county has its dodgy areas.. i dont think galway is unique for anti social behaviour in any way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

biko wrote: »
    I would say Galway is very safe considering its size and the amount of stags/ hens/ tourists/ romas/ EEs* & students that are here. Sure some areas are a bit dodgy but not to the extent it warrants particular police attention imo. We do have our fair share of lowlifes though, like that guy that is charged with killing Manuela (RIP).

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

What are we doing about it though? Nothing is the answer. My better half is a primary school teacher in one of the "rougher" parts of the city. She teaches 4th class this year and in the past two weeks alone 7 out of 15 of her pupils have been suspended for fighting or disruption within the classroom. Thats over 50% of them and this is not confined to just her class. She is regularly told to fu@k off, called a cnut, b1tch and whore to mention just a few. They have absolutely NO respect for the teachers, adults or any sort or authority and its down to the way they are dragged up. They are not brought up, no, they are dragged up by their "parents".

Last year she had a different class of pupils and of them maybe 5/6 were real trouble makers. One in particular came from a broken home. The kids father had killed himself, his mother has tried several times to do likewise and is in and out if the psych ward regularly. The kid is bouncing off the walls and nobody is helping him. They can't get a psychologist to assess him due to lack of resources etc, he can't focus or behave in class and he takes it out on the teacher. He runs out of the classroom and takes off down the road with his teacher chasing after him in case he gets knocked down. He swears, is aggressive and has reduced my better half to tears (not an easy task i assure you) on occasions and he is 10 years of age! What do you think he (and his ilk) is going to be like at 18?

My missus can see the next batch of scumbags, criminals and those that will spend large parts of their lives in jail, involved in crime or end up dead from it in front of her every day at work.

It's right now that we should be nipping this in the bud not when they are 18 and the damage is done and permanent. We can find 400billion to bail out the fat wasters who runs the banks in this country but we cannot finance our most basic needs in education or health and we are supposedly an advanced rich western country.

You have not seen anything yet in terms of anti social behaviour, just give it another 8-10 years. We are well on our way to being just as bad as North inner city Dublin or Southill and Moyross in Limerick

What are we doing about it though? Nothing is the answer. My better half is a primary school teacher in one of the "rougher" parts of the city. She teaches 4th class this year and in the past two weeks alone 7 out of 15 of her pupils have been suspended for fighting or disruption within the classroom. Thats over 50% of them and this is not confined to just her class. She is regularly told to fu@k off, called a cnut, b1tch and whore to mention just a few. They have absolutely NO respect for the teachers, adults or any sort or authority and its down to the way they are dragged up. They are not brought up, no, they are dragged up by their "parents".

Last year she had a different class of pupils and of them maybe 5/6 were real trouble makers. One in particular came from a broken home. The kids father had killed himself, his mother has tried several times to do likewise and is in and out if the psych ward regularly. The kid is bouncing off the walls and nobody is helping him. They can't get a psychologist to assess him due to lack of resources etc, he can't focus or behave in class and he takes it out on the teacher. He runs out of the classroom and takes off down the road with his teacher chasing after him in case he gets knocked down. He swears, is aggressive and has reduced my better half to tears (not an easy task i assure you) on occasions and he is 10 years of age! What do you think he (and his ilk) is going to be like at 18?

My missus can see the next batch of scumbags, criminals and those that will spend large parts of their lives in jail, involved in crime or end up dead from it in front of her every day at work.

It's right now that we should be nipping this in the bud not when they are 18 and the damage is done and permanent. We can find 400billion to bail out the fat wasters who runs the banks in this country but we cannot finance our most basic needs in education or health and we are supposedly an advanced rich western country.

You have not seen anything yet in terms of anti social behaviour, just give it another 8-10 years. We are well on our way to being just as bad as North inner city Dublin or Southill and Moyross in Limerick

Is this east side or west side.Fair play for calling a spade a spade galway is getting worse with regards burglaries and people robbing and burning cars.What galway needs is people taking action not people sticking their heads in the side.Some people i know living in the ballybane area had their car burned out.

I meant to say sand instead of side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Agree completely, at the minute Galway does not have a serious problem with anti-social behaviour, particularly compared to Dublin, Cork or Limerick. However, the lack of resources on new estates, and the problems on existing estates means it will unless it is dealt with sooner rather than later.

A lot of the problems in Southill in Limerick developed out of the scenario's you're describing Fozzie, you should have a read of the Fitzgerald report into Southill and see what can happen if these relatively minor problems are left untended.

• Advertisement

Agree completely, at the minute Galway does not have a serious problem with anti-social behaviour, particularly compared to Dublin, Cork or Limerick. However, the lack of resources on new estates, and the problems on existing estates means it will unless it is dealt with sooner rather than later.

A lot of the problems in Southill in Limerick developed out of the scenario's you're describing Fozzie, you should have a read of the Fitzgerald report into Southill and see what can happen if these relatively minor problems are left untended.

Ballybane and Westside are just as bad as anywhere in cork.They made same mistake as southill with ballybane regarding housing.The area behind the church is a jungle and there making the same mistake with knocknacara.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I don't know I think Galway is alot safer than it was when I was a teen..
    Back then there were regular Riots in Salthill after the nightclubs...then again them were the days when men were men and we could beat your kids for being a$$holes. Now they'll sue ya if you hit them... bring back the cane that's what I say :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I think its on the rise.Im seeing more and more fistycuffs on nights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Alcohol culture and the promotion of same by advertising.
    Negative influence of media, centering on the pursuit of individual pleasure to the dereliction of common values and social responsibility.
    Re-enforcing people's fears and inflating the perceived risks of standing up for yourself.

You'll hear the shocking story of how some young middle-class couple were set upon by a group of thugs (just as probable to be relatively affluent drunk students as a group of neredowells these days).

You'll rarely hear of the jackass who started on the wrong person and got their ass handed back to them in a snackbox because people didn't just stand by and let it happen.

The negative vibe present in the media is very worrying.
    So fscking what if it sells papers. People like to be inspired more than to be cowed into fearful submission.

The recent tooling up of the gardai is really worrying, not in itself, but that it is now necessary and that I wouldn't trust every Garda that passes through Templemore not to be a trigger-happy tard.

The Celtic Tiger was bull**** PR spin from the business sector making the most of a favourable wind, cocaine imports rose accordingly. With that came more weapons as competing groups filled the vaccum left by certain fundraising groups exiting the market.

We are recreating the jungle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Is this east side or west side.Fair play for calling a spade a spade galway is getting worse with regards burglaries and people robbing and burning cars.What galway needs is people taking action not people sticking their heads in the side.Some people i know living in the ballybane area had their car burned out.

Don't want to say which exact part of town it is for fear of identifying herself or the kid involved whose father killed himself. But it is a well known area with lots of concrete estates with nothing for kids to do and plenty of families with social problems etc.

Lads ye have no idea of whats going on in our schools though. Until I started going out with my missus and heard the stories I would have not believed it. It's a losing battle the teachers are fighting and you can be sure if the teacher laid a finger on a kid they would be nailed to the wall and probably sacked. My better half has been sending out CV's to country schools over the last week as she has had enough of it. She is just burnt out from the constant struggle and feck all back up or support from the Government.

Mark my words about whats coming down the line with this current crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Same as it always was, most of the problem stems from the parents, they themselves suffer from Socio-Economic problems and as such have no real parenting skills... Now, as back then, there are many latch-Key Kids. Time and time again I’ve seen mothers & Fathers plastered and their kids running round the place..
    And if you tackled the parents you’d get the usual Barrage of incomprehensible foul language…

At a young age it’s not the child’s fault, some are boisterous & Bold, but more often than not it’s a cry for attention. Something that’s sadly missing at home…We fed some of these kids with our own. Some people should just not have kids…

Tackling Anti-Social-Behavior has to be done at community level, sadly most people don’t get involved for fear of reprisals. I’ve seen this all too well when I lived in the City..
    And don’t be fooled there are some right Gougers living in the country as well..

Advertisement