Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honest John Website

Options
  • 03-10-2008 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

Just wondering do people take the reviews on this site literally.

Have been looking at a number of cars and everytime i check them out on this site i get to the whats bad section and it scares the living $hite out of me and am turned off completly

Now dont get me wrong i think the site is an amazing resource but just just wondering does it highlight the extremes as opposed to the norms of what goes wrong??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

It can be kind of scary, I was checking into a BMW 320D a while back, according to the journos this car can drive on water, according to Honest John it can be a nightmare. The interweb can sometimes just be pain in the hoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Information good or bad is a dangerous thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I would not pay much heed to the "car by car breakdown" reliability info on honestjohn. Where and how does he get his information? The motor trade? Disgruntled consumers who want to have a moan without really knowing what they're talking about? Neither are very reliable sources of information.

I have read statements on that site that I know for a fact to be just plain wrong, other stuff is very misleading. This would make me dubious about anything I read on the site.

The site does give a bad impression of many cars but if you read carefully it appears that often its based on a small number of reports of particular problems occuring. Also you can lots of emphasis placed on some problems while other known problems which occur more regularly don't get a mention. There is very sparse info on certain makes and models. There is little consistency from one breakdown to another, there appear to be multiple authors writing them, lots of subjective comments etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I don't pay too much attention to them as it doesn't seem to give any sort of weighting to the frequency of reported problems. I much prefer Parkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I would use it to look for 'known faults' if I was looking for a car but it wouldn't stop me buying a car that I wanted.

However items such as the bmw 320d turbo failures were well documented and would have stopped me being interested in that type of car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Assuming the info is from customer reviews...
    In my opinion consumer reviews only work for certain products - Mobile phones, computers, films etc..

But I found last year while looking at delta airline reviews, they were all terrible, one star reviews. Its all because the only people that write these are those that have had bad experience. If I have a nice flight, it never crosses my mind to review it on the internet.

I drive a golf, find it great, but im not pushed to go onto a vw review site and rave about how great it is. If it was causing me a lot of trouble I might have a bit of a rant though. You'll find that consumer reviews on certain products - Cars, airlines, restaurants etc.. that are direct from an end-user are 90% bad experience.

When it comes to these, ill read a car magazine or a journalists review and maybe take into account some of the consumer reviews where problems occur to many users. But if theres some guy writing all in capital letter "ME F**CKIN ENGINE FELL OUT AFTER A WEEK HELP", well, you know to ignore that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

ya Parkers is better....I think HonestJ is based on specific incidents so therefore can be a bit misleading when compared to the overall picture. Nevertheless its a good place to use if you want to get the car checked for specific problems

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

noblestee wrote: »
    .........But I found last year while looking at delta airline reviews, they were all terrible, one star reviews. .

now that you mention it - yes, they are ****e, actually.......most condescending airline I've ever come across. Actually, scratch that , Ryanair OWN that trophy........:rolleyes: :D:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

In the '80s, Delta were known as "The Amtrak of the Skies"! [Amtrak is the US passenger train company, who had a very bad fatality record back then - maybe they still do.]

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

esel wrote: »
    [Amtrak is the US passenger train company, who had a very bad fatality record back then - maybe they still do.]
    :eek: I travelled 3,000 miles with them in July! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

galwaytt wrote: »
    now that you mention it - yes, they are ****e, actually.......most condescending airline I've ever come across. Actually, scratch that , Ryanair OWN that trophy........:rolleyes: :D:D

Just back from a 6,000 mile trip with them and they're better than Aer Lingus on long haul. The internet is full of poop.

Advertisement