Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on FIFA 09

Options
  • 03-10-2008 2:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, im bored and wanna buy a game. Havent logged on to Live in months so havent played the demo. Basically i wanna know is it any good? I was a diehard PESfan until last years attempt but might be changing now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Try the demo first. This was the first year I was tempted away from PES. I played the 09 demo and the gameplay just did not sit well with me.

I'm going to wait for full reviews for PES 09 first before I buy it, to make sure the online works. But the PES demo has shown me that the gameplay has improved a lot over 08.

My €0.02.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Melion wrote: »
    Ok, im bored and wanna buy a game. Havent logged on to Live in months so havent played the demo. Basically i wanna know is it any good? I was a diehard PESfan until last years attempt but might be changing now.

It is class man. There's shed loads to do including 10 v 10 online. The graphics are savage and the gameplay is impressive.

Only €35 in Tescos too......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

plenty of room for both fifa and pes in everyones collection

2 different types of footie games

pes is more an arcadey job, with fifa a more slow paced sim jobbie (if youre coming from pes, turn all computer assistance off in fifa and play it on a high difficulty... youll get more out of it)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Well i got it today. Played a few games with Liverpool, love the real songs from the crowd. Started the Be a Pro career mode thing, christ its brilliant. Gonna have a few games on Live now i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Tis great..felt the commentary was a bit delayed at times though
    album looks pritty good too with ting tings,sam sparro and the script

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Deadly it is, playing the La Liga season at the moment and loving it.

Pity they didnt update the commentary much as Gray & Tyler are using the same one liners as last year.

The updating of the stats to reflect the players performances is really cool, you get one freebie at the back of your game book but you have to pay for the rest of them which sucks. Its EA though so im kind of used to this sort of thing from them now.

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Deadly it is, playing the La Liga season at the moment and loving it.

Pity they didnt update the commentary much as Gray & Tyler are using the same one liners as last year.

The updating of the stats to reflect the players performances is really cool, you get one freebie at the back of your game book but you have to pay for the rest of them which sucks. Its EA though so im kind of used to this sort of thing from them now.

€6 per league or €18 for the lot iirc

one of the secret achivements is to win a game not signed into xbox live....strange

• Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

not too sure about the graphics

the players dont look at all like their real life opposite

that what i think anyway

its an ok game

id rent before I buy

im gald i did

i wont be buying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Played a few game last night!Its savage......but when i scored with torres he was already on a yellow card and i messed up the celebration and he got a second yellow and was sent off!!

• Advertisement

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    Played a few game last night!Its savage......but when i scored with torres he was already on a yellow card and i messed up the celebration and he got a second yellow and was sent off!!

?????what the hell did you do???..can you take off your shirt or something???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Soby wrote: »
    ?????what the hell did you do???..can you take off your shirt or something???
    I was doing back flips anf forgot to press A to land it and he got hopped!But it might have been for a previous foul.Im not sure cause i dont remember fouling anyone!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

not too sure about the graphics

the players dont look at all like their real life opposite

I think the graphics ar brilliant. The colours are more realistic, and the players look very much like their real counter-parts.
    They finally got Alonso looking wright, and they likes off Gerrard, Cole, Lampard, Rooney, Berbatov... are all pixel perfect IMO.

I think the graphics ar brilliant. The colours are more realistic, and the players look very much like their real counter-parts.
    They finally got Alonso looking wright, and they likes off Gerrard, Cole, Lampard, Rooney, Berbatov... are all pixel perfect IMO.

+1
    btw loving the sig:p..crazy joe..sigh good ole b.o.b

+1

am i the only one who thinks it plays pretty much the exact same as last years?

maybe im missing something coz ive only played a couple of matches, but its the exact same from what i can see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Seems to me like every referee in the game was modelled after Mike Riley :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

Helix wrote: »
    am i the only one who thinks it plays pretty much the exact same as last years?

maybe im missing something coz ive only played a couple of matches, but its the exact same from what i can see

I think its smoother, faster and all round feels alot better than last year.
    So I would say play it more and you might fsee the difference.
    Soby wrote: »
    +1

Thanks, Kudos for the correct recognition of the quote!! When I heard it re-watching it I couldnt resist!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Seems to me like every referee in the game was modelled after Mike Riley :mad:

Or a Vulture. Oh wait, its the same thing :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

One strange thing I have seen is the Uk version with Rooney on the Cover doesn't have the Eircom League in it.

• Advertisement

anyone got the A.Bell Fever achivement yet??ive no idea what it is..the describtion is "Catch the A.Bell Fever by beating the creator or someone who already has the fever...strange achivement again

seems to be beat someone online who was on the dev team, or who had beaten someone on the dev team

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

One strange thing I have seen is the Uk version with Rooney on the Cover doesn't have the Eircom League in it.

I have the one with Rooney on the cover and it definately has the eircom League.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The vast majority of posts on Fifa and Pro Evo decent into fanboyism, so Im going to try avoid that and look at the game from a completely neutral position.

Ive always preferred Pro Evo to Fifa because of its more 'realistic' football. Last years pro evo really annoyed me. It almost felt more like Fifa than Pro Evo...with high scoring games and players running the pitch a regular occurance. However, Fifa 08 was a nice surprise. It was a maybe a little too slow but was still lots of fun to play. If Pro Evo was going in the wrong direction, than Fifa was definitely going in the right direction.

Fifa 09 - In terms of gameplay it feels to me like it has reverted to the Fifa of old a bit...i.e, its possible to run the pitch and the games are often very high scoring affairs. My first three games were 2-2, 7-4 & 3-1. Thats 19 goals in three games. An average of over 6 goals a game.

The animations look very clunky and unnatural to me also. They certainly arent as good as pro evos...likewise with player likenesses. They are good, but not as good as pro evos. The game is still enjoyable and much better than previous Fifa efforts. As usual, the presentation is excellent and its also great to play with all the licences. The 'be a pro' mode is a stroke of genius.

I'll have to play some more before I make up my mind for good. I just wish I could assign sliding tackle to a button...it just wont work for some reason.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

tbh Fifa 09 is my first real attempt at playing fottie online so apologies if my rant has been heard a thousand times before.

Not getting a win when a f**kn coward quits a minute before the end is a disgrace. Came back from 2-0 down in the 75th minute to beat Chelsea. He quits and no record of the game on the stas. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I have the one with Rooney on the cover and it definately has the eircom League.

Isn't it the exact same disc for everywhere in Europe with only the cover and booklet varying.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    tbh Fifa 09 is my first real attempt at playing fottie online so apologies if my rant has been heard a thousand times before.

Not getting a win when a f**kn coward quits a minute before the end is a disgrace. Came back from 2-0 down in the 75th minute to beat Chelsea. He quits and no record of the game on the stas. :mad:

ye they really should just give a automatic 3-0 win...like theres time when i have to quit early for whatever reason i have to turn off the console and i would gladly give a 3-0 victory to the other team...then again i do lose my connection a lot thanks to the crappy wireless on the xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

When you go into your stats about 5 minutes after a game does it not show up as a win ?
    A few questiosn I have
    How do you get your world ranking ?
    What is the stort with the points for a win 25 for a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,912 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Fould this 'review' of FIFA on another forum, PESfan, and it is almost exactly how i feel about it, having bought it at the weekend:
    Spikeout wrote:
    Well I finally give in & bought FIFA 09 yesterday, played it quite a lot since. Basically the reviews swayed me, there's been the critic reviews on the various game websites, then even hardcore Pro Evo fans on here saying FIFA was fantastic & they like it better than Pro Evo this year.

So first impressions were very good, superb graphics, menu's good, although I was really only worried about the gameplay, things like licenses aren't important unless the game actually plays good first.

Onto the gameplay then, the passing at least initially I thought was very good, seemed a real sense of putting it where you want it, the animations are superb & the headers feel fantastic as you can actually time your jump & there's a real sense of skill in winning each one. Strength has been implemented really well, the strong players like Drogba & Essien feel like they carry pure power & solid weight. Shooting is better than last years FIFA but still there's something mechanical about it, shots float a lot & at times don't look realisitic.

Tackling feels solid when you win the ball but there's far too many times the ball is there to be won & your player will literally just take the opposition player out, maybe this is just something you need to master but there has been blatently obvious tackles were the ball is there to be won & my player decides to go for the guys legs.

Penalties are really well done, power bar & a good sense of control over them, definately think Pro should copy this system.

I was fairly happy with the game at the start, thinking it would get better the more I played it, literally quite the opposite has come true. The main problems I have is the passing system while good in terms of getting passes in the direction you wanna go its absolutely horrible if you wanna play a quick passing game as the power bar ruins any chance you have of being quick & efficient, you need to recieve the ball before you can power up your next pass. I appreciate what they were trying to do but in my view it just doesn't work for the flow of a football game.

The unassisted passes while they give you pretty much complete control of the direction it will literally only be the hardcore players who truly master the sensitivity of the analogue stick that will be able to play the game with any amount of enjoyment. Same with the shots, crosses etc.

Dribbling feels good if in the arena mode & even in the matches its not too bad. The problem is that the degree of responsiveness is really poor quite a lot & if you wanna take players on you need to turn sharply or change pace a lot & in FIFA 09 this seems so tough to do so far. I think I can get better at it but I do think its a lot to do with the sluggish reaction times of turns. So taking on players & getting past them is a task thats bordering on ridiculous.

Changing players is another frustrating situation, if your pressing the button & you cycle past a player you want by mistake instead of coming back to him pretty quickly it will give you players over the far side of the pitch that are nowhere near the play, I find this happens a lot, good I suppose for making runs with players in the middle or the far side of the pitch but Pro's player switching is just a level above this.

The crosses aren't too bad, a bit floaty but the heading system makes up for this problem to a large degree but still the crosses should have been better.

Onto the skill system for me its just far too showboat & there won't be a lot of sitautions were using them will get you past a player, so to me their more for show although I'd like to here feedback on this & any criticism's I've levelled at the game.

My last problem with the game is what many people have said before me & thats about the individuality of players, there's literally not that much difference between a good winger & a world class winger, or a good striker & an average one, Pro Evo in this area is just in a different league.

Overall I'm annoyed at having bought the game based on all these great reviews FIFA 09 has been getting, I'll keep on playing it in the hope that some of these factors that I think are poor will improve with more play time but for now I can't help but feel that I think its £35 wasted.

Initial Rating 6/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

What Im surprised by is how everyone is saying its difficult to dribble past players. Im by no means an expert but I have been easily dribbling past dozens of players...and the opposition has been doing it to me too. This is on professional. So unless its a different game on pc to the consoles, im a bit confused.

The last 5 games Ive played - 2-2, 7-4, 0-3, 4-4, 3-3

It really seems like Fifa of old to me...and a step back from Fifa 08. Im looking forward to Pro Evo more after playing Fifa 09.

Advertisement