Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ciaran Power

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Probaly the best rider thats racing in the country at the moment and a nice guy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I don't want to be spreading his business around the net but I have trained with Ciaran in the winter, went to school with him too back in the day, and can confirm that yes it's true he has decided to take a 9-5 job. Bit disillusioned, no plans to race the bike at all next year, I don't even think he owns a bike unless he got to keep one of the Pezula ones. Its tough being a pro cyclist especially in a team thats in trouble, not knowing if your paycheck is coming or not (usually it isn't), when that happens several times (as it has for Ciaran: Linda McCartney team, Navigators, Pezula) it takes it's toll. Not ideal for a person with a family and bills to pay.

He is far too good to be retired though, we have so few genuinely decent pro's in this country and to see one call it a day when they have plenty to still offer is a genuine shame. Those results up there miss a lot of good ones (several top 10's in Tour of Turkey, was watching him get beaten in the sprint by petacchi earlier this year). 4th in Rund Ulm Koln last year behind Petacchi and Haedo etc..., 3rd or 4th in the last stage of the Tour of Britan in 07 etc... loads of results like that on the international stage.

You never know, some team manager out there might be clever enough to lure him out of retirement. I hope so, you won't meet a cooler more down to earth guy. Those of you who have cycled with him will know what I mean. I for one will miss him on the roads next year (and thats saying something considering the amount of times I cursed under my breath when he rolled up to the start of a training ride).

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

RobFowl wrote: »
    I read in todays Irish Times that Ciaran has decided to retire. He was a suberb rider and his ride in Athens was the most impressive ever by an Irish cyclist at the Olympics.

that's a real shame....another good talent rider retiring

RobFowl wrote: »
    Its a shame to see him go.

+1, hope to see him on the national front more in the future, but then i would have the same attitude as Quigs Snr if he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Absolutely echo the above comments.

There is not a more geniune guy in cycling. Ciaran had time for everyone at a race from a first time C cat to the best rider signed on. A race organiser and sponsors dream, he was gracious in victory and generous in defeat and displayed none of the attitude associated with many riders without a ounce of his talent.

Ciaran was incredibly unlucky to arrive on the pro scene when sponsorship money was scarce and the opportunity to join european pro teams was so difficult. He suffered a succession of injuries which proved difficult to get to the bottom of but just look at the palmares he has achieved.

His incredible debut at the Giro in 2000 when he (literally!) rubbed shoulders with Cippollini who was at the height of his powers was amazing. To sprint so well and then survive over the mountains was an incredible achievement that deserved so much more but ended in tatters when the disaster that was the Linda McCartney team imploded, leaving riders and staff unpaid and unemployed.

His ride in the 2004 Olympics when he was in what looked like a race winning breakaway up to the last lap and then when caught still summoned the strength to finish 13th in the bunch sprint was another highlight. What a shame CI didn't give him the nod early on for Beijing this year where his meticulous race preparation could have bourne even greater reward.

I saw his incredible strength and power up close in 2005 when driving the lead car in the Eddie Tobin Memorial RR. His attack as we went over the finish line to take the bell for the final lap had me planting the accelerator to the floor to keep a head of him! He timetrailed the last 10 mile lap with great speed and strength and it was amazing to see him in the rear view mirror.

Our club subsequently had Ciaran for a annual coaching day for the past few years which generally consisted of a ride in the morning followed by Q&A workshop and discussions in the afternoon. His honesty and generosity in sharing details of his training and willingness to give any help and to even offer his mobile number so we could follow up any problems or issues was great.

At one of these sessions he spoke of the type of determination and single-mindedness required by cyclists who want to achieve a pro contract. Realising that to get a pro contract with Linda McCartney he had to perform at top level in the UK, he gave up his chance to defend his RAS title of 1998 in the 1999 race (which included a stage end in his home town) to ride in England and his 3rd place in the Lincoln International secured his contract.

Sorry to be so longwinded but if Ciaran is lost to Irish Cycling it will be a shame. He comes from a family who live and breathe the sport and have provided a great support system to him and to cycling in the south east. I hope after he takes a break he comes back to sport if not as a rider then as a coach or administrator. If Cycling Ireland don't see the possibilities of utilising people like Ciaran then its a sad look out for the sport. (then again CI were never noted for their foresight).

I wish Ciaran every success in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Worked with Lisa for a while and drank with him on occasion. He's a great guy and has done a lot for Waterford and a lot for the sport of cycling in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

Class rider alright, real shame, no spot for him on An Post???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Well said King Kelly, I believe that we have ridden together in the Comeragh leagues (no word on the prize night yet, If you are who I think you are I believe that you and a family member were at our last one), so you will be well familiar with Ciaran and his family and your view would echo that of many others.

Tackleberry, An Post is more of a development team and really, you would really need to be a young man with no family or financial commitments to be able to afford to ride for them. Thats not a criticism of the team, I think it's great what they do.

Ciaran has been a model pro for Irish Cycling. He's not a big time charlie (like Deignan), never done for doping (McCann), never switched alliegences to get more opportunities (Roche), no meltdowns (Scanlon), just years of hard slog, suffering terrible injuries and getting up again never losing the hope, never losing the drive. Name another Irish pro in the last 15 years who has been as "professional" ?

I think the likes of An Post should be beating a path to his door. To have someone like that in the team as a role model mentoring those young lads would be as valuable to their development as any other form of coaching and he is Irish to boot. I reckon he'd be snapped up if he wanted to ride for a UK team though...

Whatever happens, I hope that I see him back in the sport again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

Quigs Snr wrote: »

Ciaran has been a model pro for Irish Cycling. He's not a big time charlie (like Deignan), never done for doping (McCann), never switched alliegences to get more opportunities (Roche), no meltdowns (Scanlon), just years of hard slog, suffering terrible injuries and getting up again never losing the hope, never losing the drive. Name another Irish pro in the last 15 years who has been as "professional" ?

I agree Ciaran was a great rider and a credit to the sport, however praise him without degrading other riders in the process, you would want to know all these above mentioned riders as well as you know Ciaran Power to pass any judgement on them. Ive worked with all the above in many capacities and all have their faults but mostly their qualities. None should be trodded on, especially when you all know the sacrafices made by them for their passion for a sport.

Advertisement