Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused refund at Hickys fabrics

Options
  • 03-10-2008 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi,

My wife ordered roman blinds at hickeys with specific requests to finishing, folds etc, they arrived completly wrong, fabric was fitted wrong, lining was badly cut, stitching was pulled and they were too wide to fit.
    The shop assisstant admitted they were not as ordered and if we wanted a refund they'd so it, we said we'd accept a remake if they could guanantee giving us what we ordered. Then yesterday the manager rang, tried to fob us off with a repair, which is impossible as they were broken to start with and refused to give us a refund. I'm calling in after work, any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Just be firm and state the facts. Don't loose the rag as that will get you nowhere. Do you have a copy of the original order form? If so bring it along and compare it to what you received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

Onkle wrote: »
    Just be firm and state the facts. Don't loose the rag as that will get you nowhere. Do you have a copy of the original order form? If so bring it along and compare it to what you received.

Hi,
    I dont have the order form it was sent off with the fabric to instruct the maker.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Hi,

My wife ordered roman blinds at hickeys with specific requests to finishing, folds etc, they arrived completly wrong, fabric was fitted wrong, lining was badly cut, stitching was pulled and they were too wide to fit.
    The shop assisstant admitted they were not as ordered and if we wanted a refund they'd so it, we said we'd accept a remake if they could guanantee giving us what we ordered. Then yesterday the manager rang, tried to fob us off with a repair, which is impossible as they were broken to start with and refused to give us a refund. I'm calling in after work, any suggestions?

Hm.

I would love to know what the t's and c's on this were. I worked in this industry for several years and I can see what the manager is trying to do- wrongly sized MTM blinds are hard to get shot of- but of course if they are the wrong size they're not fit for purpose.

Just out of interest, are they over 6 ft wide? These types of blind usually don't turn out well over 6 ft.

The one thing I would say you need to be careful of here is that you don't have the original order form. In most shops customers are ensured to have a copy as it is their proof that they asked for what they wanted. It also protects the shop in case the customer asked for the wrong thing.

I would like to point out that the shop IS entitled to offer a repair or replacement if goods are not as described. That said, myself, I wouldn't be too happy with anything less than a refund in the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

SDooM wrote: »
    Hm.
    I would like to point out that the shop IS entitled to offer a repair or replacement if goods are not as described. That said, myself, I wouldn't be too happy with anything less than a refund in the situation.

True.. but either the repair or the replacement must be to the original spec and still be of merchantable quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You are entitled to the 3 Rs. Repair, Refund or Replacement. This is at the shop's discretion.

Unless you're really peed off, let them make a repair or replacement. If they don't get it right second time out, then you can look for cash back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Did they take the measurements for the blinds, or did you provide them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

let them try to repair or resize the blinds but give them a week as any longer is unreasonable as it is their mistake and you are being left waiting too long. and examine the finished product in great detail to ensure they have not cut corners etc and see the blinds fitted before you accept the repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

Thanks for replies, I have given them the option to repair even though they were wrong to begin with, I'll see how it turns out and will then demand a refund if not up to scratch. I'll let ye know the outcome,

Thanks Again

Advertisement