Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyres - that much of a difference?

Options
  • 03-10-2008 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just look at replacing my rear tyres (245/40 18's) and am getting wildly different prices depending on make. Goodyear around €250 to Bridgestone around €380. Would Bridgesone be 50% better /longer lasting/grippier than the Goodyear?

Also would there be a huge downside to having a different make on the rear and front tyres?

Cheers

Edit: Kept ringing - Bridgestones now at €290

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Try www.camskill.co.uk cheaper than Irish prices and v. reasonable shipping rates

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Try www.camskill.co.uk cheaper than Irish prices and v. reasonable shipping rates

Cheers - They work out at €242 before delivery on that so not a huge difference

I suppose I'm more interested in finding out if there is that much of a difference between the makes or is it just branding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

TheBazman wrote: »
    Cheers - They work out at €242 before delivery on that so not a huge difference

I suppose I'm more interested in finding out if there is that much of a difference between the makes or is it just branding

Well, it's kind of like asking "Is Volkswagen better than Toyota?". If you compare a Passat to a Yaris then ya. If you compare a Polo to an Avensis then no.
    What Bridgestone are you comparing with and what Goodyear?

Biro wrote: »
    Well, it's kind of like asking "Is Volkswagen better than Toyota?". If you compare a Passat to a Yaris then ya. If you compare a Polo to an Avensis then no.
    What Bridgestone are you comparing with and what Goodyear?

Beyond the size all I know is the make. I hear what you are saying tho'.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,449 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Checkout eiretyres. Apart from generally decent prices, they also have many links to online reviews of tyres.

• Advertisement

Cheers

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 10 neverwalkalone

Hi

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide/archive/

is a good resource for tyre testing as distinct for tyre prices

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

TheBazman wrote: »
    Hi

Just look at replacing my rear tyres (245/40 18's) and am getting wildly different prices depending on make. Goodyear around €250 to Bridgestone around €380. Would Bridgesone be 50% better /longer lasting/grippier than the Goodyear?

Also would there be a huge downside to having a different make on the rear and front tyres?

Cheers

Edit: Kept ringing - Bridgestones now at €290

what model of tyre are they, there are loads of bridgestones some good some bad.

and what car are they for

run flats or normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'd like to know what car they're on..........it never fails to amaze me the unsuitability of the tyres fitted to a lot of cars in this country...... but the tyre garage just love the business !!

e.g. My Porsche wears 205/60-15's and are N rated to the car's performance, at 156mph. Tyres, e.g Continental, are Eur 115 each.

My Saab 9-3 has 225/50-17's as standard.........lovely to look at, but does the car need them? Course not.......cracked, I tell ya, cracked !!

As for Eire tyres, yes good prices. But you won't fit those tyres out the back with 2 x spoons !! You have to add the cost of fitting them, new valves, balancing (and tracking is a good idea at the time).

So, how do you think you'r local tyre guy is going to take it when you ask him to fit/balance/etc tyres you didn't buy off him......? Exaclty.....my brother got tyres from them, and after all the palaver, they cost more than local, for the above reasons........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

galwaytt wrote: »
    I'd like to know what car they're on..........it never fails to amaze me the unsuitability of the tyres fitted to a lot of cars in this country...... but the tyre garage just love the business !!

e.g. My Porsche wears 205/60-15's and are N rated to the car's performance, at 156mph. Tyres, e.g Continental, are Eur 115 each.

My Saab 9-3 has 225/50-17's as standard.........lovely to look at, but does the car need them? Course not.......cracked, I tell ya, cracked !!

As for Eire tyres, yes good prices. But you won't fit those tyres out the back with 2 x spoons !! You have to add the cost of fitting them, new valves, balancing (and tracking is a good idea at the time).

So, how do you think you'r local tyre guy is going to take it when you ask him to fit/balance/etc tyres you didn't buy off him......? Exaclty.....my brother got tyres from them, and after all the palaver, they cost more than local, for the above reasons........
    Well said there young man,im in the game and people arrive with there online tyres and expect you to fit them for near nothing.Now dont get me wrong i dont mind fiting them,for a fair price,i always make sure to give people the price before we start,its amazeing the amount of people that dont even ask and then will start winging hen the job is done.
    People dont take into account just because we are fiting someone elses tyres,we still have to pay staff,elec,insurance,machines,balencers,stick on weights etc,and at the end of the day if something goes wrong like say a wheel comes loose or something we are responsible,and it sure wouldnt be worth being sued for 20euro,and the onlyones makeing any money is the wholesaler.
    I have been makeing a point lately of asking people how much they have paid for the tyres that tey buy online,mainly because it seems to be geting more common,and 9 times out of 10 by the time they pay for fitting and balencing and disposal they save naff all.And there is no point ringing eiretyres or the likes when you hita pothole at 3o clock in the morning and burst 2 tyres and need a mobile tyre service is there.icon7.gif.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

thetyreman wrote: »
    Well said there young man,im in the .

Ha ! no prob, you can send the cheque to.........:D :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Ha ! no prob, you can send the cheque to.........:D :D
    Sorry about the rant,im off to bed now,busy day ahead of me tomorrow fitting www.****alloverheadstyres.ieicon10.gificon10.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Well said there young man,im in the game and people arrive with there online tyres and expect you to fit them for near nothing.Now dont get me wrong i dont mind fiting them,for a fair price,i always make sure to give people the price before we start,its amazeing the amount of people that dont even ask and then will start winging hen the job is done.
    People dont take into account just because we are fiting someone elses tyres,we still have to pay staff,elec,insurance,machines,balencers,stick on weights etc,and at the end of the day if something goes wrong like say a wheel comes loose or something we are responsible,and it sure wouldnt be worth being sued for 20euro,and the onlyones makeing any money is the wholesaler.
    I have been makeing a point lately of asking people how much they have paid for the tyres that tey buy online,mainly because it seems to be geting more common,and 9 times out of 10 by the time they pay for fitting and balencing and disposal they save naff all.And there is no point ringing eiretyres or the likes when you hita pothole at 3o clock in the morning and burst 2 tyres and need a mobile tyre service is there.icon7.gif.

I agree with you! I don't bother buying on-line cause I know a place in Limerick and a place in Sligo that'll fit the same tyres for the same price or very close to the price of the on-line tyres which I'd have to get fitted myself. I usually use that site for a price guide though, and a bargaining tool!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I recently got 4 225/40/18's for my GT. Falken FK452's from camskill.

€325 for delivery for the 4 tyres and add another €60 for fitting

I don't think anywhere in the country would match that or come close

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I recently got 4 225/40/18's for my GT. Falken FK452's from camskill.

€325 for delivery for the 4 tyres and add another €60 for fitting

I don't think anywhere in the country would match that or come close
    Thats good allright,you are the 1 out of 10 that i was talking about,as opposed to the 9 out of 10...well done

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭caze

I needed 2 new Run Flats for my car this week, 245 40 R18 Goodyear Eagles. Rang loads of places in Dublin and up north for prices and checked online. Eiretyres wanted €261 euro but eventually got them beside croke park for €265 fitted, best price I got was €250 but other side of the City and I was tight on time. If you were close to the border it would be worth a trip over but not if you have to travel a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thats good allright,you are the 1 out of 10 that i was talking about,as opposed to the 9 out of 10...well done

I was looking for 4 tyres for the missus Scenic and was quoted €540ish for budget to €760 iirc for Bridgestones.

Buying from Eiretyres they run from around €50 a tyre for budget up to €190 for the most expensive Michelins.

The dearest Bridgestones are 125 a tyre, so assuming I was getting the better end of the bridgestones off the guy here I would save over €200 on the set buying online.

Fitting was €50 for the set using one of the garages on eiretyres list so would have saved €220.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

All I can is that I'm glad I have 195/65s on a 15' rim. They're expensive enough for me - I think I might cry if I saw what you guys have to pay for low profile, 18's, V-rated etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think the fact camskill have really good prices on Falkens helped...wouldn't have saved as much on other brands but I find the 452's up there
    superjosh9 wrote: »
    I think I might cry if I saw what you guys have to pay for low profile, 18's, V-rated etc.

thats what I got and if you look around you will not pay as much as you think

Advertisement