Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Testosterone - it's really not a bad thing.

• 03-10-2008 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭

Testosterone levels are very important for me. When they start to decrease it can affect body fat and muscle levels ( body composition overall ), your mental health, your libido everything.

In todays world i find it amusing that it's now an insult to be seen as being full of testosterone. It's a regular slight used by people on men seen as being aggressive, arrogant or angry.

Why?

We should all be striving to keep our test levels as high and as healthy as we can. The simple fact that you are a bloke means Test is one of you main drivers.

I'm only 27 but i get my levels checked once a year. It's not because i'm into Fitness, or i'm angry ( although i AM angry :pac: ) it's simply because it is an important health marker for males.

Diet can have massive impact and often times things people write off as being run down, literally means their test levels are shot to bits.

Simply taking in extra zinc and magnesium can do the trick very nicely. Sunflower seeds and oil are a great source of this.

If you are at the start of your 40's and are really feeling the effects then you need to get things checked. Treatments are available.

It's not a bad thing to keep an eye on this, the "manliest" of hormones afterall.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭trout

How / Where do you check ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

That ultimate in man friends, your local GP can arrange all types of bloodtesting that you will require.

Check your health insurance ( don't even talk to me if you don't have health insurance, i'm 27 and reckless and have health insurance for the last 3 years - it's already paid for itself with the money saved on doctors trips, bloodtests and meds and specilist from the last 7 months or so ) to see what aspects of the testing and possible treatment it will cover.

If, for any reason, your local GP is not equipped to take blood samples ( I can think of no reason for this, they simply draw the samples and pass on for the relevant tests ) then they will point you in the write direction.

It should be noted, there ARE private practices that will do this type of thing

www.testosterone.ie but they can be a bit more expensive ( slightly cheaper on the more top level treatments though ) and may not fall under your insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

It's fine for people to take testosterone as they wish, if that's their choice.

But we probably shouldn't advise people to keep testosterone levels as high as we can.

We don't know enough about the long term effects of testosterone supplementation.

Most young guys aren't defective in testosterone. A lot of middle aged guys are. But there are problems with it. We know that the only really sensible way to take it is by using a gel. But more than half the people who sue the gel get skin problems, so it might not be right for a lot of people.

People haven't being using it in the way described above for long enough to study it's effects. But we do know that a LOT of guys who use testosterone gel get prostate problems. So will they get prostate cancer? Prostate cancer can be treated with anti-testosterone drugs, so can testosterone supplements cause it? I don't know. No-one does. But it's worth thinking about.

It doesn't bother me what adults choose to do or take. But just be aware that we don't know a lot about long term androgel use. It was never licensed to treat the symptoms that we're talking about her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I don't think the OP is talking supplements of any kind, rather to be happy with your private rabid rage at everything around you and make good lifestyle choices/diet adjustments to keep hormones and all the rest in good balance.

Or he's about to start pushing drugs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement