Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco unveils new eco-store (Tramore)

Options
  • 03-10-2008 4:31pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Tesco today unveiled its first environmentally-friendly store which it claimed will use almost half the energy of a standard supermarket.

The new eco-store, in Tramore, Co Waterford, will cut CO2 emissions equivalent to 400 cars from escaping into the atmosphere.

Supermarket bosses said that when the 30,000 sq ft store opens next week, it will use 45% less energy than a regular outlet of a similar size.

More than 90 jobs have been created at the state-of-the-art store which was specially-designed to reduce energy consumption.

Tesco Ireland’s Dermot Breen said the firm was committed to reducing its environmental impact.

“The new ’eco’ store at Tramore is a key part of our overall environmental strategy and will help us understand the feasibility of standardising green initiatives in new stores and throughout the rest of our business,” he said.

“Last year we set ourselves a number of goals including a 50% reduction in carbon use by 2020.

“The programme also includes an investment of €30m in environmental measures throughout our business.”

The building’s frame was made from wood from a sustainable forest saving 400 tonnes of CO2 compared to a similar steel structure.

Fridges and freezers in the store will use 30% less energy than a conventional refrigeration system while solar panels were installed to help power cash registers.

High levels of insulation and a ventilation system which recycles more than 70% of heat will also significantly reduce energy consumption.

Tesco has already installed environmentally-friendly features in its 111 Irish stores including motion sensitive lighting and the redistribution of cold air to warmer parts of stores.

The Waterford store is the first supermarket in the country to be designed to the rigorous requirements set out by PassivHaus, a internationally-recognised low energy building design system.
    Source: BreakingNews

Iv been in the new Tesco, looks great I must say. Very nicely designed store and car park - and the environmentally friendly systems put in place are pretty good also. The wind turbine out front is operating away, and I believe there are also solar panels (though I haven't seen them).

Its great to see competition coming to Tramore, and thankfully they didn't open the store and build away at the same time :p Iv always found Tesco to be fairly decent priced, and shop there on a regular basis. From speaking to people in Tramore it seems a lot of people already do their shopping in Waterford and will now move to the new store, and those currently shopping in Tramore will be moving to the new store also.

Congrats to all involved. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Dan39

That all sounds fantastic Sully!

Excuse my ignorance if I'm missing something, but why were you in there? Were you invited. Or was the opening a public event?

icon14.gif Personally, I can't wait for a look. icon12.gif

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Nobody seemed to take any notice.. you can drive in around the place. Seems to be busy during the day, no idea if its staff or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is this open 24 hours or limited times?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Kahless wrote: »
    Is this open 24 hours or limited times?

Limited times.. Open till 10 every night bar Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Finally, delighted it to see it happen after all this time. No more having to go into town on the day off just to do a shop, or having to do it when you're tired after work.
    Major boost on the jobs front for the town , sure mostly only low paid retail jobs but at least they're in Tramore and not Waterford. lets hope it's the beginning of a little bit more self sufficiency for the town itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Did it open yet?

mickger wrote: »
    Did it open yet?

October 10th.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

_FRANK_; Wow, talk about making a sensationalist statement while also sounds a little racist. TBH i'll shop wherever is best value and if we only shopped in Irish shops because they were Irish, we would be ripped off.

_FRANK_; Unless you can backup this statements, im removing it. Its incredibly dangerous to post up such an allegation without proof. PM one of the forum moderators with reliable proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Oh dear.

_FRANK_ is being a bit naughty again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 _FRANK_

yea i sent proof and sully yet again is not a man of his word no surprises there then

_FRANK_ wrote: »
    yea i sent proof and sully yet again is not a man of his word no surprises there then
    Do not drag this thread off topic please.

Any problems you have take it to feedback or the help desk.

Thats my final word on this.

Oh and I deleted your last post.

muffler wrote: »
    Do not drag this thread off topic please.

Any problems you have take it to feedback or the help desk.

Thats my final word on this.

Oh and I deleted your last post.

fair enough but it seems to me that there are people here with the problems so no i won't be taking it up with feedback or the help desk just to keep it on topic tesco sucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I'm not sure what frank said but I have 2 good friends who are now unemployed because of Tesco at the moment and I could be heading thaqt way myself soon too.

Tesco are importing a huge amount of their products from the UK because of the weak sterling.

Volvic
    Pepsi
    7up
    Nestle

Are just a small few of the products they are importing and costing jobs. You might say that these products aren't Irish but they are produced here under license and distributed here by companies like Richmond Marketing and Britvic Ireland (formerly C&C Ireland)

Richmond have just let 25 sales people go due to this. Other companies have and are letting people go too.

I for one will not be shopping in Tesco.

By no means am I encouraging people to avoid or boycott Tesco but I'd rather see them support Irish companies and employment rather than worry about their carbon footprint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

I never shop in Tesco. The only thing I would give them is (my love for muffler editing my post)

Mod edit: We can do without that type of comment.

have you proof? basically thats what i was saying but they asked me for proof all my threads have been deleted on this matter i'm not setting foot in tesco's neither is any member of my family i also believe you should support irish jobs and irish products.tesco supports none of these.will this post get deleted also?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

_FRANK_ wrote: »
    have you proof? basically thats what i was saying but they asked me for proof all my threads have been deleted on this matter i'm not setting foot in tesco's neither is any member of my family i also believe you should support irish jobs and irish products.tesco supports none of these.will this post get deleted also?

No Frank, your post was about how the money people spend in Tesco goes to make bombs to kill innocent people. While Onkle's post makes sense he doesn't need to dramatise it to get his point across.

I'm going to ask you to use a bit of common sense when you're posting. There's no free speech here. Any comments you make that may be seen as libellous can get boards.ie into trouble. Any future comments you make that we think can be seen as libellous will earn you a ban. Dragging this thread further off topic will earn you a ban. Final warning.

As muffler said, if you have a problem with the moderation in this (or any) forum take it to feedback or the helpdesk.

I for one wish that posts wouldn't be deleted unless it was something vile , maybe it was but we'll never know now.

Can Tescos really be any better or worse than their Irish based competition for stocking and selling Irish produce, I don't think so.
    I see plenty of Irish produce on their shelves alongside with everything else, surely it is down to the consumer and I don't think the "Buy Irish" mentality exists at all. Supermarkets are there to whatever goods that sell, down to the person if they want to support Ireland Inc. if they want too.

rasper wrote: »
    I for one wish that posts wouldn't be deleted unless it was something vile , maybe it was but we'll never know now.

Can Tescos really be any better or worse than their Irish based competition for stocking and selling Irish produce, I don't think so.
    I see plenty of Irish produce on their shelves alongside with everything else, surely it is down to the consumer and I don't think the "Buy Irish" mentality exists at all. Supermarkets are there to whatever goods that sell, down to the person if they want to support Ireland Inc. if they want too.

There's a good discussion here but don't want to drag the thread off topic. Maybe my post could be removed and put wherever the mods think suitable? Possibly economics?

Just to clarify, we have had to delete posts because they were accusations against Tesco which were not backed up with reliable sources (showing me their profit margins isnt proof) and could result in legal action by Tesco against Boards.ie. Such posts have and always will be deleted on sight. They were not your typical rant against english stores, but far worse.

Can we stick to the topic please? All politics related issues, please take them to the Politics forum.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

went by the new tesco myself yesterday and i have to say it looks very impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

It was mentioned earlier some UK Supermakets rip off their Irish cutomers - they do --- see links below..
    The government lobbying wont do much for the sales reps in Ireland as some UK supermarkets will rpobably still purchase thier goods on a weak sterling and just pass on a minority of the savings to thier irish customers to appease the situation and say they are customer focused.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0527/breaking74.htm

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tesco-one-of-seven-firms-fined-for-not-displaying-their-prices-1435055.html

http://www.finegael.ie/news/index.cfm/type/details/nkey/23201

Did anyone mention the number of new jobs created for the locals with the opening of this store?

I thought not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

Tesco have created 93 jobs in the town

Supervalu employ 120 people.

The town is plenty large to sustain two supermarkets; Im sure most of the people who regurlarly shop in Waterford City Tesco stores will probably move thier weekly shop to Tesco Tramore.

Hopefully people will also still support the local store and their new upgrade..
    Lets hope both survive and all employees are still employeed for years to come.

It is freedom of choice what store Eire or otherwise people support - I posted the links regarding the ripping off of Irish customers mainly because it is true and I didnt see the person's original post who mentioned it... but they seemed to have got a bit of a hard time for mentioning it..........

depaor wrote: »
    Tesco have created 93 jobs in the town

Supervalu employ 120 people.

The town is plenty large to sustain two supermarkets; Im sure most of the people who regurlarly shop in Waterford City Tesco stores will probably move thier weekly shop to Tesco Tramore.

Hopefully people will also still support the local store and their new upgrade..
    Lets hope both survive and all employees are still employeed for years to come.

Not a huge difference.. though I didnt think SV would have more staff hired! Seems a lot smaller when you go in store.. interesting! To be fair to Tesco, they have given loads of Irish people jobs in the past and continue to do so (I think one of the local papers covered the amount in Waterford recently). They offer great value for money and while its claimed they rip us off in other ways - its not going to stop many shopping there if it works out cheaper then their local store!

I think, from speaking to people, a lot of SV shoppers are going to move because there annoyed at SV for being over priced and only doing up the store when competiton arrived (some were annoyed at the timing the new work started, how long its taken, the mess the store is in now etc). I liked the old store tbh, but do feel it was bad timing to go doing up the store. Plus it would be easier to do it when its closed at night. Its a mess down there at the moment.

To be fair to Quish, he has employeed a lot of staff and done good for the town. Yes hes over priced, and yes people are right to be pissed but he didnt screw us over completely.
    It is freedom of choice what store Eire or otherwise people support - I posted the links regarding the ripping off of Irish customers mainly because it is true and I didnt see the person's original post who mentioned it... but they seemed to have got a bit of a hard time for mentioning it..........

He got a "hard time" for something completely different.

muffler wrote: »
    Did anyone mention the number of new jobs created for the locals with the opening of this store?

I thought not.

I call to Tesco every day and I don't know one employee who likes their job or thinks they are treated fairly.
    Morale among Tesco employees is really really low. Also when a new Tesco opens they have high numbers of staff, after the 'run in' period these numbers are cut back.

also with regards Tesco being cheaper, Tesco are bringing Volvic water from the UK at a cheaper price while Dunnes Stores buy from an Irish supplier and charge the same price

Onkle wrote: »
    I call to Tesco every day and I don't know one employee who likes their job or thinks they are treated fairly.
    Morale among Tesco employees is really really low. Also when a new Tesco opens they have high numbers of staff, after the 'run in' period these numbers are cut back.

Iv heard different storys btw, even on Joe Duffy! Iv heard stories about every fecking store in the country!
    also with regards Tesco being cheaper, Tesco are bringing Volvic water from the UK at a cheaper price while Dunnes Stores buy from an Irish supplier and charge the same price

Still cheaper in areas tho. But I do agree with your point, it isnt right.

While I never want to play Devils advovate for a multi national I feel Tesco is being unfairly singled out here, the fact is Ireland has through bad government a higher cost base and less competition than in the UK and six counties , I reckon Dunnes would charge more if they though they could get away with it and pretty confident that if they could get the same price from Volvic with a higher profit margin than that is the filtered tap water they'd push. Aren't Aldi and Lidl cheaper up North too and not passing on the weak sterling rate.
    FG and the rest try to blame private business for making as much profit as possible(the prerogative fo private enterprise of course), when the government are responsible for letting Ireland inflate to one of the most expensive countries in the EU.
    Can't blame Tesco for that, we can blame lack of competition,rising costs and the apathetic consumer.
    Once again not a Tesco groupy just a realist

Sully wrote: »
    Iv heard different storys btw, even on Joe Duffy! Iv heard stories about every fecking store in the country!

I've seen it with my own eyes in numerous stores. The company have no ethics whatsoever.

Also don't get me wrong, this isn't an anti English rant, I'll buy from Dixons, Boots etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

rasper wrote: »
    I reckon Dunnes would charge more if they though they could get away with it..

Dunnes DO charge more, and deserve to be tarred with exactly the same brush. They were persisting with the "standard" €1.50ish/£1 exchange rate months after the actual exchange rate was around the €1.25 mark. Their response - remove the dual price tags so people aren't aware of the level of rip off. I haven't checked recently to see whether they're still at it, but they certainly were over the summer (compared prices in Dunnes in Derry and Waterford for exactly the same items).

Advertisement