Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return to cycling

Options
  • 03-10-2008 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I just left my bike in for a full service and I am going to go back cycling for first time in about 3 years.

Prior to that I lived in rural USA and I cycled quite a bit. This will be the first time I have cycled in Dublin properly. My commute to work is Clontarf to Merrion Square and I will also be going Clontarf to DCU quite a bit.

Can you reccommend some safety pointers for cycling around Dublin, any black spots to avoid etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Fairview cycle track is a nightmare.
    Narrow and loads of peds on it. Usually walking into the city centre so they'll have their back to you.

Plus it may be slippery with leaves in the winter.
    A pretty poor facility that could be improved :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Yeah I spoke to a friend about that this morning, he suggested taking an alternative route over Alfie Byrne Road, cutting through East Wall, out onto the quays, over Sean O'Casey bridge and up towards Pearse Street.
    micmclo wrote: »
    Narrow and loads of peds on it. Usually walking into the city centre so they'll have their back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I use the road instead of the path here due to the reasons you listed.

OP to DCU the Malahide Rd and Collins Ave are both pretty save routes, evening during winter.

Going over to Merrion Sq. there's bits of cycle path - Fairview park and Northstrand however I think your saver using the road in these area's & feck the buses and taxi's beeping at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Worst cycle lane ever.
    I stay on the road at that point. Some taxi drivers tend to be unimpressed by this, but that's their problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Mairt wrote: »
    OP to DCU the Malahide Rd and Collins Ave are both pretty save routes, evening during winter.

+1
    You should have few problems for this commute. For cycling routes in Dublin, it's one of the better ones.
    Huggles wrote: »
    Yeah I spoke to a friend about that this morning, he suggested taking an alternative route over Alfie Byrne Road, cutting through East Wall, out onto the quays, over Sean O'Casey bridge and up towards Pearse Street.

Good call, I agree this is a better route then Fairview and North Strand.
    Word to the wise, Sean O'Casey is a pedistrian bridge. If you do decide to cycle over it, take it easy.
    Too many lunatic cyclists on that bridge and you hit someone on a pedestrain bridge you're fecked, and rightly so!
    Sorry if I coming across as preaching, just some bike couriers send people scattering as they sprint across the bridge :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raam wrote: »
    Worst cycle lane ever.
    I stay on the road at that point. Some taxi drivers tend to be unimpressed by this, but that's their problem.

Is it even a proper cycle lane? It's also covered in road works of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

el tonto wrote: »
    Is it even a proper cycle lane? It's also covered in road works of late.

A section of it has been "fixed". I'll let you make up your own mind as to what "fixed" actually means.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raam wrote: »
    A section of it has been "fixed". I'll let you make up your own mind as to what "fixed" actually means.

I can imagine. But I'd definitely concur with your assessment that its the worst bike lane in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Thanks everyone ;)

Advertisement