Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which to Install: Vista or XP

• 03-10-2008 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Alright so I did a basic search but could not find any topics related to this, if there already is a page you know about could you point me in the right direction.

I am ordering a new PC this week and getting it without an OS. The specs are

CORE-2-QUAD 4x2,67Ghz Q6700/ATI HD4850 512MB /4096MB/500G

I am just wondering whether or not I should install Vista or XP as I have access to both. I have never used a computer with Vista but I heard that there has been some teething difficulties with it. I am only using the computer for college and a few low-end games so which would ye reccommend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Vista, xp is old technology, I'd only recommend it if the hardware was low spec but yours is top notch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

XP is stable and trusted technology. Question is do you have software/documents on an old PC that you need to move to the new PC? Vista is fine if it's your first PC but if you need backward compatability, Vista will leave you high and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Kernunos

thanks for the replies. I am starting with a pretty clean slate, just need the computer for college and maybe some casual gaming, so all I will be bringing from my old laptop is pictures, music and one or two games.. Ye both have good points, even if they point seperate directions; Vista is the new technolgy and will be the most use in the future, XP however is stable and if it aint broke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Only thing Vista won't really work with is old hardware (such as printers etc), vista is stable for the majority of people.

XP is old news and i really don't see any reason for you to go with it. Do some research on vista's features and then decide whether or not they are worth it. From a hardware perspective you won't have any problems running vista or doing uni work. I assume any printers in your college/uni will work with vista, if you ain't sure check with your it department.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Vista.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

originally i set myself up a dual boot of xp/vista as a just in case measure. Cant recall the last time i had boot to xp on it to be honest. I have no issues in vista and im on a 3 yr old mid range spec pc :eek: i actually miss some little things if im on an xp machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The only time Vista failed me was when trying to interface with a circa 2002 flatbed scanner, and only because HP had no intention of supporting a vista driver for such an old piece of equipment: thats not to say some coding guru out there hadnt created a vista ready driver for it, but for a lot o old hardware its unlikely.

On the other hand XP drivers dont exist for some newer hardware, and this is a problem for lots of laptop consumers.

I'd go with Vista personally. Some of the new features will suprise you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Overheal wrote: »
    thats not to say some coding guru out there hadnt created a vista ready driver for it, but for a lot o old hardware its unlikely

there is the whole signing drivers thing which makes it a little more difficult
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winlogo/drvsign/drvsign.mspx

also creative didn't like it when someone wrote drivers
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/31/creative_labs_developer_legal_action/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BleedTheF!FtH

If i were u i would go with xp. I have vista on a reasonably good spec laptop and its pretty ****ty. Cant use alot of my old software on it. It seems slow and faulty at times also.

Meh.. thats just my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

i used to be one of the "stick to XP" crew but i have finally bitten the bullet and ordered Vista. Time to move on I guess.

If you are really unsure you could set up a dual boot so you have the best of both worlds. XP will always be there if you need it. When a business customer asks me this question my head and heart tell me two different things.

Anyhu, you shouldnt really have any real difficulty with vista as you have good specs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

i used to be one of the "stick to XP" crew but i have finally bitten the bullet and ordered Vista. Time to move on I guess.

If you are really unsure you could set up a dual boot so you have the best of both worlds. XP will always be there if you need it. When a business customer asks me this question my head and heart tell me two different things.

Anyhu, you shouldnt really have any real difficulty with vista as you have good specs.
    Don't forget you need TWO licenses if you want to dual boot.

Advertisement