Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on FIFA 09

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,912 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Tusky wrote: »
    What Im surprised by is how everyone is saying its difficult to dribble past players. Im by no means an expert but I have been easily dribbling past dozens of players...and the opposition has been doing it to me too. This is on professional. So unless its a different game on pc to the consoles, im a bit confused.

The last 5 games Ive played - 2-2, 7-4, 0-3, 4-4, 3-3

It really seems like Fifa of old to me...and a step back from Fifa 08. Im looking forward to Pro Evo more after playing Fifa 09.

FIFA on the PC was developed by a different team to the console versions, so it is different to them. How different, I don't know - but i do know i find it very hard to dribble past people, and the computer doesn't dribble past me either. Played my brother in a few games yesterday and neither of us went on any good runs - only running came from there being space to run in to - as soon as a defnder got close we either had to turn back, pass away or get tackled. I managed to get past him a few times with some tricks, but just general dribbling, such as cutting back as the defender comes close doesn't seem to work very well as the players are a bit too slow to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Tauren wrote: »
    FIFA on the PC was developed by a different team to the console versions, so it is different to them. How different, I don't know - but i do know i find it very hard to dribble past people, and the computer doesn't dribble past me either. Played my brother in a few games yesterday and neither of us went on any good runs - only running came from there being space to run in to - as soon as a defnder got close we either had to turn back, pass away or get tackled. I managed to get past him a few times with some tricks, but just general dribbling, such as cutting back as the defender comes close doesn't seem to work very well as the players are a bit too slow to do it.

Ahhh...so that explains it. Cheers for the information as I was getting very confused. The game Ive been playing sounds very different to the reviews Ive been reading.

I played Fifa 08 on the Xbox 360 and it was as you said, very difficult to dribble past people. It was very much a football SIM...and I liked it. Fifa 09 on the pc is 100% more arcadey than Fifa 08 on Xbox was. High scoring games...running the pitch...etc.

Ill have to try it on a console.

Have you noticed that post seems to have a ball magnet. Shooting is still poor. I have also noticed my team doing alot of ball watching .

Defence is poor when your racing against a striker. I change to another player to get a better angle but it change's back again. I change again and it changes back again .
    I have conceded a few goals because of this.

Crosses are strange and never seem to make it to a head. Passing has greatly improved though.
    Goal Keepers are the same .

• Registered Users Posts: 45,912 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Have you noticed that post seems to have a ball magnet. Shooting is still poor. I have also noticed my team doing alot of ball watching .

Defence is poor when your racing against a striker. I change to another player to get a better angle but it change's back again. I change again and it changes back again .

Crosses are strange and never seem to make it to a head. Passing has greatly improved though.
    Goal Keepers are the same .

Yeah - i hit the post/bar 5 times at game, at least.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm sitting here zombified at work...the reason being I stayed up until 3 am the last 2 nights playing Fifa 09. Very few games have done that to me in the last few years.

I'm very happy with the game so far. It's far better than the PES efforts as of late, and it plays more like a real game of football. Yes, crosses don't always get to the head of a striker, but does it in real soccer? The games I have been having are all very close, winning or losing by the odd goal.

The be a pro online mode is prety good, but all it takes is a few muppets and the game is spoiled.

I haven't had as much fun with a footie game in about 4-5 years. And all for 35 euros :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

You should change player switching to fully manual (If you haven't already!) I have it all the way down and it improves the game a lot. There's still the odd time when it doesn't seem to respond though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Crosses are strange and never seem to make it to a head
    you can alter your control over crosses..from controling both power and direction to just power or have it all done for you and the ball just goes to the front or back post..you can do this for through ball,passing and other stuff too..check it out in the options menu..might help ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

now maybe its just going to take time to adjust or something, like it did last year, but i cant help feeling that fifa 08 is twice the game fifa 09 is. its faster, it looks better (this is obviously personal preference, but 09 looks too cartoony or something), it controls better and it has a better flow to it

09 has the 10v10 be a pro, plus the be a pro seasons, both of which make the game worth getting alone, BUT its just not got the same quality as 08, which is far and away the better game to play imo

Anybody have any problems with Freezing ? I couldnt play it last night while having Xbox live on. The game wouldnt even start.

I also reached the 3rd season and couldnt get past a game without crashing. I tried Simming and playing the game but no luck. Had to restart.

The shooting has to be re-worked again though .

I thought the same about the shooting aspect of the game, but I played in the arena for about an hour last night just trying things and I have to say it really improved my goal:shot ratio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Re playing it on the PC.

I recently hooked my ps2 up to a new TV/Monitor after years on an old crt.

PES2008 now seems to run alot faster (even faster than before) ball zips along etc. Does this mean this is the way the game was meant to be played and my old TV was holding it back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Helix wrote: »
    now maybe its just going to take time to adjust or something, like it did last year, but i cant help feeling that fifa 08 is twice the game fifa 09 is. its faster, it looks better (this is obviously personal preference, but 09 looks too cartoony or something), it controls better and it has a better flow to it

I agree with the cartoony looking graphics, the animations arent great either IMO but I think most of the other "flaws" will just take a bit of getting used to. Fifa 08 has got a good flow to it, but tbh it just looked to easy, players passing in any and all directions regardless of where they face and so on. In '09 you just have to be more careful with your passing as your players dont have ninja like ball control as they did before,for me this makes a well worked move a lot more satisfying.
    Im currently playing the be a pro season, I dont see what all the fuss is about but I am willing to reserve my judgement until I have played a season or two. Ive just broken into the Irish reserves, having started with Boh's reserves, so I do like the sense of achievement there. Id like if the off the field elements stretched a bit farther than a few repetitive newspaper headlines, but I suppose thats something that can be worked on over the years. Four seasons also seems way to short, this would be far more interesting if it spanned an entire career allowing the player to decide his future, transfers and whatever else.
    My biggest gripe with the game so far is the sheer amount of ball watching that goes on, its shocking, particularly in defence. So many times I have been caught out by a nothing ball which my defenders just wont attack, they just watch as it bounces past and into the path of a striker, its very frustrating. Tackling is also a disaster, the only time I dont foul an opponent is when players are face to face, attempting to tackle from any other angle will invariably result in a free to my opponent. Other people have been complaining about hitting the post, i say learn to shoot!

I find myself liking it the more I play it, gameplaywise its a new game altogether and I think there is loads to master in that department. Its nothing ground-breaking, but definitely another step in the right direction for the series and certainly worth a look for any footie fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Michael-O'Neill

Aight so here is my opininion. aight so i is playin this game and i is finkin that it is broken cause i is tryin to jump and i is triyin throw a grenade and he is well not throwin a grenade. so i is here finkin that i went out and spenin €60. and this minger on the screen is playin footbal when he is ment to be killin stuff.
    so what im sayin is . i is finkin that this game is well mingin.
    aight. peace out:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Aight so here is my opininion. aight so i is playin this game and i is finkin that it is broken cause i is tryin to jump and i is triyin throw a grenade and he is well not throwin a grenade. so i is here finkin that i went out and spenin €60. and this minger on the screen is playin footbal when he is ment to be killin stuff.

Pull your pants up. You are a disgrace :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 harry92

you has obviously bought d wrong game i is finkin :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭gunner_twotone

Lads,

Does anyone know how to change the camera zoom and height?

When I go through the different angles the options for zooming and height cant be changed?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

yea ye just have to change the camera from default to custom just above the sliders which allows you to change the zoom and height. Unfortunately it won't let me zoom out for online be a pro which is ****ing annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭gunner_twotone

yea ye just have to change the camera from default to custom just above the sliders which allows you to change the zoom and height. Unfortunately it won't let me zoom out for online be a pro which is ****ing annoying.

Cheers buddy, Ill give it a shot!

Am getting frustrated by the fact that you cannot test the connection prior to an online game vs a random opponent.

Highly annoying spending 10 minutes controlling 10 lead weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

I have spent the last week playing it and I'm very impressed. I used to be always pro pro evo but I just got annoyed with the last two versions so I decided to give Fifa a chance.
    Im glad I did as it plays really well imo.
    One thing that is iritating though is that every tackle is deemed a bookable offence. i was playing against a mate yesterday and he ended up getting 4 men sent off each getting 2 yellow cards :confused:

• Advertisement

Im still not too impressed. THe shooting is still terrible. Its ok if your a superclub. But you can be in point blank range and the ball is kicked directly at the keeper no matter what you do.
    Lobbing is terrible there is too much of a fine line to get it right .
    When defending your player seems to get dragged to the behind of the compter's player no matter how hard you try not to.
    Players have a tendancy to turn the back to the ball.
    Players have also developed a way to run like a crab (sidewards)
    Crossing is muck , again its OK if you are a superclub.
    All goals seem to be the same.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Am getting frustrated by the fact that you cannot test the connection prior to an online game vs a random opponent.

Highly annoying spending 10 minutes controlling 10 lead weights.

You can quit again before 15mins have passed as long as a game is still 0-0, that's what i do!!

Wish you could see your opponents rank and maybe even a little section of the record!!. Hate having to wait until after every game to go look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

BFassassin wrote: »
    I have spent the last week playing it and I'm very impressed. I used to be always pro pro evo but I just got annoyed with the last two versions so I decided to give Fifa a chance.
    Im glad I did as it plays really well imo.
    One thing that is iritating though is that every tackle is deemed a bookable offence. i was playing against a mate yesterday and he ended up getting 4 men sent off each getting 2 yellow cards :confused:

that would have been PES6 right? the single best football game ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

that would have been PES6 right? the single best football game ever.

Maybe the PS2 version.. but not the 360 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Yeah I was fairly dissapointed with the last two versions tbh. thats pes6 and pes2008
    More so with pes2008 because of the complete failure of xbox live games. Pes6 was good enough but the online was really flawed too with all the quitters and nothing being done about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

Tusky wrote: »
    The vast majority of posts on Fifa and Pro Evo decent into fanboyism, so Im going to try avoid that and look at the game from a completely neutral position.

Ive always preferred Pro Evo to Fifa because of its more 'realistic' football. Last years pro evo really annoyed me. It almost felt more like Fifa than Pro Evo...with high scoring games and players running the pitch a regular occurance. However, Fifa 08 was a nice surprise. It was a maybe a little too slow but was still lots of fun to play. If Pro Evo was going in the wrong direction, than Fifa was definitely going in the right direction.

Fifa 09 - In terms of gameplay it feels to me like it has reverted to the Fifa of old a bit...i.e, its possible to run the pitch and the games are often very high scoring affairs. My first three games were 2-2, 7-4 & 3-1. Thats 19 goals in three games. An average of over 6 goals a game.

The animations look very clunky and unnatural to me also. They certainly arent as good as pro evos...likewise with player likenesses. They are good, but not as good as pro evos. The game is still enjoyable and much better than previous Fifa efforts. As usual, the presentation is excellent and its also great to play with all the licences. The 'be a pro' mode is a stroke of genius.

I'll have to play some more before I make up my mind for good. I just wish I could assign sliding tackle to a button...it just wont work for some reason.

I agree I've been a Pro Evo fan since the very first Snes I.S.S. game. However last years Pro Evo was awful. The online mode was virtually unplayable even after the update. It degenerated into an arcadey kick-about also. So I commited the ultimate act of heresy for a Pro Evo fan and traded it in for Fifa 08. I was'nt disapointed. Fifa is now the realistic soccer sim and due to Pro Evo's license inferiority I really doubt if Konami can recover. Anyway I got Fifa 09 recently and its a good update.Pain 35 Euro for it in Tesco.( I refuse to pay sixty Euro for a francise update)
    I like how there are now short renditions of national anthems. I hav'nt got my head around the custom tactics yet.

Manual shooting is a bit crazy....its IMPOSSIBLE to score while moving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 P992

does any1 know how much this game sells for in xtravision?

54....i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Ive seen alot of complaints about shooting(and to each their own), but I think the shooting is very well done,
    after a bit of practice ive seen that you can decide to hit a ball with the outside of your players foot and have it curl into the top corner, or cut across the ball and have it scream into the net, ive even managed the crossing straight from a corner to a player on the edge of he box for them to drive it goal bound,
    Ive also found that scoring goals is harder but feels alot better when you do score.

on an unrelated note: BFAssasin did you buy a champions league painted car in Forza2, your name(tag) looks familiar:)

Advertisement