Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soup recepies???

• 03-10-2008 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    what with winter coming I'm looking for recepies for my 2 favourite soups, vegtable and pea & mint. used have a veggie one which involved sauting the veg's....

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Mmmmmm, winter soups :

Honey-roasted parsnip soup is my fav...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/honeyroastedparsnips_5334.shtml

Jamie's Minty Pea soup is as easy as it gets :

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=29087

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I love this pea and mint one.

Chop a medium onion and potato. Into a pot with a good knob of butter. On a low heat for 10minutes, or longer without the onion colouring. Add in two pints of stock, and simmer for 20 minutes, until the spuds are cooked. Add in 12oz or so of frozen petit pois. Simmer for two minutes. Add in mint, blend, add milk. Back up to the heat and serve.

Edit: This is one I intend on trying soon (pea and ham soup)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

This is one of my favourite soups:

LENTIL SOUP
    4 Medium carrots, diced
    2 sticks of celery, diced
    2 onions, chopped
    1 crushed clove of garlic
    1 tomato, roughly chopped
    1 cup or ½ a mug of red lentils, rinsed
    1½ chicken or vegetable stock cubes
    Salt and black pepper
    Mixed herbs
    1½ litres of hot water (a full kettle)
    Olive oil
    Saute the onion, carrot and celery in olive oil until the onion starts to soften. Add the garlic and stir, then after about 1 minute add the lentils and stir well. Then add the tomato, stock cubes and water. Season with salt and pepper and add a good pinch of mixed herbs. Bring to the boil, partly cover and simmer for at least an hour. Blend, leaving some vegetable pieces whole. Taste to check seasoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Celeriac soup (see the Rankin recipe on www.bbc.co.uk/food).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

anyone have any advice for making a vegetable soup without relying on stuff like knorr stock cubes for the stock? just trying to reduce salt/MSG/random things.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

You could make your own stock. It's incredibly simple to do.
    There's a whole thread on it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055231612

I make my own chicken stock from the carcass of a roasted chicken, or I will get some chicken carcasses from my butcher. I put them into a pot with some bay leaves, some whole pepper corns, a pinch of salt, a roughly chopped onion and carrot. Then I add approx 2 pts of water and bring to the boil. Then I let it simmer away for at least 45 mins but generally longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Homemade Tomato Soup:

Fresh (Ripe!) Tomatoes
    Tin of plum tomatoes
    Carrots, Garlic, Celery & Onion
    Stock.

Easy to make and tasty as well. Had it for supper last night. I usually add some Chorizo Salami for a bit of something different.
    Sometimes i use stock cubes for it and sometimes real stock if we've just had a nice meat dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Ingredients:
    1 Clove of Garlic
    1 Medium Onion
    4 Medium Potatoes
    4 Medium Carrots
    Salt and Pepper to Season (As required)
    1 Birds Eye Chilli (Optional)

Cooking Utensil:
    2 Litre Saucepan

Thinly slice onions and sweat in saucepan with a little oil.
    In meantime dices carrots and potatoes.
    Add diced carrots and crushed garlic clove to saucepan and cook for 2 mins.
    Add Optional Chilli (with or without seeds)
    Add potatoes to saucepan.
    Bring water above level of ingredients (approx 2 to 3 cm's)
    Bring to boil and let simmer for 15 to 20 mins.

Makes approximately 1.25 litres

Blend soup with hand blender or in food processor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Spicy parsnip soup

Peel and cut 500g of parsnips into large chunks. Cook in a little oil in a saucepan on a medium heat for about 15 minutes - until well coloured. Add a teaspoon of tumeric and a tablespoon of chilli flakes - the chilli should be warming rather than blow-your-head-off-hot. Cook the spices for a couple of minutes and add 1 litre of stock (veggie or chicken). Cover and cook until the parsnips are tender, then blend until smooth. If it is very thick, add some water to thin a little.

When ready to serve, drop about 200g of small cubes of cheddar into the hot soup and stir briefly - it will start to melt the cheese. Plate up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

This is one of my favourite soups:

LENTIL SOUP
    4 Medium carrots, diced
    2 sticks of celery, diced
    2 onions, chopped
    1 crushed clove of garlic
    1 tomato, roughly chopped
    1 cup or ½ a mug of red lentils, rinsed
    1½ chicken or vegetable stock cubes
    Salt and black pepper
    Mixed herbs
    1½ litres of hot water (a full kettle)
    Olive oil
    Saute the onion, carrot and celery in olive oil until the onion starts to soften. Add the garlic and stir, then after about 1 minute add the lentils and stir well. Then add the tomato, stock cubes and water. Season with salt and pepper and add a good pinch of mixed herbs. Bring to the boil, partly cover and simmer for at least an hour. Blend, leaving some vegetable pieces whole. Taste to check seasoning.

Sounds yummy,
    Making it tomorrow, thanks Dizzy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Ponster wrote: »
    Mmmmmm, winter soups :

Honey-roasted parsnip soup is my fav...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/honeyroastedparsnips_5334.shtml

Made this last night, a bit labour-intensive for a soup, but yummy all the same! May make twice as much next time and freeze it to make it worth my while...
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

anyone have any advice for making a vegetable soup without relying on stuff like knorr stock cubes for the stock? just trying to reduce salt/MSG/random things.

Depends on what type of veg soup you want.

I make veg broth with whatever I have handy...usually a couple of carrots, a parsnip, a chunk of turnip, some celeriac (or celery), some leek or onion, and a potato.

peel & dice it all up.
    Melt a good-sized knob of butter, and gently sautee the lot for about 10 minutes with the lid on. It'll work better (IMO) with a bit o' salt added, but if you really want to cut that down, then don't add it.
    Add enough water to cover everything, and allow to cook at (or just below) a low simmer until everything is soft.
    Blend (with a wand, or in a food processor).
    If its too thick, add some more water.

And that's it!

THe same technique will work for soemthing like carrot and coriander....use about a half kilo of carrots, a large onion...and a good heaped teaspoonful of ground coriander seeds when sauteeing. If the balance needs it, add some more coriander after blending everything down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Try making soup from red peppers, squash or pumpkin and a teaspoon of toasted, ground fennel seeds.

I tend to make soup from whatever is starting to look a little tired in the vegetable drawer. Try roasting some of the vegetables for a half an hour first to add a little colour and flavour from caramelisation - chop them very small and roast them on a high heat for 20 mins or half an hour. You're not trying to cook them, because the simmering process in the soup will do that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

A good soup combo I discovered the other day is carrots, chicken and some ginger. You get a really nice tang from the ginger that nicely compliments the other ingredients.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Anyone got a good recipie for Broccoli and Cauliflower soup.. one of my favs but want to make some of my own.. nyom nyom :D

Tox

Advertisement