Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebuilding/New Build

Options
  • 03-10-2008 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Have a nightmare with my current machine, basically the problem is that it keeps randomly crashing, and the stop code is 90% of the time related to ram - but I've used different ram and it's the same problem. When it doesn't crash, Windows often just hangs at the loading/shutting down screen, leaving me with a background and nothing else. I've also changed the hard drive, which is what I initially assumed was faulty, but same problem on fresh install of XP. The strange thing is that I re-built the machine, and before I did, it kept failing Prime95, but now it passes with flying colors but I still have the hanging problem, and the odd crash. I've a feeling it might be the board, but I've no way of really verifying that.....I can run applications no problem, was even playing cod4 recently no probs, then windows keeps hanging on the shut down screen - and it also happened on a different drive so it's really quite strange.

Anyway, was I was thinking is that I would build a new machine, I have really everything needed, but as I never really do anything but web browsing on my machine as of late I thought I'd do it on the cheap. At the moment I've a Q6600, 650i, 4gb ram, dual 8800gs. I was thinking maybe of changing that to a cheap and cheerful matx case/775 mobo and E5200. I keep telling myself I want to play games at native res on my 24" monitor but lately I've had absolutely no time to play anything so realistically it's not really needed. The 8800Gs is an xfx one and the fan is not adjustable so it's a right pain in the ass when the machines on, the fan runs 100% constantly. Any ideas on a card? Was thinking the 4850 - won't be playing games (just college, late nights working, etc just dont have time this year) but with BIA out....just in case, I'll probably cave in and buy it soon. I should be able to get a respectable amount for my Antec 900, 700w psu, Q6600 and dual 8800GS to cover my new build.

I would be thinking something like this...

Cheap matx case
    cheap 775 matx board
    550w corsair psu? (thinking maybe the sonata iii for case/psu?)
    E5200
    Already have ram/hard drive/dvd
    4850 (maybe 4670?)

My current machine when on sounds like a hoover so the aim would be a nice, quiet machine.

Few questions:

1) Anyone got a spare cheap 775 board they want to sell?
    2) Recommendations on cheap 775 board/cpu combo
    3) Recommendations on cheap but decent matx case
    4) Any ideas on what the hell is wrong with my current build, due to the inconsistency of the problems I've just about suspected everything only to find it wasn't at fault. the boards in warranty so if its that can send it back....

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Is the board setting the correct voltages and timings to the ram?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

sounds like a voltage problem assuming your psu is working properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not voltage. Happens with different sticks, and at varying voltages from 1.8 up to 2.2, from tight to loose timings. It literally started happening out of the blue one day without any change to the system at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Any opinions? Already have ram/hard drives/dvd drive. The 8600Gt isn't set in stone just an example of a cheap card that'll get by in most games I play once or twice a week for a few months.

untitled-22.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ubaroo

try a corsair psu, there nice and quiet.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338686

• Advertisement
Advertisement